Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
We need another scoring forward it's so clear. And another top6 dman. If we don't win hopefully we get blown out and Chia decides to fill the holes he had all offseason to do.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
This team is absolutely screwed going forward if one of McDavid or Draisaitl are injured. They desperately need Caggulia and Strome to step it up

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I am expecting a really close trap heavy McDavid stifled 2-1 game. Could go either way.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
We need another scoring forward it's so clear. And another top6 dman. If we don't win hopefully we get blown out and Chia decides to fill the holes he had all offseason to do.
Yes, they probably expected Puljujaarvi to step up. Not sure trading Eberle was such a good idea without filling the hole, though he was not all that and it remains to be seen what Strome can do. It's only been 3 games and they looked good against Flames. too early to panic.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Yes, they probably expected Puljujaarvi to step up. Not sure trading Eberle was such a good idea without filling the hole, though he was not all that and it remains to be seen what Strome can do. It's only been 3 games and they looked good against Flames. too early to panic.
Definitely too early to panic. That being said we needed secondary scoring last season as well. And even more this year with the trade of Eberle. Don't know how we haven't filled that need yet.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Ottawa smoked Calgary last night, Edmonton without Draisaitl, long lay off, HNIC?
expecting a blow out.....I hope the Sens take it easy on us.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Players aren't stepping up despite the opportunities. Caggulia, Strome etc and on defense, Benning and Nurse. We need a few to take the reigns because McDavid can't do it alone especially with Drai out possibly long term.

I expect Kassian to be a difference maker tonight.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Players aren't stepping up despite the opportunities. Caggulia, Strome etc and on defense, Benning and Nurse. We need a few to take the reigns because McDavid can't do it alone especially with Drai out possibly long term.

I expect Kassian to be a difference maker tonight.

Is it that players aren't stepping up, or players aren't good enough? You can't really expect someone to take the reigns if they just aren't capable of it at the NHL level.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Is it that players aren't stepping up, or players aren't good enough? You can't really expect someone to take the reigns if they just aren't capable of it at the NHL level.
I think it's a little bit of both, but the Oilers still enjoyed the benefit of a few career years last year so it was a bit naive to think those same players wouldn't falter a bit.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I think it's a little bit of both, but the Oilers still enjoyed the benefit of a few career years last year so it was a bit naive to think those same players wouldn't falter a bit.
They still have McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, RNH in their top 6, as well as plenty of quality 3rd liners in Maroon, Srome, Kassian, Jokinen, Slepyshev, Caggiula, who should be able to chip in some goals, until they add a couple of pieces closer to the trade deadline. That said, it is possible the team will falter, if McDavid or Draisaitl go down for a considerable length. Unfortunately, that's the problem for all teams that rely on 1 or 2 franchise players and do not have a lot of depth.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
It's a little bit of both, but in a cap system, teams need younger players to step up and fill holes.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
It's a little bit of both, but in a cap system, teams need younger players to step up and fill holes.
Absolutely, but the hands off approach taken this summer was a mistake.

They still have McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, RNH in their top 6, as well as plenty of quality 3rd liners in Maroon, Srome, Kassian, Jokinen, Slepyshev, Caggiula, who should be able to chip in some goals, until they add a couple of pieces closer to the trade deadline. That said, it is possible the team will falter, if McDavid or Draisaitl go down for a considerable length. Unfortunately, that's the problem for all teams that rely on 1 or 2 franchise players and do not have a lot of depth.
It's only 3 games in but the only players who can score right now are RNH and McDavid. The entire bottom 6 hasn't contributed anything so far. The players brought in by Chia this summer have been complete duds to this point.

I get that they can't just dole out contracts but this summer was very puzzling for many reasons.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Going to the game tonight with a friend, we have had a lot of luck the last few years seeing players first goals. So I am expecting Yamamoto to score tonight!

4-3 Oilers

Mcdavid
Yamamoto
Nuge
Slepyshev

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa
There was a clip of MacLellan on Coach’s Corner just now, anyone catch that, and what was it about? Couldn’t hear the audio.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Going to the game tonight with a friend, we have had a lot of luck the last few years seeing players first goals. So I am expecting Yamamoto to score tonight!

4-3 Oilers

Mcdavid
Yamamoto
Nuge
Slepyshev

Works for me. :nod:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
There was a clip of MacLellan on Coach’s Corner just now, anyone catch that, and what was it about? Couldn’t hear the audio.

Don bashing McLellan for specifically calling out his "star" players, ie. McDavid. Says keep it in the room, shouldn't point fingers at specific people in the media. Always been part of McLellan's MO though to point fingers in the media, so doubt he will be listening to old Don :)

Reactions: dsi

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
It was about his star players being that on both sides of the ice basically. It was a comment he made last week. I don't see that comment being an issue with anyone. Is that what Eastern media does in regards to our team? Distortion.

Alowlyoilersfan

Sep 28, 2017
hopefully not having draisaitl will be a kick in the butt to mcdavid. excited to see auvitu finally; he might get a couple in a row if he plays well

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
played Ottawa on Brett Hull '95 with the Oilers. Went to the 6th overtime period before finding the net for a 2-1 victory. Guess that means we are in for a dog fight tonight.

Reactions: dsi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA