Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Kings - Oilers move into 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Just looking at the standings... Is the east actually better than the west or is the west just better at load management?

Between the Oilers, Knights, Kings, Wild, and Avs the west have 5 teams that have over a 0.800 points percentage in last 20 games. Holy man.

I think the east started out stronger but I think its sort of balanced out more down the stretch. Vegas/Edmonton/LA/Colorado/Minnesota have finished the season pretty strong.

Still think the top 6 in East is probably stronger overall than the top 6 in the West.

I also think the Islanders/Penguins/Panthers are upgrades over the Jets/Flames/Kraken. (more so the Islanders)

Last edited:

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Kings have went to a crazy amout of overtime/shootouts this season. They have 10 gary betmann points plus have 6 less Reg/overtime wins then us. That's nuts

Reactions: McTonyBrar

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Just looking at the standings... Is the east actually better than the west or is the west just better at load management?

Between the Oilers, Knights, Kings, Wild, and Avs the west have 5 teams that have over a 0.800 points percentage in last 20 games. Holy man.
"But the west sucks !" Hope someone from the west wins the cup again. Then it will be the east was just tired.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

Even the Canucks have been hot haha

Reactions: McTonyBrar

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
We are at the point of the season where you rest Skinner, let him have his time with his newborn son and wife, and get prepared for the long slog of a playoff run.

Campbell can take the net the rest of the way. Worst case scenario he lets Skinner get some well deserves rest. Best case scenario he finds his game and gains some confidence going into the playoffs where he may need to slot in.
Lol so you keep your starting goalie rusty and less sharp by not playing him at all? How does that help us or him?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Here is the average age of NHL teams this season. That number may have changed a little bit since the beginning of the season but I am surprised at how young the Kings team is.
I would have guessed that they were an older team than the Oilers.

It will be interesting to see which of the older teams run out of gas in the playoffs. NJD is likely going to be a solid team for a long time.

Flames got older and the team is worse...lol

1680199285036.png

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

Isn't the West record against the East pretty good as well?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Korpisalo is playing the best hockey of his career right now, and the only year he was close was in his rookie season. He will collapse at some point. Not saying it will be against the Oil, but he is not a good goalie.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Korpisalo is playing the best hockey of his career right now, and the only year he was close was in his rookie season. He will collapse at some point. Not saying it will be against the Oil, but he is not a good goalie.

Outside of like 5 goalies there aren’t very many great ones honestly. So much voodooo.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Outside of like 5 goalies there aren’t very many great ones honestly. So much voodooo.
Completely agree. I'm a big proponent of cheaping out on goaltending unless you're getting an established guy, and even then it's completely destroyed the cap for a few teams recently. I was fine with Campbell because I thought he was just a normal goalie and I was so tired of Mike Smith's unorthodox style. Didn't realize that Campbell also played such a unique style lol. That's what I like about Skinner, he just looks like a normal goalie.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Systems help. The Kings play a tight system which should make a difference.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Completely agree. I'm a big proponent of cheaping out on goaltending unless you're getting an established guy, and even then it's completely destroyed the cap for a few teams recently. I was fine with Campbell because I thought he was just a normal goalie and I was so tired of Mike Smith's unorthodox style. Didn't realize that Campbell also played such a unique style lol. That's what I like about Skinner, he just looks like a normal goalie.
If by unique you mean terrible, then agree with entire statement

• Haha
Reactions: 94 Oil Drops

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We are at the point of the season where you rest Skinner, let him have his time with his newborn son and wife, and get prepared for the long slog of a playoff run.

Campbell can take the net the rest of the way. Worst case scenario he lets Skinner get some well deserves rest. Best case scenario he finds his game and gains some confidence going into the playoffs where he may need to slot in.
You want Skinner to head into the playoffs cold? I sure don’t. He’s going to be playing every second night, better get used to it right now. He should start at least 5 of the next 7.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure if this has been discussed, but if you take away points earned in 3 on 3 overtime and shootouts (i.e. points/wins that just aren't there in the playoffs when the real hockey is played) the Oilers are one of the best teams in the entire league - something like only behind Boston.

Reactions: TB12

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Not sure if this has been discussed, but if you take away points earned in 3 on 3 overtime and shootouts (i.e. points/wins that just aren't there in the playoffs when the real hockey is played) the Oilers are one of the best teams in the entire league - something like only behind Boston.

Careful, that's a Flames fan level of logic. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad