Maroon - 50 pts
Puljujarvi - 45pts
RNH - 42pts
Slepyshev - 35 pts
Jokinen - 34 pts
Letestu - 32 pts
Caggiula - 26 pts
Kassian -25 pts

Oilers with 53 wins and 114 points. Tops in the West.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think Nurse takes a huge leap forward this year and loses a lot of the mistakes he would make due to inexperience in the past. I don't think he'll be an offensive powerhouse back there, but I could see a 30ish point season with sound defense and a near elite physical game.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I think Nurse takes a huge leap forward this year and loses a lot of the mistakes he would make due to inexperience in the past. I don't think he'll be an offensive powerhouse back there, but I could see a 30ish point season with sound defense and a near elite physical game.

These are both my hopes and feelings on Nurse as well. I'm a big fan of his game and he seems like he's still projecting upward fairly decently. I've seen an improvment every year so far...he's just getting better and better.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think (hope) that the young guys in the defensive all improve.
Klefbom with another step forward, moving into the company of top 20 D in the league.
Larsson solid as usual but with an unexpected touch of offense to his game.
Nurse and Benning becoming a good option for the 2nd pair, even after the return of Sekera.

For the forwards I think that Puljujarvi will take off within a couple months into the season.

I also think Drai will exceed expectations by proving his worth already before the Christmas break as 2C and 1RW whenever necessary.

Russel will disappoint imo, also Lucic and Maroon won't be able to keep the level of play they had last season.

Lucic will be the next player hfoil will want to run out of town.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Jeebus man, at least give Harpoon the credit for having his own opinion....would yah?

:sarcasm:

I figure both sides have valid points to Caggulla. One difference I do see in Drake is that when he does hit, he hits hard....even if it's a big player. I saw no such ability in Arco to be honest. But I've chosen to forget that part of Oiler history for some unknown reason. As for the OP question, right now I'm thinking that Strome is a good candidate to surpass/exceed expectations, at least from a number of posters here and in NYI territory. Since I haven't even seen him play I'll base this on the assumption that Chia knows WTF he's doing.

I don't see the Arcobello comparison outside of being short and feisty. Cagguila is a far better skater, he hits a lot harder because he hits at a faster speed and he has NHL level skills which I never saw in Arco. Some people think he's battling for a spot but I think he's a lock, one of the more underrated Oilers. I do have a tendency to favor these small, fast feisty players. I was a big Brule fanboy once upon a time so take my opinion with a large grain of salt. ;)

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't see the Arcobello comparison outside of being short and feisty. Cagguila is a far better skater, he hits a lot harder because he hits at a faster speed and he has NHL level skills which I never saw in Arco. Some people think he's battling for a spot but I think he's a lock, one of the more underrated Oilers. I do have a tendency to favor these small, fast feisty players. I was a big Brule fanboy once upon a time so take my opinion with a large grain of salt. ;)

Arco was short feisty, good skater but not as good as Cagullia from what I remember. Always finished his checks but not sure which one "hits harder". Incredible player in the AHL just a touch too short in every way.

Very similar players.

If not for Cagullia's somewhat impressive playoffs I think he would be our 13th forward this year. As it is I expect him to be used primarily on the bottom line barring injuries.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The Oilers have a very young team. An easier question would be who isn't going to improve next year. Due to the McDavid factor (as well as a few other talented players to a lesser extent) most players will improve. When you practice with/against him you can't help but get better or fall in to a deep depression due to your own lack of skills.

I think Gryba, Letestu, Sekera (injury) are the only ones who probably won't improve.

I would put Lucic and Russel, Talbot as the partly won't improve, (due to age, only a few years in the league, etc.) but improving due to it being their second year in the system. It seems to work that way.

The above may also improve because of who they practice with now and their coach.

The rest have a legitimate shot at improvement. They are all young. They are all still in the age of development where players have a legitimate chance of breaking out.

I think Klefbom and Larsson are going to have a great year barring injuries. Being together for a year now is huge.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I believe if Maroon is having a good summer, good conditioning he'll remain an impact player with right around 50 points or more. This is his contract year, this will be his last season here.

Drai with 86 points.

I think Maroon being in a contract year is why I could see Jokinen play on McDavid's left side. That helps the team by making Puljujarvi's move onto the McDavid's ride side smoother.

If Maroon plays well enough to earn a big contract in a reduced role so be it. Just better for the team to have Jokinen on the first line and I don't see a reason for the team to hurt their long-term development so Maroon can get paid elsewhere.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
The Oilers have a very young team. An easier question would be who isn't going to improve next year. Due to the McDavid factor (as well as a few other talented players to a lesser extent) most players will improve. When you practice with/against him you can't help but get better or fall in to a deep depression due to your own lack of skills.

I think Gryba, Letestu, Sekera (injury) are the only ones who probably won't improve.

I would put Lucic and Russel, Talbot as the partly won't improve, (due to age, only a few years in the league, etc.) but improving due to it being their second year in the system. It seems to work that way.

The above may also improve because of who they practice with now and their coach.

The rest have a legitimate shot at improvement. They are all young. They are all still in the age of development where players have a legitimate chance of breaking out.

I think Klefbom and Larsson are going to have a great year barring injuries. Being together for a year now is huge.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Arco was short feisty, good skater but not as good as Cagullia from what I remember. Always finished his checks but not sure which one "hits harder". Incredible player in the AHL just a touch too short in every way.

Very similar players.

If not for Cagullia's somewhat impressive playoffs I think he would be our 13th forward this year. As it is I expect him to be used primarily on the bottom line barring injuries.

Arcobello was never a good skater. Cagguila hits hard, he knocked several much bigger guys down while the majority of Arco's hits were love taps.

There's no way that Cagguila would have been the 13th forward this year even if he had a mediocre playoffs, the coaches love him and for good reason. He got bumped up to the McDavid line for a reason and I bet that we see him get a few stints in the top 6 this season as well. He had at least 3 very notable clutch goals from my recollection. The GWG in that comeback at Colorado, the shorthanded goal late in the season at San Jose that put that game away and the game tying goal late in the 3rd against Anaheim in Game 4. Oh and the lone goal in Game 7 so that makes 4 clutch goals. He got an opportunity to play with skilled player and he shined.

I guess we'll see and there's no guarantees with non-elite young players but I think some of you guys are underrating him and overrating a guy like Slepyshev for example who isn't as well rounded.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think that we will have 3 players exceed expectations. Mcdavid, Nurse and RNH. Most of the players will stay around the same. I think there will be some regression with Draisaitl and Talbot but not much. If Draisaitl centers his own line then I'm expecting around 65 points and Talbot will still be a top 15 goaltender, where last season he was top 10. The biggest regression will be from Letestu if he loses his spot on the 1st PP unit.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Well I hope I don't have to bury my head in the sand for this one.

Mark Fayne

It's his contract year and probably his last chance at a NHL contract. Haven't heard what he's doing this off-season in preparations for the upcoming season, but his expectations are so low how can I lose...lol.

If he can show up and earn a spot on the big club we'll be better. Really hoping to get one last good season out of him before he moves on. His first year here he was decent playing with Marincin and Klefbom and we have lots of young Dmen he can help out.

A repeat of that first year would definitely put him in the running for player exceeding expectations.

:help: go easy boys...lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Mark Fayne

It's his contract year and probably his last chance at a NHL contract. Haven't heard what he's doing this off-season in preparations for the upcoming season, but his expectations are so low how can I lose...lol.

If he can show up and earn a spot on the big club we'll be better. Really hoping to get one last good season out of him before he moves on. His first year here he was decent playing with Marincin and Klefbom and we have lots of young Dmen he can help out.

A repeat of that first year would definitely put him in the running for player exceeding expectations.

That's a smart pick because the expectation is zero, and it even seems like the people in charge of the team have an issue with him we don't know about. He'll exceed expectation if he plays at all.

Also I think Stauffer implied Fayne might get a shot.

Personally I don't get it. I didn't get it when Fayne didn't play last season, although that may have been cap motivated just to save the 900k by burying him. From everything I've seen of Fayne, he's unspectacular but a good Dman with a well rounded game.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
He'll play 20 games for the Stars before his traditional season ending injury. If he didn't spend the majority of his development years injured he could have been a premier PF in the league.

He was the best of the secondary scorers last year when the team was winning early., They sure missed him in the latter half. I doubt he gets that injured again, so it's not mice to wish him injury.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
McDavid: 112pts.
Draisaitl: 73pts.
RNH: 58pts.
Lucic: 50pts.
Puljujarvi: 48
Maroon: 46
Jokinen: 41pts.
Strome: 38pts.
Caggulia: 36pts
Kassian: 30
Letestu: 28
Slepy: 25pts

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Very similar players.

No comparison in their skating. Cags can fly and because of that, can get to areas Arco could never get to. And when you can skate like that, you're hitting and agressiveness get amplified. Skating is the biggest thing that sets guys in the AHL apart from the bigs. There are other factors of course, but skating is #1.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Mark Fayne

As an Oiler fan, you will get no mocking from me. I wish success for any one in our organization. But then reality takes over, and I have my serious doubts. If he does turn it around, it would certainly add value to him in a trade for some youth and depth, which we will need going forward based on the cash we just gave out.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
As an Oiler fan, you will get no mocking from me. I wish success for any one in our organization. But then reality takes over, and I have my serious doubts. If he does turn it around, it would certainly add value to him in a trade for some youth and depth, which we will need going forward based on the cash we just gave out.

Fayne playing a dozen games with the Oilers would be exceeding expectations.

Trading Fayne for a fifth rounder with no salary retained would be a great deal for the Oilers. He is done as an NHLer.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Here's my point prediction for next year assuming everyone is healthy

McDavid - 105pts
Draisailt - 75pts
Lucic - 55pts
Strome - 55pts
RNH - 45pts
Maroon - 45pts
Puljujarvi - 40pts
Slepyshev - 35pts
Jokinen - 35pts
Letestu - 30pts
Caggiula - 25pts
Kassian -25pts

My predictions:

McDavid - 95pts
Draisaitl - 60pts
Lucic - 50pts
Strome - 45pts
RNH - 60pts
Maroon - 50pts
Puljujarvi - 40pts
Slepyshev - 35pts
Jokinen - 45pts
Letestu - 25pts
Caggiula - 30pts
Kassian -25pts

My predictions:

McDavid - 102pts
Draisaitl - 68pts
RNH - 59pts
Strome - 45pts
Lucic - 44pts
Klefbom - 42pts
Jokinen - 41pts
Maroon - 40pts
Kassian -36pts
Larsson - 36pts
Puljujarvi - 33pts
Letestu - 33pts
Slepyshev - 30pts
Caggiula - 30pts

My predictions:

McDavid - 90pts
Draisaitl - 65pts
RNH - 46pts
Strome - 35pts
Lucic - 35pts
Klefbom - 32pts
Jokinen - 32pts
Maroon - 42pts
Kassian -27pts
Larsson - 18pts
Puljujarvi - 22pts
Letestu - 35pts
Slepyshev - 24pts
Caggiula - 55pts

McDavid - 110 pts
Draisaitl - 85 pts
Lucic - 60 pts
Strome - 52pts
Maroon - 50 pts
Puljujarvi - 45pts
RNH - 42pts
Slepyshev - 35 pts
Jokinen - 34 pts
Letestu - 32 pts
Caggiula - 26 pts
Kassian -25 pts

Oilers with 53 wins and 114 points. Tops in the West.

McDavid: 108pts.
Draisaitl: 78pts.
RNH: 52pts.
Lucic: 47pts.
Strome: 45pts.
Maroon: 44pts.
Jokinen: 42pts.
Caggulia: 38pts.
Puljujarvi: 36pts.
Slepy: 30pts.

McDavid: 112pts.
Draisaitl: 73pts.
RNH: 58pts.
Lucic: 50pts.
Puljujarvi: 48
Maroon: 46
Jokinen: 41pts.
Strome: 38pts.
Caggulia: 36pts
Kassian: 30
Letestu: 28
Slepy: 25pts

Average and (median) pts predictions for the forwards so far:

McDavid 103.1 (105)
Draisaitl 72 (73)
RNH 51.7 (52)
Lucic 48.7 (50)
Maroon 45.3(45)
Strome 45 (45)
Jokinen 38.6 (41)
Puljujarvi 37.7 (40)
Caggiula 34.3 (30)
Slepyshev 30.6 (30)
Letestu 30.5 (31)
Kassian 28 (26)

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
He was the best of the secondary scorers last year when the team was winning early., They sure missed him in the latter half. I doubt he gets that injured again, so it's not mice to wish him injury.

He had a stupid high shooting percentage. It wasn't going to last.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Ryan Mantha is my dark-horse. He's a bit older than some of our other AHL rookies and has NHL size, offensive instincts, and RH shot. He might just make the team out of camp, although it's a longshot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad