News Article: Oilers will play in Sweden and Germany in 18/19

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not just you

but I think a lot of NHL fans do not understand how much money can be made by doing this

there is a reason why both the NBA and NFL play games here in London--but some NHL teams and nhl fans just do not want to understand or refuse to accept how dynamic it is to do things beyond that which you have already done

within ten years there will be an NFL team in London
You misread my post. What I was trying to say was I was surprised Katz was willing to trade the revenue from a home date at Rogers for whatever he’d get for a “home” date in Sweden. As it turns out he isn’t. There is only one game in Sweden and the Devils are the home team.

Sorry JTS, I don’t believe for a second this game will sell as many tickets at the price seats in Edmonton go for. Not in Sweden and not for two games. Feel free to tell us what people pay for hockey tickets in Europe. I doubt they’re in the same ballpark as what we’re paying.

I don’t think NFL games in London are a great comparison either. What kind of football is played in Europe that can be remotely compared to the NFL? Lots of high level hockey in Europe even if it’s a step below the NHL. NFL football would be a novelty worth paying for. Not so sure about NHL. Regardless of how much money is made on those games it’s always lower profile teams playing in them and not premier teams giving up home dates to go.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
You misread my post. What I was trying to say was I was surprised Katz was willing to trade the revenue from a home date at Rogers for whatever he’d get for a “home” date in Sweden. As it turns out he isn’t. There is only one game in Sweden and the Devils are the home team.

Sorry JTS, I don’t believe for a second this game will sell as many tickets at the price seats in Edmonton go for. Not in Sweden and not for two games. Feel free to tell us what people pay for hockey tickets in Europe. I doubt they’re in the same ballpark as what we’re paying.

I don’t think NFL games in London are a great comparison either. What kind of football is played in Europe that can be remotely compared to the NFL? Lots of high level hockey in Europe even if it’s a step below the NHL. NFL football would be a novelty worth paying for. Not so sure about NHL. Regardless of how much money is made on those games it’s always lower profile teams playing in them and not premier teams giving up home dates to go.

The games this fall were sold out, 13396 seats, the average price for a ticket was 156 canadian dollars and the top seats (not including vip lounges) were about 340 dollars. Don't know how that compares to the usual price point for a game against NJ.

I personally think having games all over the world is silly btw. Way too much traveling circus for my taste but I guess it's a way to sell the product.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The games this fall were sold out, 13396 seats, the average price for a ticket was 156 canadian dollars and the top seats (not including vip lounges) were about 340 dollars. Don't know how that compares to the usual price point for a game against NJ.

I personally think having games all over the world is silly btw. Way too much traveling circus for my taste but I guess it's a way to sell the product.
I’ll admit that’s better than I thought they’d be but still over 4,000 capacity lower than here. I just think that because there is only one game and the Devils are the home team that the gate is significantly lower than Edmonton.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
I'll go watch the Sweden ones.

I don't know about the ticket prices in Sweden, but in Finland when I watched NHL last time I think it was around 200€ per ticket and it was sold out.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Boring that they play in Stockholm every time. If it's on the weekend I might try and catch a game. Would be cool to finally see this team live.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Not just you

but I think a lot of NHL fans do not understand how much money can be made by doing this

there is a reason why both the NBA and NFL play games here in London--but some NHL teams and nhl fans just do not want to understand or refuse to accept how dynamic it is to do things beyond that which you have already done

within ten years there will be an NFL team in London

I find it hard for any native European to get excited about American football.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Boring that they play in Stockholm every time. If it's on the weekend I might try and catch a game. Would be cool to finally see this team live.
Are there any Cities other Then Stockholm,Gothenburg and Malmö that you think would be good hosts?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Are there any Cities other Then Stockholm,Gothenburg and Malmö that you think would be good hosts?

Well, travel wise I guess those three makes the most sense since they have big airports in the vicinity, but hockey and fan wise it would be cool to host a game somewhere farther north. For example Umeå/Örnsköldsvik are hosting the U18 worlds next year. I think Skellefteå would be a good location as well. In the south I think Växjö would be a cool place and have a lot of support, but again it's inconvenient travel wise. Stockholm to me is just a boring city overall and I am not fond of travelling there. It has no charm or character.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stud Muffin

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I’ll admit that’s better than I thought they’d be but still over 4,000 capacity lower than here. I just think that because there is only one game and the Devils are the home team that the gate is significantly lower than Edmonton.
I don't think the main goal is ticket revenue, it's PR. They will never compete with ticket revenue in Canada.

Last edited:

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think the main goal is ticket revenue, it's PR. They will never compete with ticket revenue in Canada.
Of course it is. I came into this thread saying these games are a good idea. It was JTS who said they were a big money maker and I disagreed with him. All the proof we need to know that they aren’t is that the Oilers are only going for one game instead of two which is what the norm is. They don’t want to give up one of their home dates in Edmonton for a “home” date in Sweden.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Of course it is. I came into this thread saying these games are a good idea. It was JTS who said they were a big money maker and I disagreed with him. All the proof we need to know that they aren’t is that the Oilers are only going for one game instead of two which is what the norm is. They don’t want to give up one of their home dates in Edmonton for a “home” date in Sweden.
I missed the context :)

Anyhow, I guess they can make money on sales of products and/or people buying, for example, nhl gamecenter. Don't know, but showcasing McDavid in Europe could be significant. He is not yet very known except amongst people already very much into hockey/NHL.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
This should put a fork in us for next year. Dont see this team recovering from a trip to Europe
It's a trip to Europe, not Mars. It's not a big deal. If you've ever traveled to Europe, it can mess with you for a day or two after returning. But I'm sure the fans and everyone in the media will use this as a excuse for the team if they suck again next year.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Well, travel wise I guess those three makes the most sense since they have big airports in the vicinity, but hockey and fan wise it would be cool to host a game somewhere farther north. For example Umeå/Örnsköldsvik are hosting the U18 worlds next year. I think Skellefteå would be a good location as well. In the south I think Växjö would be a cool place and have a lot of support, but again it's inconvenient travel wise. Stockholm to me is just a boring city overall and I am not fond of travelling there. It has no charm or character.
Go to Köln, I know that's where I will ve seeing them (even though I am Swedish). Great town and lots of good beer.

I'd like to go to sthlm as well but first priority will be the Germany game.

EuroTide

Sep 19, 2008
YEAH!!! :banana:
Been waiting for more than 25 years to watch the Oilers live, it's finally happening!
Guess the game in Germany will be played in Cologne, though I'd consider flying to Sweden aswell.

same here ! not 25 years though but a long time.
Cologne would be perfect as i wouldnt even need a hotel room, could possibly even host a few fellow Oilers fans

i know its just been anounced, but im kinda scared to miss out on tickets as the next few months will be really busy for me.
where should we potentially go to check ? eventim, nhl website, ticketmaster ?

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Go to Köln, I know that's where I will ve seeing them (even though I am Swedish). Great town and lots of good beer.

Yeah, I actually wrote that in my post before I edited it, that I'd actually rather go to Cologne (which by all accounts seems like a great city) and where I live now I'm pretty sure it'd actually be cheaper too, but I'm moving soon which makes it a bit more inconvenient so we'll see.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Its going to be rad for Drai to play at home

Actually bruv he recently played for Germany in the IIHF WC in May 2017 here. Def cool for my Oilers to show up here tho. I'd like to see them absolutely destroy the Haie/Sharks to demonstrate the skill gap to the German hockey community.

Any of u who are legit coming send me a PM if you need anything.

GreatGretz99

Oct 26, 2005
Any ideas on if tickets will be sold with the rest of the season? Or if they usually do a separate sale for them?
Will be amazing to see McJesus live!

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Actually bruv he recently played for Germany in the IIHF WC in May 2017 here. Def cool for my Oilers to show up here tho. I'd like to see them absolutely destroy the Haie/Sharks to demonstrate the skill gap to the German hockey community.

Any of u who are legit coming send me a PM if you need anything.
I just need someone to point me towards where I can find Kölsch :thumbu:

Jk, I will be bringing the family so it'll be a relaxed trip (I will have some Kölsch though).

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
I just need someone to point me towards where I can find Kölsch :thumbu:

In the Lanxess arena at the concession or via. the guys walking around with kegs on their backs.
Directly outside the Lanxess arena there are beer vendors in trailers.
In Deutz at the brauhas in the train station (Köln Messe/Deutz), Joe Champs, Lommerzheim, ...
On the other side of the river in pretty much every one of hundreds of kiosks or thousands of bars or restaurants.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad