Speculation: Oilers who will exceed expectations in 17/18

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I really think Nurse will breakout this year with Sekera out I also think Slepy will exceed expectations as well . Who are your choices ?

Last edited:

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Not sure if he fits the criteria, but perhaps Jesse P?
I think his perceived value took a hit after a pretty mediocre last season, but he still has the tools and potential to make a big impact this season. It's up to him though...

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I think Lucic is going to have a better year. It sometimes takes guys a year to get comfortable in a system.

With Maroon and Nurse, we really don't need a designated goon so he should be able to focus more on scoring, especially if his center is Drai not McD. I think Lucic saw his role as being McD's protector. Drai is 6'3" and doesn't need protecting

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Don't see a lot of candidates on the Oilers to exceed expectations. Nurse probably has the most room for improvement while still being young (and a d-man, who takes longer time) and developing. If McDavid and Drai are split up and Nuge can get some easier competition then maybe he could see a renaissance, but yeah...not putting down any chips on that one. I'd say Nurse and maybe Slepy if he can put up 30-40 points, that would be great.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
I think Puljujarvi is getting over 40pts

Also Nuge probably knows he needs a really good season to stick around on the team.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Don't see a lot of candidates on the Oilers to exceed expectations. Nurse probably has the most room for improvement while still being young (and a d-man, who takes longer time) and developing. If McDavid and Drai are split up and Nuge can get some easier competition then maybe he could see a renaissance, but yeah...not putting down any chips on that one. I'd say Nurse and maybe Slepy if he can put up 30-40 points, that would be great.

I can see players able to exceed expectations, but I also see a number that fall short of expectations:

-Maroon and Draisaitl had sky high shooting %
-Talbot was a top 3 goalie this year
-If those 3 above take a slight step back and team struggles, Russell love (which seems tied mostly to success of team) will fall too and hell be seen as falling short of expectations

But then on the flip side, Nurse could continue to progress as he was doing pre injury. Strome is free of NYI and in a top 9 that has quality skill and a good coach. JP could also explode as Draisaitl did before

So I dont see the Oilers taking a major step forward next year because theres an equal amount of players that could step back as step forward. In 2 years hopefully the arrows are mostly going forward

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse was excellent last year before he got hurt, I expect him to be equally as good this year and still not get credit from a lot of posters who will always claim he has a low hockey IQ. He has become our best Dman at rushing the puck and joining the rush, he's no Doughty, but he's the best we have.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I think Kassian doesn't have all those goals taken away, has an even better offensive season.

Haha yeah I could see him hitting 15-20 this year. Helps that the refs aren't calling as many penalties because of the name on the back of his jersey now as well. It was terrible when he first joined the club.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Haha yeah I could see him hitting 15-20 this year. Helps that the refs aren't calling as many penalties because of the name on the back of his jersey now as well. It was terrible when he first joined the club.

Yeah it was, good on him to play through it to the point where he's such a consistent contributor.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
McDavid and Draitsaitl have huge expectations already.

I think McDavid will have more points than last year. So I think it will succeed his expectations.

I think Draitsaitl will be less because I think theres a good chance he plays as a 2C more than he did last year.

I think Kassian will exceed his offense from last year.

I think Cagguila and Slephshev will exceed their offense from last year.

Lucic I dont know if he will succeed his offense but I think he will be a more effective player than he was last year. Lucic will be more comfortable this year.

I think Larsson will be better this year. He has had a year to feel more comfortable and knows the system.

I think Nurse will have a better year.

Puljujarvi will have a better year (which shouldnt be too hard) but whether or not he exceeds expectations I dont know, hes still young so I am not overly worried about him.

I think Strome will have a better year than he did in NY. I think hes going to put up similar numbers to Eberle, while not being as frustrating to watch.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
McDavid and Draitsaitl have huge expectations already.

I think McDavid will have more points than last year. So I think it will succeed his expectations.

I think Draitsaitl will be less because I think theres a good chance he plays as a 2C more than he did last year.

I think Kassian will exceed his offense from last year.

I think Cagguila and Slephshev will exceed their offense from last year.

Lucic I dont know if he will succeed his offense but I think he will be a more effective player than he was last year. Lucic will be more comfortable this year.

I think Larsson will be better this year. He has had a year to feel more comfortable and knows the system.

I think Nurse will have a better year.

Puljujarvi will have a better year (which shouldnt be too hard) but whether or not he exceeds expectations I dont know, hes still young so I am not overly worried about him.

I think Strome will have a better year than he did in NY. I think hes going to put up similar numbers to Eberle, while not being as frustrating to watch.

If all that happens and Talbot plays close to as good as he did last year then the Oilers could challenge for the WC top spot.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
If all that happens and Talbot plays close to as good as he did last year then the Oilers could challenge for the WC top spot.

Yeah I think they will finish first in the pacific. Talbot is a bit of a wildcard but he played well enough that I am not overly worried about him. Hes not a guarantee but pretty much none of the goalies are other than maybe Price and Holtby.

Only thing that concerns me really is Sekera. I dont know how the defense will be without him. Even when Sekera comes back, theres a good chance that hes not going to be his usual self for the entire year.

Other than that theres always concerns about health and injuries but every team has them. Nothing is a guarantee in sports.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Ryan Strome...I think we see him return to 50 point form. Also Jussi Jokinen.

If Puljujarvi exceeds expectations this year, we'll have a very deep hockey team.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think it's possible for RNH to 'exceed expectations' per se. His salary and draft pedigree put him in a position where a large contingent of fans will consistently find faults in the player.

If we're setting his past season as the bar, sure he'll exceed those expectations, but no, I don't think he'll go out there and score 70 points.

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Nurse will break out into a top 4 Man
Strome will make everyone forget about Eberle by getting the same amount of points ebs got last year.
RNH will get a career high in points.
Klef will continue to get better and turn into a true #2 Dman
Broissoit will play a lot more and still have really decent stats

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Lucic and Puljujarvi among the forwards will exceed expectations.

On D... Auvitu will be a solid addition to that D group... looking like a solid top 4 dman this season.

Stanton will also be the best injury callup D option for the team... looking several steps better than Gryba as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad