Post-Game Talk: Oilers Win 4-2: Started from the bottom now we're here

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
I don't understand how anyone thinks Stempniak's hit was clean.

Ference didn't have possession of the puck, he's not eligible to be hit, so the hit on him is far from clean.

Anyone that has an issue with that fight should be complaining about the officials, when a player takes 2 cheap/questionable hits within a few seconds of each and there is no protection from the officials, then I have no issue with them protecting themselves.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
It looked to me like Ference took a cross check to the back right before that with the Flame breaking his stick across his back. I'm sure that didn't help. Good on Ference. I'd love to see Hall do that the next time someone hits him on the numbers.

And would you love to see Hall picking up his teeth the next time he lays a clean hit on the forecheck?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
A little confidence goes a long way. When Ebs scored that goal, the game changed. We dominated the 3rd. I just hope they keep it going.

This was the turning point in my mind as well. Eakins put that line out a lot the rest of the way and they hemmed Calgary in their own end for almost their entire shifts. That is what a teams top line needs to do to win games and they finally did it, although for just a period. Hopefully they can get their confidence back and continue to play like that.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010

Ference didn't have possession of the puck, he's not eligible to be hit, so the hit on him is far from clean.

Anyone that has an issue with that fight should be complaining about the officials, when a player takes 2 cheap/questionable hits within a few seconds of each and there is no protection from the officials, then I have no issue with them protecting themselves.

Hm. I didn't see a replay of the check, but it seemed fine to me. Looked like Ference had touched the puck first. Even Ference didn't call it dirty or anything in the post-game interviews. Just said he got hit "pretty hard" and it "seemed like a good time to go" (or something to that effect).

Like I said, hilariously satisfying to watch, but if the shoe is on the other foot and it's one of our boys looking for red Chiclets on the ice, I'm losing my mind and crying bloody murder. :laugh:

UnrefinedCrude

Jun 7, 2011
Hm. I didn't see a replay of the check, but it seemed fine to me. Looked like Ference had touched the puck first. Even Ference didn't call it dirty or anything in the post-game interviews. Just said he got hit "pretty hard" and it "seemed like a good time to go" (or something to that effect).

Like I said, hilariously satisfying to watch, but if the shoe is on the other foot and it's one of our boys looking for red Chiclets on the ice, I'm losing my mind and crying bloody murder. :laugh:

he didn't touch it. there was no clean hit. Oilers fans acting as apologists are embarrassing.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
he didn't touch it. there was no clean hit. Oilers fans acting as apologists are embarrassing.

Who's apologizing? I thought it looked clean. I don't enjoy seeing a player get jumped for making a clean hit. (Well, actually, since it's Calgary, I did enjoy it, but I still think it's wrong. :laugh:)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I didn't even know the Ference fight was an issue until coming to the board here the next day.

At the time it was obvious... a guy got crushed and dirty or not (doesn't matter) he decided to take it out on the guy that crushed him. You throw a big hit... expect that it could piss someone off and be prepared for the repercussions... that's hockey.

I'm sure the whole situation with the team being crap recently and being outplayed game after game (including this game up to that point) was frustrating as well and goes through a player's mind constantly... then getting crunched like that... well something has to give and you just go at the guy to take out frustrations as well.

It's not as if Ference jumped him from behind with a dirty head shot or something. He faced him and wanted to fight... either stick up for yourself or be a ***** and turtle... only 2 options. Stempniak chose the wrong one unfortunately for his teeth but so it goes in hockey.

These guys are pretty close in size and weight so it wasn't like a John Scott guy beating down on RNH or something.

Ya I'd be pissed if it happened to an Oiler in a similar context but that's hockey... man up, grab your sack and throw down when challenged... better to go down swinging than to stand there getting beat on. Just ask Gagner.

blueracer17

Sep 27, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
It looked to me like Ference took a cross check to the back right before that with the Flame breaking his stick across his back. I'm sure that didn't help. Good on Ference. I'd love to see Hall do that the next time someone hits him on the numbers.

Hall tried that once, remember? It didn't end well for his ankle.

Oct 15, 2008

The puck was right there.

The hit was clean.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Ha, come on. So all hits now need to be answered for by fighting? I know 'the code' is unwritten, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. If that's Yakupov or Perron picking his teeth up off the ice because he laid a clean check on Brodie, I suspect you'd all have a different opinion. ;)

That's not it at all. The point is, I don't have a problem with retribution on ANY hit, clean or dirty. If that retribution comes in the form of another hit, a whack of the stick, a fight, etc., it sends the same message, which is you're not going to get any free shots on our players.

And let's not act like Stempniak is some defenseless kid who got jumped out of the blue by some goon either. Ference is 5'11", 187lbs (smaller than Stempniak).

Any my point wasn't just on the Ference mugging, it was that this thought that if a hit is clean, you shouldn't do anything about it. Something tells me that Dave Semenko didn't check the rule book before responding to anyone putting Gretzky on his ass. No, it was "you push us, I'm pushing back"

duul

Jun 21, 2010
That was a nice clean hit by Stempniak. Puck is right there and you don't need to physically have it touching your stick. If it's in the vicinity and you have the opportunity to play it then the refs are most likely going to let it go.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
Are we supposed to give a **** about what the main board thinks now? :laugh:

Meh.

Typical HF piling on the Oilers. Yea, our team sucks and whatnot...but I can't say I didn't enjoy what Ference did.

I aint even mad:laugh:

I think he was taking his frustration of the team on Lee. Part of the game.

I didn't even know the Ference fight was an issue until coming to the board here the next day.

At the time it was obvious... a guy got crushed and dirty or not (doesn't matter) he decided to take it out on the guy that crushed him. You throw a big hit... expect that it could piss someone off and be prepared for the repercussions... that's hockey.

I'm sure the whole situation with the team being crap recently and being outplayed game after game (including this game up to that point) was frustrating as well and goes through a player's mind constantly... then getting crunched like that... well something has to give and you just go at the guy to take out frustrations as well.

It's not as if Ference jumped him from behind with a dirty head shot or something. He faced him and wanted to fight... either stick up for yourself or be a ***** and turtle... only 2 options. Stempniak chose the wrong one unfortunately for his teeth but so it goes in hockey.

These guys are pretty close in size and weight so it wasn't like a John Scott guy beating down on RNH or something.

Ya I'd be pissed if it happened to an Oiler in a similar context but that's hockey... man up, grab your sack and throw down when challenged... better to go down swinging than to stand there getting beat on. Just ask Gagner.

Ference was also checked from behind a couple of seconds earlier which I'm sure added to his frustration.

Oct 15, 2008
And that matters how? I'd take 2 min. SH for what Ference did everyday of the week. I think Ference beat him up out of embarassment of being knocked on his ass.

People are claiming the hit was dirty.

That's not even close to being dirty.

actionjackson

Jun 22, 2010
the fact that any Oiler fan is upset about Ference putting some knuckles in the face of an opponent reflects how butter soft our team has become...I for one have been waiting for this kind of leadership our of our new captain...He was cross-checked on the play before, got hit cleanly and said "enough"...from a hockey persepective I think Mr. Ference chose to ignite the fire in the belly of his team in a timely manner...I for one am not going to question whether or not the guy he fought was tough enough...

:handclap::handclap::handclap:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
People are claiming the hit was dirty.

That's not even close to being dirty.
He doesn't touch the puck but the puck is within reach so I can agree that the hit was clean. I still liked seeing that out of Ference, the Oilers need some grit and edge to their game.

Rancourt Fist Pump

Goulet-lite
Jul 30, 2010
Good for Ference. Seems like he was getting sort of mobbed on that whole sequence by the Flames forecheck.

Nothing wrong with the hit, but it's obvious Ference just had enough and decided to go. There's also nothing wrong with creating a little space for yourself out there. I'll bet Stempniak didn't blast him like that again.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Lol my ass off at anyone whining about Ference.

This team has lacked that kind of push back for years.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Do you any of you know what interference is?

He never touched the puck. The puck never changed direction or velocity. Therefore he was hit when he did not have possession of the puck.

It was not a hockey play, and what Ference did was not either. It was justice :)

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't understand how people fail to see Stempniak lift the elbow directly into Ference's noggin. That hit was dirty as all hell, and I'm proud of Ference for bouncing right back up and feeding him some good shots.

Edit: http://imgur.com/1bsC73t
1bsC73t.png

That elbow is up, man.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I don't understand how people fail to see Stempniak lift the elbow directly into Ference's noggin. That hit was dirty as all hell, and I'm proud of Ference for bouncing right back up and feeding him some good shots.

Edit: http://imgur.com/1bsC73t
1bsC73t.png

That elbow is up, man.

You can't even find a frame showing the elbow touching the head. Give it up. He pushed out with his arm after contact.

Next we'll hear how he slew footed him or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad