Post-Game Talk: Oilers vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
But it's like a hallmark for Jets 2.0, so how can you not love it?

I'd be alright with a somewhat passive system if we had Price in net. Thus far, six years in he hasn't volunteered to come over. So we've gone from saggy-baggy under Noel to a largely passive but less saggy box under Maurice. Maybe the next coach will actually introduce a microcosm of aggression? :sarcasm:

It's preseason. That's what I keep telling myself. It's preseason.

PoMo ran an aggressive system and times last year and it was getting beat by teams using quick puck movement. I don't like the PK either and I believe it needs to be better but this insistence on using an aggressive style my not be the answer either.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
PoMo ran an aggressive system and times last year and it was getting beat by teams using quick puck movement. I don't like the PK either and I believe it needs to be better but this insistence on using an aggressive style my not be the answer either.

I think it looks attractive because other teams seem to have success employing aggressive PKs against the Jets.

But once the offensive team is set up, most PKs go into the passive shell and try to close off shooting/passing lanes and keep things to the outside. The issue IMO is that the Jets seem to surrender the zone and allow teams to set up far too easily. The aggression needs to be employed to disrupt the other team's setup and that's where I think the Jets have had a lot of trouble...they just seem a little complacent.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I think it looks attractive because other teams seem to have success employing aggressive PKs against the Jets.

But once the offensive team is set up, most PKs go into the passive shell and try to close off shooting/passing lanes and keep things to the outside. The issue IMO is that the Jets seem to surrender the zone and allow teams to set up far too easily. The aggression needs to be employed to disrupt the other team's setup and that's where I think the Jets have had a lot of trouble...they just seem a little complacent.

That's a good observation.

I guess it's a balance that needs to be found. The players on the PK should have something to do with the system as well. Lowry and Armia I prefer staying a little more passive, they have excellent sticks and frequently win 1vs1 battles with strength. They are also a little slower of foot. Then when Chef and Wheels are out there I want them going right after any puck that's close to a 50/50 with their speed.

I'm interested to see what the composition of our PK will be. Could we use a Connor/Tanev unit that focuses on high pressure and speed? Could they be effective? I don't want Tanev on the roster but if we can find guys for the 4th line that Excell in PKing is that worth it if it reduces our 4th line to crap?

To start the season I'd like to see
Lowry/Armia
Little/MP
Copp/Matthias
Chef/Wheeler

This is assuming our 4th line is Matthias/Copp/Dano with Hendricks and Tanev in the PB and Petan goes to the Moose.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
While everyone is freaking out about special teams 2 games into the pre season I'd just like to point out that the team has had what 3 practices? PoMo specifically said he hadn't been working on special teams yet.

Also our PP has been running at an above average clip so far like it did for nearly the last 5 months of last season. The PK hasn't been great so far but the notion that PoMo only rolls out a passive box isn't correct either. The system/players/formation all changed at different points last year and if they don't have success I imagine it will continue to change.

What should be looked at as promising is the Jets 5vs5 (you know the stuff they have actually been working on) play has been fine and an emphasis looks to be getting the defensemen moving the puck up quickly.

Deep breath. Pre season. Deep breath. Pre season

Sounds like a pass for Maurice's mediocrity

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Sounds like a pass for Maurice's mediocrity

I'm in the camp that will be happy to see him go by the 25 game mark if we aren't above the playoff.

Seems more like a lot of people here are using anything they can cling to in order to justify their ingrained opinion that PoMo is terrible and the sole reason the jets aren't a 164 point team.

It's the second game of the pre season 3 or 4 days into camp. Chill out.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm in the camp that will be happy to see him go by the 25 game mark if we aren't above the playoff.

Seems more like a lot of people here are using anything they can cling to in order to justify their ingrained opinion that PoMo is terrible and the sole reason the jets aren't a 164 point team.

It's the second game of the pre season 3 or 4 days into camp. Chill out.

It's also 7 seasons in

It's just pre season so there's your excuse
How many can we come up with before the end of the season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad