Oilers win 3-2 (OT) in Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I still want to trade them as I think we would be able to shore up the blueline. We already have a good top 6 of:
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Pouliot/McDavid/Yakupov

RNH and Ebs can put up points but they do not play a physical game and struggle with getting the puck out of their own end against the big physical teams

This is how I feel as well. Eberle' go to play getting it out of the zone is frustrating at times: chill near the blue line, puck comes to him, attempt to no look golf wedge it out of the zone to Center ice where the other team gets it and re enters the zone. Rinse and repeat.

Points are nice, eberle is a fantastic goal scorer, but I believe he doesn't play a big enough game for this team to be successful in the long run.

Just my 0.02

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I am really curious about what the lineup will look like once everyone gets healthy.

Better, much better.

I'd assume that Pouliot-McDavid-Yak slot into one of the lines, the top 6 remains the same with the possible exception of Khaira getting subbed out for a grinder of your choice and the AHLers and 13th forwards go back to where they belong.

I'm curious to see what the 4th line options will be. It's going to get awfully crowded with Letestu, Lander, Hendricks, Korpikoski, Pakarinen (probably gets sent down), Klnkhammer and Gazdic. I have a feeling that Hendricks, Klinkhammer or Korpikoski get bumped up to the RNH-Eberle line if Khaira gets sent down.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
I assume Khaira would be sent back down when everyones healthy....

He did not have a good game last night.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I still want to trade them as I think we would be able to shore up the blueline. We already have a good top 6 of:
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Pouliot/McDavid/Yakupov

That right side is awful. Purcell is not a long term solution (and I say that as one of his few defenders). As for Yakupov, he's still can't be counted on to produce anything and if he's not producing he's basically useless.

RNH and Ebs can put up points but they do not play a physical game and struggle with getting the puck out of their own end against the big physical team

They were the best forwards against the big physical Boston Bruins last night.

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
Ot loss to New Jersey 6-5 I believe blew a 5-2 lead.

I remember that, one of the best regular season games I've ever seen, even though we lost. Mike Grier gave the puck away with ten seconds left in OT, and their guy slap shotted it in from just inside the blue line.

They were the two hottest teams in the league coming in, and the NJ win would be part of a 13-game winning streak they went on.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
That right side is awful. Purcell is not a long term solution (and I say that as one of his few defenders). As for Yakupov, he's still can't be counted on to produce anything and if he's not producing he's basically useless.

Yak will at least throw hits when he's not producing and is good on the for echeck. I want to see what he can do when he actually has a skilled center for a whole season. I will admit he isn't great when on a line with 4th line plugs but he has produced with gagner Roy and mcdavid.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Hall/Draisaitl/Purcell
Pouliot/McDavid/Yakupov

RNH and Ebs can put up points but they do not play a physical game and struggle with getting the puck out of their own end against the big physical teams

Half of that top six is getting carried by the three star players on the team (Hall, Draisaitl and McDavid). What happens when injuries occur? Purcell, Pouliot and Yak can't create offence on their own. That's why Ebs and Nuge are important.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I was actually saying I am still here with regards to your query towards whether people in the pro-trade camp are still around. You have to give to get, and the Oilers badly need another high level defenseman on the backend.

GMs are not fickle like fans either(unless they are really bad GMs), they know what Eberle/RNH are capable of and aren't going to suffer short term memory loss unless it serves them to get a better deal. It's an offseason type deal anyways, which would negate the game to game fluctuations if it were actually a factor.

Well said . I am in the trade one of them for a good RHD or Trade RNH for a RHD and a 3rd line C that is good for 15 to 20 goals a year . Can't continue to have 6 million on your 3rd line unless you are saying F the D

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Yak will at least throw hits when he's not producing and is good on the for echeck.

No, no he's not. The dozen games before his injury he was doing sweet FA out there.

I want to see what he can do when he actually has a skilled center for a whole season.

Fine, but you don't trade away your best right-winger until you know what you have in him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Half of that top six is getting carried by the three star players on the team (Hall, Draisaitl and McDavid). What happens when injuries occur? Purcell, Pouliot and Yak can't create offence on their own. That's why Ebs and Nuge are important.

Well hopefully you'd be able to pick someone up in free agency, through a seperate trade or through the trade involving either of those guys itself. The idea shouldn't be to run with what we got but rather use the good tradechips we have to strengthen the blueline and then you fill in the gaps with FA's or have one of the returning pieces of a deal involving a d-man to be a middle-six winger and/or elite #3C. If you trade Ebs or Nuge you obviously have to add someone else in their spot.

Oct 15, 2008
Wheres all the guys that wanna trade RNH and Ebs? Guys? You still there?

Sounds like something said after Gagner's 8pt night.

Of course we are still here. So are the team's deficiencies, unless you expect to keep winning games we are out shot 2-1, those deficiencies will need to be addressed.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

You can sign decent 40-50 point wingers in free agency if needed. The fact of the matter is that the Oilers are going to have to address the D at some point and they're most likely going to have to give up something of value. Getting Sekeras (#3-4 dman) in free agency is nice and everything but we need at least 1 top pairing dman and you're usually not going to find that in free agency.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
You can sign decent 40-50 point wingers in free agency if needed.

That's not a plan, nor are such players as common as you seem to think. How many guys were on the market this past off season who were even close? Joel Ward and Justin Williams maybe?

The fact of the matter is that the Oilers are going to have to address the D at some point and they're most likely going to have to give up something of value.
Getting Sekeras (#3-4 dman) in free agency is nice and everything but we need at least 1 top pairing dman and you're usually not going to find that in free agency.

You don't get those via trade either. If the fact that virtually no star-for-star trades happen these days, especially involving top pairing dmen, doesn't tell you something, the fact that the most realistic trade proposal involving RNH or Eberle is RNH for Seth Jones, a guy who isn't even a top pairing dman as yet, should.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Everyone wants to trade for a good d-man but I dont see any teams looking to trade those away no matter what we're offering up. You can get a problem d-man for another problem guy like the Daley for Scuderi deal but I think every team needs defencemen and your unlikely to get a quality guy unless there is a problem like he's about to be a UFA. You dont deal RNH or Eberle for an impending free agent. We are either going to have to develop our d or sign a UFA in the summer. Signing a free agent might mean we need to deal someone to clear some cap space going forward but it'll likely be for third liners, picks and/or prospects. That's just the way it is in the NHL now with the tight cap and fears of it staying stagnant.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This is how I feel as well. Eberle' go to play getting it out of the zone is frustrating at times: chill near the blue line, puck comes to him, attempt to no look golf wedge it out of the zone to Center ice where the other team gets it and re enters the zone. Rinse and repeat.

Points are nice, eberle is a fantastic goal scorer, but I believe he doesn't play a big enough game for this team to be successful in the long run.

Just my 0.02

pick your poison. Nashville has bigger forwards and they assert themselves more, but they don't bury their chances. They can be imposing at times, but lately they are sputtering and their lack of skill is showing.

At the end of the day, hockey is about scoring goals, not possession or physicality.

Oct 15, 2008
pick your poison. Nashville has bigger forwards and they assert themselves more, but they don't bury their chances. They can be imposing at times, but lately they are sputtering and their lack of skill is showing.

At the end of the day, hockey is about scoring goals, not possession or physicality.

And if the other team is scoring more than you..........

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Well said . I am in the trade one of them for a good RHD or Trade RNH for a RHD and a 3rd line C that is good for 15 to 20 goals a year . Can't continue to have 6 million on your 3rd line unless you are saying F the D

Agreed, especially on the cap considerations. That was pretty much my first thought when the Oilers won the lottery for Mcdavid.

I actually wouldn't mind keeping Eberle though, since the idea of moving forward with Yakupov as the top line right winger is a bit more risk than I'd like to see. RNH on the other hand represents the only forward position of strength in the organization now, and could actually have the value to get the type of guy the Oilers need on the defense. I initially figured it would take longer before a move could even be considered because it seemed like Drai would need more time to establish himself in the league, but he's outright replaced RNH as the top center and looks like he'll play Malkin to Mcdavid's Crosby going forward.

Hell of a swing from a year ago when the center position in any case.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Where is the GDT for tonight ...
Time for Hall+Drai to show RNH-Ebs that they are more than just home ice bullies. :)

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
And if the other team is scoring more than you..........

Good teams keep the goal scorer and configure the team around them to limit goals against. Besides, with Ebs I dont think hes a bad two way player. On a better team that would be more apparent.

Oct 15, 2008
Good teams keep the goal scorer and configure the team around them to limit goals against. Besides, with Ebs I dont think hes a bad two way player. On a better team that would be more apparent.

We arent a good team. We would be a better team if we took some of our redundancy (fancy dans) and parlayed them into a solid dman.

Eberle will never fully engage and is a full on liability in the dzone. If doing fly by's and stick waiving is your idea of good two way play he's your guy.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Yak will at least throw hits when he's not producing and is good on the for echeck. I want to see what he can do when he actually has a skilled center for a whole season. I will admit he isn't great when on a line with 4th line plugs but he has produced with gagner Roy and mcdavid.

Yak outside of sponging off of McDavid and Pouliot for secondary assits has proven himself 110% expendable. Still seems to be lost in the defensive zone. Still more often than not he seems to have an allergic reaction to contact.

Sure he hits everyonce in a while. Sure he has some offensive potential. But I prefer Purcell in every way imaginable. A much better complimentary winger. I would prefer having a guy like Kharia on the right side.

Anyone who thinks Yak could effectively replace a guy like Eberle is smoking some serious Crack.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Nashville also doesn't have a legit #1C. By the looks of it we have 3 of them right now. They don't have a McDavid or Hall or Draisaitl. If we deal Nuge and/or Ebs we still have quality players in our top6, Nashville does not. Pretty big difference.

Oct 15, 2008
Yak outside of sponging off of McDavid and Pouliot for secondary assits has proven himself 110% expendable. Still seems to be lost in the defensive zone. Still more often than not he seems to have an allergic reaction to contact.

Sure he hits everyonce in a while. Sure he has some offensive potential. But I prefer Purcell in every way imaginable. A much better complimentary winger. I would prefer having a guy like Kharia on the right side.

Anyone who thinks Yak could effectively replace a guy like Eberle is smoking some serious Crack.

Complete and utter nonsense.:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad