News Article: Oilers will play in Sweden and Germany in 18/19

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
These are good things, contribute to team bonding and stuff albeit I would have preferred Germany/Finland. The difficulty endured by team on a charter flight (remember they don't fly like the rest of us) is maybe 2hrs more of inconvenience than Flying to NY. Or Florida. Its not a hardship and players tend to love it, can take families etc along. I wonder if the Germany game is in Cologne. That would be cool for Leon.

I might actually arrange a holiday to coordinate with this.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
These are good things, contribute to team bonding and stuff albeit I would have preferred Germany/Finland. The difficulty endured by team on a charter flight (remember they don't fly like the rest of us) is maybe 2hrs more of inconvenience than Flying to NY. Or Florida. Its not a hardship and players tend to love it, can take families etc along. I wonder if the Germany game is in Cologne. That would be cool for Leon.

I might actually arrange a holiday to coordinate with this.
Cologne has the biggest(18,500) and nicest rink in Germany, so that would be my guess as where the game will be played. Late September is beautiful in Cologne and it’s a short trip to Munich for the Oktoberfest.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
This should put a fork in us for next year. Dont see this team recovering from a trip to Europe

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Gary has to rig the draft lottery for sure now that Dahlin can open up his nhl career in Sweden.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Guaranteed Dahlin win now. Not even a doubt.

The biased officiating, the weird coaching from a supposed quality coach... it was all part of the plan.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This sucks.

Team will likely be off to a slow start and jet lagged.
How will we know?

Seriously who cares about that? It’s an 82 game season. If they’re a decent enough team they’ll be just fine. If they’re like they are this year it won’t matter where they play. This is a good thing for this team right now. It’ll mean a lot for Draisatl to play a game in Germany and it’ll mean a lot for Larsson and Klefbom to play a couple games in Sweden.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
How will we know?

Seriously who cares about that? It’s an 82 game season. If they’re a decent enough team they’ll be just fine. If they’re like they are this year it won’t matter where they play. This is a good thing for this team right now. It’ll mean a lot for Draisatl to play a game in Germany and it’ll mean a lot for Larsson and Klefbom to play a couple games in Sweden.

You mean only Larsson.....:naughty:

Reactions: McDaddy

McJazz

Jun 18, 2016
Gothenburg
This is fantastic! As a big Swedish Oilers fan I can tell you that I can't recall the last time I was this excited for something. After all the times I've gone up at 3 or 4 just to see Edmonton play, this will be fantastic. Let's go Oilers!

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005

Looks like I was wrong, Taylor Hall will make his visit to Edmonton next season.

Definitely still bang on about the Tre Kronor on defense. ;)

the4thlinegrinder

Jul 25, 2011
The Bench
While I know there are some people grumbling about this trip screwing up the start of the season, it’s worth noting that there was a 4 year stretch where the eventual Stanley Cup champions started their seasons in Europe. 2008 Pittsburgh, 2009 Chicago, 2010 Boston, 2011 LA. Perhaps these trips help bonding and team chemistry more than they mess up internal clocks.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
This is fantastic! As a big Swedish Oilers fan I can tell you that I can't recall the last time I was this excited for something. After all the times I've gone up at 3 or 4 just to see Edmonton play, this will be fantastic. Let's go Oilers!
Forgot to mention another great reason for this is all the teams fans in Sweden that follow Larsson and Klefbom.

Looks like I was wrong, Taylor Hall will make his visit to Edmonton next season.

Definitely still bang on about the Tre Kronor on defense. ;)

This is interesting. I have to admit my first reaction to this was surprise that the Oilers would be giving up the revenue of a home game at Rogers over what they’d get in Sweden. That they aren’t makes the most sense to me. Still surprised you’d travel to Europe for only the one regular season game though.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
While I know there are some people grumbling about this trip screwing up the start of the season, it’s worth noting that there was a 4 year stretch where the eventual Stanley Cup champions started their seasons in Europe. 2008 Pittsburgh, 2009 Chicago, 2010 Boston, 2011 LA. Perhaps these trips help bonding and team chemistry more than they mess up internal clocks.
I think it’s ridiculous to think a European game to open a 6 month, 82 game season can sewer a season. Only a lousy team can do that. People getting their excuses ready early I suppose.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Forgot to mention another great reason for this is all the teams fans in Sweden that follow Larsson and Klefbom.

This is interesting. I have to admit my first reaction to this was surprise that the Oilers would be giving up the revenue of a home game at Rogers over what they’d get in Sweden. That they aren’t makes the most sense to me. Still surprised you’d travel to Europe for only the one regular season game though.

Lol it's probably cheaper for the Devils owner

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

This is interesting. I have to admit my first reaction to this was surprise that the Oilers would be giving up the revenue of a home game at Rogers over what they’d get in Sweden.
That they aren’t makes the most sense to me. Still surprised you’d travel to Europe for only the one regular season game though.

Not just you

but I think a lot of NHL fans do not understand how much money can be made by doing this

there is a reason why both the NBA and NFL play games here in London--but some NHL teams and nhl fans just do not want to understand or refuse to accept how dynamic it is to do things beyond that which you have already done

within ten years there will be an NFL team in London

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think it's great for the team, awesome for Draisaitl, great for the league.

Good all the way around.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This should put a fork in us for next year. Dont see this team recovering from a trip to Europe

Meh idc about that. We have no clue what the roster will look like and hey, maybe it helps the team. Good experience, motivate players etc. Plus good for the fans in those countries

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
I think this is a good thing. Really cool to see the Oilers as part of the international games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->