Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs Kings - Oilers move into 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Careful, that's a Flames fan level of logic. ;)
I find the 3 on 3 OT and shootouts entertaining. But I don't consider them real hockey, and I like to look at how teams do in the real hockey heading into the playoffs. And in doing so, the Oilers jumped out. And I'm a Habs fan.

I'm actually in favor of having playoff OT 3 on 3. And if that were to happen, I'd consider it really a part of the game. But since it isn't part of the playoffs, it's only something that matters to get into the playoffs and then is meaningless when evaluating a team.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
VD will kill Mikey Anderson tonight.

And who calls their kid “Mikey” other than the little twat in that old commercial.
I sure hope so. F*** that loser. Kane needs to start stirring the pot too. Someone needs to wake him up. Kane is at his best when he's angry.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I find the 3 on 3 OT and shootouts entertaining. But I don't consider them real hockey, and I like to look at how teams do in the real hockey heading into the playoffs. And in doing so, the Oilers jumped out. And I'm a Habs fan.

I'm actually in favor of having playoff OT 3 on 3. And if that were to happen, I'd consider it really a part of the game. But since it isn't part of the playoffs, it's only something that matters to get into the playoffs and then is meaningless when evaluating a team.
Why? Not being condescending, I've just never seen anyone complain about playoff 5on5 continuous OT, I'd go as far as saying that's most fans' favourite part of the sport.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Say what you will about the Kings, but they make you work for every goal and if you aren’t willing to make simple plays and score ugly, you might get the boots put to you. No blind backhand passes anywhere and no forcing plays that aren’t there in the neutral zone. Please and thanks.

When the Kings heavy trap starts (and it will, 100% start at some point) the test of maturity for this team will be how they adjust. When the Kings go into this type of defensive posture they aren't going to score a single goal that isn't directly handed to them. If we just stay patient, stay simple and keep at it without getting frustrated and try to force it we will score at some point and they won't.

The challenge is A) staying patient even though it will be very frustrating and B) not falling behind, especially by more than one goal. If the Kings get even a one goal lead they basically pack 5 guys in the neutral zone permanently which we struggle against.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
When the Kings heavy trap starts (and it will, 100% start at some point) the test of maturity for this team will be how they adjust. When the Kings go into this type of defensive posture they aren't going to score a single goal that isn't directly handed to them. If we just stay patient, stay simple and keep at it without getting frustrated and try to force it we will score at some point and they won't.

The challenge is A) staying patient even though it will be very frustrating and B) not falling behind, especially by more than one goal. If the Kings get even a one goal lead they basically pack 5 guys in the neutral zone permanently which we struggle against.
100% agree. Good post.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Why? Not being condescending, I've just never seen anyone complain about playoff 5on5 continuous OT, I'd go as far as saying that's most fans' favourite part of the sport.
Eastern media are really the only ones that ever bitch so it makes me really happy.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

To each their own. And I don't particularly care either way. But I have heard a growing number of people complain about the late nights for people that have to work the next day/have kids and for the toll it takes on the players.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Oilers looking to finish March with a 12-2-1 record with a win against LA.

Pretty pretty good.
LA Looking to finish March with a 10-1-2 record with a win against Edmonton ( this is a big game tonight and the Apr 4 game could be even bigger ) that said GO SHARKS

Gregsky99

Dec 16, 2012
Well it does produce the most heart attacks

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
To each their own. And I don't particularly care either way. But I have heard a growing number of people complain about the late nights for people that have to work the next day/have kids and for the toll it takes on the players.

The complaining about having to stay up a little late is crying about spilled milk, especially as it pertains to kid's bed times. Some of my best memories as a child were being allowed to stay up late for only the playoff games. Not only did I build lifelong memories with my Dad, but it didn't hurt me one iota. Never understood the folks that treat a child's bed time as some sort of sacrosanct law that can't be flexed on occasionally when the time calls for it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I bet they got Danault to match up with the Oilers especially after he shut them down in the Covid year. I hated when they signed him, knew it would be trouble for the Oilers.
That's why getting the bottom 6 a little more rounded was so important going into this year.

Although the way our top 6 has been playing and if Kane can get back on track it's going to be very tough for Kopitar and Danault to shutdown the top 6.

Either way going to be interesting hockey to watch against LA if and when we play them in the playoffs.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
1680210200202.png
1680210209177.png

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
The complaining about having to stay up a little late is crying about spilled milk, especially as it pertains to kid's bed times. Some of my best memories as a child were being allowed to stay up late for only the playoff games. Not only did I build lifelong memories with my Dad, but it didn't hurt me one iota. Never understood the folks that treat a child's bed time as some sort of sacrosanct law that can't be flexed on occasionally when the time calls for it.
last year my kids all stayed up and watched the games, only rules were had to wear a jersey and no phones/tablets etc. as long as that wasnt happening they were allowed to stay up and watch the games with me

Reactions: TB12 and K1984

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
I bet they got Danault to match up with the Oilers especially after he shut them down in the Covid year. I hated when they signed him, knew it would be trouble for the Oilers.
i think the secret formula will be if they try to match kopitar to drai and danault to 97 i think woodcroft will go with nuge playing c on the 3rd line with 2 other decent scoring options. the oilers are too much for the kings in a 7 game series with the way the bottom 6 has been producing

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
The only advantage LA has is their forwards seem deep as hell but let that not detract from the entire team seeming weak as f***.

I'd be worried about that rat Mikey Anderson doing another kneejob though.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
last year my kids all stayed up and watched the games, only rules were had to wear a jersey and no phones/tablets etc. as long as that wasnt happening they were allowed to stay up and watch the games with me

In my day the only rule was that I wasn't allowed to cheer too loudly when we scored so that it didn't wake up my sister and ignite an uproar about why I was allowed to stay up and she wasn't (she gave zero f***s about sports) :laugh:

i think the secret formula will be if they try to match kopitar to drai and danault to 97 i think woodcroft will go with nuge playing c on the 3rd line with 2 other decent scoring options. the oilers are too much for the kings in a 7 game series with the way the bottom 6 has been producing

11/7 works for us because it gives Woodcroft the flexibility of sneaking McDavid/Drai into easy matchups, which is critical against teams like the Kings. They will be hard matching and hard trapping McDavid/Leon all game every game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Indeed. 50n5 suddendeath OT is the greatest thing in all of sports. I've never known a person not to like it. The same people complaining, do they binge watch a stupid series for 12hrs in a row?

ehhteen

5-14-6-1
Jan 15, 2010
Connor's Place
So would it better to match the McDavid line to Kopitar’s and Draisaitl to Danault’s line on home ice? I would imagine come playoffs that the Kings will hard match Danault/Doughty on McDavid when they get that last change.

I mean worst case just do what we did last year and load up McDrai which seemed too much to handle for LA despite Draisaitl playing on one leg.

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
if skinner can keep a 915 save % we beat LA in a 7 game series, their only chance are early back breaker type goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad