Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desktop Email

Dec 28, 2019
I've decided to finally create an account after some time lurking and possibly for the benefit of my own darn health. The Oilers are turning me into a frustrated mess and venting to fellow enthusiasts might assist me in mellowing out. I can only hope we win this game and many more for our own sanity.

Sadly I have no faith in the above.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I've decided to finally create an account after some time lurking and possibly for the benefit of my own darn health. The Oilers are turning me into a frustrated mess and venting to fellow enthusiasts might assist me in mellowing out. I can only hope we win this game and many more for our own sanity.

Welcome to the pits of Oilers hell, enjoy your stay....its addictive lol

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

6270D9B1-839D-4F8B-B4F0-A7F5964778BD.gif

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
The last game of the f***ing decade.

Despite my best efforts in trying to stay positive this year, based upon our last dozen or so games including that steaming pile of dog turd they served up vs the Flames and based upon our last 35 years of futility on New Years Eve - I anticipate a full on ass whupping by the New York Rangers.

Mike Smith is firmly in “cant stop a beach ball” territory, Draisatl is in “don’t give a f***” territory, Ryan Nothing Happens is once again in “completely ineffective” territory, Nurse is again in “brain dead” territory, Klefbom and Larsson are revisiting “don’t show up on time” territory and McDavid is rapidly approaching “get me the f*** out of here” territory.

Rangers 7. Oilers 2. Goalie pull sometime in the early 2nd. Drai and McDavid together after we are down 3-0. They go a collective -9.

Desktop Email

Dec 28, 2019
Welcome to the pits of Oilers hell, enjoy your stay....its addictive lol

Thank you. I've mentally prepared myself for the insanity that is this forum but I know I won't be ready when I'm in the thick of things.

Reactions: Mez

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I'm just here for my regular "line combinations don't matter anymore" post. The team has mentally checked out. Minnesota and Nashville will jump ahead of them next, and they will be bottom 4 in the west by my Birthday (January 15th).

Season is over guys.

Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I will make sure to make some plans during this game. Thanks for the pre game thread in advance :thumbu:. To those of you who are going to watch this game, drink safely :laugh:

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

There's faith there. No one subjects themselves to this team without having some sort of faith.

That or you're certifiably insane. Either way, welcome to the party:cheers:

Reactions: Desktop Email
Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Rags eh? They have some good players. Should be a good game.

Catch a bite downtown, walk the legis grounds lights a little early and retire to some Oilers pain. Let's do it.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
And we are outside looking in at a playoff position after the Canucks game.

Nucks are in year 3 of their rebuild

They also never quite hit rock bottom the way this team did. Much steeper hill to climb after wandering in the desert for a decade plus.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Throw Archi up with McDavid and Drai.

And what period does Stromer pot one on us?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Throw Archi up with McDavid and Drai.

And what period does Stromer pot one on us?

Y'know I'm all for giving Leon some rope on his recent play, but at this point I would keep him on the 3rd line as a lesson and not let him back up the lineup until he starts showing hard effort on the back check again.

Sometimes you gotta rub a player's nose in it so they get a lesson they'll remember.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Y'know I'm all for giving Leon some rope on his recent play, but at this point I would keep him on the 3rd line as a lesson and not let him back up the lineup until he starts showing hard effort on the back check again.

Sometimes you gotta rub a player's nose in it so they get a lesson they'll remember.

I am fine with that, let Archi play up with McDavid and Kass.

But at the same time with no Drai on McDavids line ...McDavid has just himself to work with. This is just pathetic how we are treating McDavid.

Edmonton desperately need another top 6 winger.

Last edited:

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

You own a dog by any chance? :laugh:

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
I like David Staples 'radical theory'. He's right, in the 80s the Oilers went a different route than the rest of the league. Implemented a European offensive style and trended in the opposite direction of what was the norm back then. And look at the results. Of course they had an all world team, but I don't know they become that dynasty without Glen Sather.
Dave Tippett is a solid coach with a wealth of experience from both playing and coaching in the NHL, but maybe that's what this team doesn't need; a coach who won't adapt to modern strategies and get creative.

Every coach has done the same thing with McDavid and Draisaitl, either put them together with Connor as center, or make them center their own lines. Both of them aren't getting it done right now in the defensive zone, where the center becomes the 3rd defenseman. We all know Leon's +/- the last 20 games. Why not put a solid defensive center in between them? Staples suggests maybe Sheahan. But why not RNH? What's the harm in trying it for a game or two. McDavid-RNH-Draisaitl. Oh it'll take away from secondary scoring on the bottom 9? What secondary scoring? Previous coaches always use the reason of spreading out the offense with splitting Connor and Leon, but that's never the case. It actually just stifles the team's overall offense altogether. Those 3 should be playing together 5 on 5 imo.

But Tippett, or any old school coach will never try that. Todd Nelson probably wouldn't even try that. We need a fresh young coach, with an open mind and that's a trend setter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad