Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Seattle. McDavids line once again short handed.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I understand Puljujarvi has been very disappointing. I also understand some fans (easy to see who) have prepared themselves for the thought of Puljujarvi being moved.

As his supporter I accept the critique and do think his season has been very disappointing. However, Yamamoto and Foegele haven't really been better and while still far from what I hope Puljujarvi did have a better stretch before the last game.

There's no big differences, but out of those three Puljujarvi's stats are the best in the past 10 games. If it's true Puljujarvi is the one they plan to move (and it makes sense I guess) it's natural to try to pump his value a bit. McDavid and him scored a nice goal together in the previous game so let's see how this game goes. All I hope is Puljujarvi won't be too afraid of making mistakes as it can really kill his game.
They want to pump his value play him on the third line where he looked good.

3 points in his last 10 games doesn't pump his value, it just decreases it as you are showing to the rest of the league he can't put up points with elite players.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ya I'm not seeing a lot of options there with Kane out and JP/KY not stepping up and performing.

Exactly this... on paper this summer we had a VERY strong top 9, but no passable NHL depth.

JP and KY taking the season off combined with one key injury means 33% of our top nine is simply missing.

That is a lot of gaps to fill for any coach and Woodcroft has fewer options than most.

Reactions: TB12 and MessierII

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Puljujarvi repeatedly with McDavid is on Holland, he needs to pump his value some because he knows he f***ed this signing.
It's backfiring because even with this showcase he's failing to produce. The line got 0 points last game (with a red hot prime McDavid unable to continue his streaks 🤦‍♂️)

Some mystery around a guy averaging 5-7 minutes while Connor tears up the league without him would arguably be more valuable in a trade situation than what we have now.

Reactions: Kerberos

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Woodcroft has had trouble seeing that Kostin and Nemo are better options than Shore and Broberg this season. It took forever for him to start giving either of them games and minutes and even when they were starting their minutes were limited for a longtime despite Kostin and Nemo playing well. Nemo is the first player to get sent down or scratched even though he's been reliable on back end. I don't assume Woody see's much of anything.
Broberg is way better than Nemo. We know what we have in Nemo, I don't expect him to get too much better just more experienced. Broberg will take off once he's settled and can stay healthy.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019

3 points in his last 10 games doesn't pump his value, it just decreases it as you are showing to the rest of the league he can't put up points with elite players.
Yeah I thought about that as well and don't deny your point. However, one way to look at it is that he's scored 2+1 in the last 6 games and while I definitely picked the sample size on purpose that's a rate that would be pretty good for someone that doesn't play on the PP. Some more games with that production rate should help with moving him.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah I thought about that as well and don't deny your point. However, one way to look at it is that he's scored 2+1 in the last 6 games and while I definitely picked the sample size on purpose that's a rate that would be pretty good for someone that doesn't play on the PP. Some more games with that production rate should help with moving him.

He also made the mistakes that cost us the win vs Winnipeg and was benched by the end of it. He couldn't even think on the 4th line taking a colossally stupid penalty while getting in his teammates skating lane.

You cant take the good without the bad.

For anything remotely good PJ does in a game there are more things per game that make you shake your head.

First one I will participate in this year!

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Broberg is way better than Nemo. We know what we have in Nemo, I don't expect him to get too much better just more experienced. Broberg will take off once he's settled and can stay healthy.
Broberg has more potential but is absolutely not a better player right now. Nemo doesn’t have much upside but he’s a legit NHL D man right now and Broberg just isn’t.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
He also made the mistakes that cost us the win vs Winnipeg and was benched by the end of it. He couldn't even think on the 4th line taking a colossally stupid penalty while getting in his teammates skating lane.

You cant take the good without the bad.

For anything remotely good PJ does in a game there are more things per game that make you shake your head.

First one I will participate in this year!

Yes, but I guess one could safely say those kind of costly mistakes have been pretty rare to him. There's way worse players in that regard so sometimes the player needs to have a bit of leash, especially when he was already benched in the game. It's a different story if there's more bad games, but I don't know if there's many players in the team who've never had a bad game. Anyway I believe McDavid gets to say who he plays with so sometimes it's Puljujarvi, sometimes somebody else.

I also don't think one can say there's a big difference between the current level of Puljujarvi, Foegele and Yamamoto so I'm not sure at all that McDavid has worse wingers than Drai.

Last edited:

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Woodcroft has had trouble seeing that Kostin and Nemo are better options than Shore and Broberg this season. It took forever for him to start giving either of them games and minutes and even when they were starting their minutes were limited for a longtime despite Kostin and Nemo playing well. Nemo is the first player to get sent down or scratched even though he's been reliable on back end. I don't assume Woody see's much of anything.
From what I understand it had more to do with cap compliance than anything else regarding those two players. Same with Janmark. It will be very interesting what happens when Kane is ready to go.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
From what I understand it had more to do with cap compliance than anything else regarding those two players. Same with Janmark. It will be very interesting what happens when Kane is ready to go.
Not just this, because for the first multiple weeks the players were being used they weren't used adequately or ideally or given much minutes. Kostin for the longest time was burried in the 4th line with players like Shore.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yes, but I guess one could safely say those kind of costly mistakes have been pretty rare to him. There's way worse players in that regard so sometimes the player needs to have a bit of leash, especially when he was already benched in the game. It's a different story if there's more bad games, but I don't know if there's many players in the team who've never had a bad game. Anyway I believe McDavid gets to say who he plays with so sometimes it's Puljujarvi, sometimes somebody else.

I also don't think one can say there's a big difference between the current level of Puljujarvi, Foegele and Yamamoto so I'm not sure at all that McDavid has worse wingers than Drai.

I guess we view PJs game quite different. I see an uncoordinated skater who struggles to shoot straight, consistently getting into his teammates lanes, reading the play wrong and killing offensive chances. I see him having consistently bad games outside of a handful of good ones - and by good I mean by PJs standards which is awfully low.

For the life of me I cannot see McDavid saying he wants to play with PJ especially judging by McDavids frustration with PJ last game.

Holland handcuffed this team with all 3 of these players no doubt, and he can get fired for all I care, but out of them all, playing PJ with the worlds best hockey player is the most mind boggling decision there is, in my opinion.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I guess we view PJs game quite different. I see an uncoordinated skater who struggles to shoot straight, consistently getting into his teammates lanes, reading the play wrong and killing offensive chances. I see him having consistently bad games outside of a handful of good ones - and by good I mean by PJs standards which is awfully low.

For the life of me I cannot see McDavid saying he wants to play with PJ especially judging by McDavids frustration with PJ last game.

Holland handcuffed this team with all 3 of these players no doubt, and he can get fired for all I care, but out of them all, playing PJ with the worlds best hockey player is the most mind boggling decision there is, in my opinion.
Yeah I'm not trying to change anybody's view. But a game or two ago I saw messages where some fans said they'd been very critical towards Puljujarvi but admit he'd been been much better lately. Anyway like I said I'm fine with all views and understand your frustration too.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Yeah I'm not trying to change anybody's view. But a game or two ago I saw messages where some fans said they'd been very critical towards Puljujarvi but admit he'd been been much better lately. Anyway like I said I'm fine with all views and understand your frustration too.

Yes he had a few good games recently I wont begrudge him that. And I hope he is successful wherever he winds up.

Hopefully Klim continues to seize the opportunity to be the cult hero among fans.... guy is talented. I had forgotten he was captain of the Russian WJC team

Former 1st round pick who would have been picked higher if not for the Russian Hockey Federation issues and the trend of Russian players staying in Mordor versus coming to North America.

Reactions: Whyme

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
But Nemo brings the no nonsense physical D play and clearing guys around net that the team needs more of in ownzone. Its arguable that Nemo is a better option than Kulak, and that he's presently a better option than Broberg. For sure at price Nemo is a better option than Kulak. The more minutes I see Nemo eat the better and more confident he seems to get.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

FWIW Pulju has 2G 3pts in last 6GP. Not that it means much but maybe he's going to start pissing a drop. He's looked decent in those 6 games. Maybe we can pump tires?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
But Nemo brings the no nonsense physical D play and clearing guys around net that the team needs more of in ownzone. Its arguable that Nemo is a better option than Kulak, and that he's presently a better option than Broberg. For sure at price Nemo is a better option than Kulak. The more minutes I see Nemo eat the better and more confident he seems to get.
Nemo was on for a goal against recently without clearing the front of the net, just standing there taking a nap

And no, he’s not arguably a better option than kulak

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad