• No

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 12 22.2%

• Total voters

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Watching other games, it's just so apparent that this team has no system both offensively and defensively. Everything is chaos, no one knows what to do and who to cover for. I maintain that Woodcroft did implement a systems focus for the end of last season, the analytics can back this up. The team has gone away from it. Perhaps it's because they're struggling to score and are cheating for offense. Whatever it is, it cannot be made better by playing the 3rd and 4th lines 5-8 mins and the top guys 24-25 a game. This problem seems to manifest itself every single year, regardless of the coach. Obviously, the players there are not top notch, but there are at least 3 players there that were capable bottom sixers with other competitive teams yet look completely useless here.

Reactions: McAsuno and ujju2

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Where are you going? We used to hit Lake Pleasant area a lot.

Woody corkscrewing himself into the floor again.
I live in anthem just east of lake pleasant, north of the carefree highway. Tomorrow we are hitting the Sonoran desert preserve. It’s close and has a lot of different trails. Enjoy the game.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I live in anthem just east of lake pleasant, north of the carefree highway. Tomorrow we are hitting the Sonoran desert preserve. It’s close and has a lot of different trails. Enjoy the game.

Yup know the area well! We were in Desert Ridge at Toscana. Nice time of year to hike the desert! Have a good time!

Reactions: brentashton

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
They'll be desperate and McDrai will spark the team. Would be surprised if they lose this --- and if they do, it's a damn disaster.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
They'll be desperate and McDrai will spark the team. Would be surprised if they lose this --- and if they do, it's a damn disaster.

McDavid and Draisaitl playing together are the coaching equivalent of In Case of Emergency Break Glass or the Broken Arrow command.

I would agree that we have an emergency right now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
11AM!? Like I said last Saturday, the Oilers play better on HNIC, which is why the League keeps scheduling them for these times.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watching other games, it's just so apparent that this team has no system both offensively and defensively. Everything is chaos, no one knows what to do and who to cover for. I maintain that Woodcroft did implement a systems focus for the end of last season, the analytics can back this up. The team has gone away from it. Perhaps it's because they're struggling to score and are cheating for offense. Whatever it is, it cannot be made better by playing the 3rd and 4th lines 5-8 mins and the top guys 24-25 a game. This problem seems to manifest itself every single year, regardless of the coach. Obviously, the players there are not top notch, but there are at least 3 players there that were capable bottom sixers with other competitive teams yet look completely useless here.
Its more complicated than just that. In order to have identity, structure, cohesive team play it also helps to have STABILITY in lineup. Something the Oilers really have nothing of outside their core. For instance Islanders having a depth line of bangers that have been with the club, and that have been a line for a decade. Its a given that players with so much experience with each other are probably going to play better off each other. The Oilers have none of that in bottomsix and won't any time soon. Its something orgs build up by drafting and retaining players longterm. This org instead is run like the Harold Ballard Maple Laughs. Constantly just restacking the deckchairs.

The chaos you see on ice, sure its coaching deficit, but its appreciable continuity deficit as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Brave soul. I just looked up all the critters one can encounter on the Sonoran desert. 12 different types of rattlesnakes, Several venomous spiders including lots of black widows and necrotizing recluse spiders. Gila monsters, African killer bees, Stinging centipedes, Tarantulas, Scorpions. jebus. no mas.

Now I realize bite fatalities in modern day and with modern medicine are rare but my brain would go into convulsion seeing any of the above. Trust I wouldn't be sitting down anywhere or wearing sandals around. lol More like a hazmat suit...

Its funny that I go out hiking in backwoods here where Bears and Grizzlies are more dangerous but I guess its just what somebody is used to and comfort level.

you got me reading up on the area after I saw you talking about it here.

enjoy the hike. Carry lots of raid ;)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
McDavid and Draisaitl playing together are the coaching equivalent of In Case of Emergency Break Glass or the Broken Arrow command.

I would agree that we have an emergency right now.
It certainly is a luxury that few other coaches in this league have at their disposal.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Brave soul. I just looked up all the critters one can encounter on the Sonoran desert. 12 different types of rattlesnakes, Several venomous spiders including lots of black widows and necrotizing recluse spiders. Gila monsters, African killer bees, Stinging centipedes, Tarantulas, Scorpions. jebus. no mas.

Now I realize fatalities in modern day and modern medicine are rare but my brain would go into convulsion seeing any of the above. Trust I wouldn't be sitting down anywhere or wearing sandals around. lol More like a hazmat suit...

Its funny that I go out hiking in backwoods here where Bears and Grizzlies are more dangerous but I guess its just what somebody is used to and comfort level.

I’ve hiked here in the valley extensively for 10+years. I have never seen a rattlesnake or any of the venomous critters that they speak of. They are here for sure but I’ve either been careful, smart, lucky or naive. Gonna go with the latter two. I’ve had scorpions on my back patio but I just step on them. I walk a lot in the early morning hours (4am+) back in Saskatchewan where I live in the spring summer fall and have met black bears -at 15 yards, foxes, coyotes, even saw a bobcat once. Bears I see quite often and we just have a respect and we wait each other out. Like you say, it is different. But it’s also not like walking from Starbucks to Audrey’s Books that’s for sure. I like the adventure.

He has two less 5v5 assists than Puljujarvi in November lol.
Oh my.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Part of our bottom 6 issues definitely stem from not having a second unit PP.

First unit goes out, overextends themselves, and by the time they leave the ice there’s usually < 30 secs left. If you can get some of the secondary guys some offensive confidence, maybe that translates to 5v5 play.

With that being said, no clue what Nurse is doing on the PP. He sucks. Last year we had Keith to man the second unit, but this year we’ll need to rotate Barrie and Bouchard there IMO.

First unit:

Hyman
RNH - McDavid - Draisaitl
Barrie / Bouchard

Second unit:

Kostin
Holloway - McLeod - Puljujarvi/Yamamoto
Bouchard / Barrie

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
To add, it might be a good idea to try and start the PP with the second unit sometimes. That mitigates the need for them to enter the zone, which they struggle with compared to the first unit. Give them the first minute or so against the oppositions top PK unit and then let the McPP feast if they’re unsuccessful.

Not sure why we keep sticking to the same coaching beats. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Ryan himself said no other team in the league has the first unit out for so long last year when Woodcroft took over. In fact, it was one of Jay’s strengths that he was willing to utilize other players and not rely so heavily on McDrai. Disappointing that we’ve gone back to that.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

Now I realize bite fatalities in modern day and with modern medicine are rare but my brain would go into convulsion seeing any of the above. Trust I wouldn't be sitting down anywhere or wearing sandals around. lol More like a hazmat suit...

I encountered a rattlesnake who came from under a rock only a few feet from me while sitting down for a brief rest on a long uphill section of a hike there.

I broke the world record uphill quarter mile that day.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Take my advice. Dont try and analyze the way this team is playing at the moment. Its not worth the toll on your mental health. Just hope they somehow pull out a win.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The last few games the team has been a lot better defensively and offensively. They aren't cheating for offense which is why there is less offense than earlier in the season. But, playing this way will pay off, just like it did eventually for the Devils.

For the love of god Woodcroft, just go with a standard 12-6 lineup.
I doubt the 11-7 has anything to do with our record being bad. With Kane out the forward lines are thinner. This could be a good way to ease in Broberg as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad