Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
Man, I really hope they just come out guns blazing.

It's really hard to tell what kind of game its gonna be after nearly a week of dwelling on that loss. Hopefully a good response.

The Drai stuff makes me feel kind of ill. I hope it isn't as serious as it sounds.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interested in seeing that as well but not sure what we will see. Some guys really have to step it up but I'm wondering if we see another dynamic game from McD where he moves mountains. I would prefer it come from everywhere else in the lineup. We have a lot of non stellar starts throughout the lineup.
I have to think this is Yamamotos last shot. If he doesn't step up I suspect he is sent down Monday morning and JP is brought up.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'd love a Rick and Morty themed GDT. If I was better at Photoshop or something I'd do it myself.

I just hope this doesn't end up being an appropriate theme after the game

7779881.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
How does Benning sit and Russell stay in. Maybe he bribed TM with some of his 4 million

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How does Benning sit and Russell stay in. Maybe he bribed TM with some of his 4 million
Benning has been a tirefire. Simply awful. After one of his many miscues McLellans face turned several shades of red and purple. Benning frequently making the cardinal sin of overplaying the puck. Over thinking the play. He's not a particularly good D, really he's not an NHL D on most clubs. He's here to fill out the lineup and not look stupid and not look out of place. Which he's done 5 times a game so far. The stated recipe for a D like this is to play safe, KISS. That's what he's supposed to be doing, what he's been told to do. What fill D are invariably told to do. Instead he's been an adventure out there.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Benning has been a tirefire. Simply awful. After one of his many miscues McLellans face turned several shades of red and purple. Benning frequently making the cardinal sin of overplaying the puck. Over thinking the play. He's not a particularly good D, really he's not an NHL D on most clubs. He's here to fill out the lineup and not look stupid and not look out of place. Which he's done 5 times a game so far. The stated recipe for a D like this is to play safe, KISS. That's what he's supposed to be doing, what he's been told to do. What fill D are invariably told to do. Instead he's been an adventure out there.
Almost as if he was stupidly thrust into a role he wasn't ready for.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Almost as if he was stupidly thrust into a role he wasn't ready for.
Sure, but when put into a position of playing over your head play within your capacity and don't go out of your way to make it worse. Russell is for some reason a whipping boy here, and I see him being blamed but quite clearly in what I have been watching is Russell is having little to work with.

What ails us so far this season is not just that Benning has been crap. Its that Klefbom has really struggled. Who do you put in the top 4 with that in mind?

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure, but when put into a position of playing over your head play within your capacity and don't go out of your way to make it worse. Russell is for some reason a whipping boy here, and I see him being blamed but quite clearly in what I have been watching is Russell is having little to work with.

What ails us so far this season is not just that Benning has been crap. Its that Klefbom has really struggled. Who do you put in the top 4 with that in mind?
But he's never played top 4 before. How's he supposed to know? It was a brain dead idea that anyone could've foreseen. Yes he's not the only one struggling but that's why you bring in help. We could very easily ruin benning this way.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013

It's. Been. Three. Games.

Last season, Benning had the best possession numbers on the Oilers' D. Better than Klef or Larsson without that many more OZone starts. Every year, every team has a player who underperforms at first and who needs a trip down the depth chart to get their game back. Benning has definitely had a bad start. But not an NHL D? Because of three bad games? Camaaan.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
How did Drai even get injured? There's no video of any kind of contact. Did something happen after the game?
Probably that large hit he took against uhh trouba? i forgot who, schedule sucks and its been too long.
The hit looked a little high but not on purpose.

I hope he gets better asap, it will definitely be interesting to see how this team deals with adversity as we didnt have any last year.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But he's never played top 4 before. How's he supposed to know? It was a brain dead idea that anyone could've foreseen. Yes he's not the only one struggling but that's why you bring in help. We could very easily ruin benning this way.
Its not always so simple. The Oilers have Sekera, they know that. So this is a temp fill assignment. Hoping the player can rise to it in short term as a lot of useful prospects manage to do.

This is a tight cap league. The question becomes is it astute to get a top 4 D here to fill a short term role, and overpay for that, and then have less room for the addons the club will need to make a playoff run. I'd rather the Oilers spend more money down the stretch, prepping for a hot playoffs, than filling a temp short term gap now.

This is the harder stretch with Sekera out, but the Oilers management should be able to expect the present raft of players to keep bailing and the boat afloat in the interim. I expect it happens as well. Nothing is won, ever, in the Fall, in hockey.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It's. Been. Three. Games.

Last season, Benning had the best possession numbers on the Oilers' D. Better than Klef or Larsson without that many more OZone starts. Every year, every team has a player who underperforms at first and who needs a trip down the depth chart to get their game back. Benning has definitely had a bad start. But not an NHL D? Because of three bad games? Camaaan.

Fair enough. He's not a top 4 NHL D is what I should have stayed with. I don't think he is, or would be on other teams. There can be an NHL role for a player like Benning, given this is a capped league, but this requires him to be smarter than he is.

The great frustration for the coaching staff, and I can feel it, is how many players in the lineup so quickly forgot what begat winning. Benning can be better than this and a short term sit is probably not the worst thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Before anybody freaks out this could be another case of Rishaug lazy quoting and not getting his facts straight. McLellan made a weird post game quote saying something like Leons eye was swollen, effecting his vision, and we'll see where his head is at come day time. This resulted in a slew of assumptions that Leon had a head concussion. I think McLellan just worded it ambiguously.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Before anybody freaks out this could be another case of Rishaug lazy quoting and not getting his facts straight. McLellan made a weird post game quote saying something like Leons eye was swollen, effecting his vision, and we'll see where his head is at come day time. This resulted in a slew of assumptions that Leon had a head concussion. I think McLellan just worded it ambiguously.
Rishaug's tweet is what McLellan said this morning.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
So last year after a week off just about every team lost.

I think it’s safe to assume if that happens these boards need to be locked down

Ogurek

Sep 29, 2010

"Concussion-type Symptoms" according to McLellan.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
^Thanks, didn't see the presser and I've just learned to assume Rishaug is not a reliable source.

This could be bad.

Now I'll try not to freak out. ;)

Last edited:

Emotive

Oct 6, 2017
How did Drai even get injured? There's no video of any kind of contact. Did something happen after the game?

I know I saw a video of it somewhere (I think in the injury thread) but he took a high bit from Trouba, looked like he caught a bit of an elbow and I would think that's when he got hurt

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Hope they don’t suck tonight. I’ll definitely try and watch some of it. Big time adversity already and it’s only 3 games in. If they turn in a shit effort tonight, I hope the sucide prevention hotlines are ready for a big influx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany