Post-Game Talk: Oilers vs Jets - Bell MTS Place - 7:00pm CT (preseason #2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
As I posted in the other thread, Jets are 60.4% CF (5v5) in the first two pre-season games, and we know how CF% is predictive of future success... ;)

Haha. Yeah things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. I think the team just needs to tweak a few lines and a get a bit more in sync.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Haha. Yeah things aren't nearly as bad as they seem. I think the team just needs to tweak a few lines and a get a bit more in sync.

I guess fans don't like the look of a high-event Corsi monster team, after all... :laugh:

#winz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I guess fans don't like the look of a high-event Corsi monster team, after all... :laugh:

#winz

Lol. Come to think of it this is sortive how the Leafs looked early on last year prior to finding their game.

It's more the special teams that are a bit concerning but I imagine they haven't been worked on that much.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
What I've learned after watching the Browns start to the season is that nothing matters in the preseason. Perfect 4-0 preseason and they look miserable now.

Who cares? Veteran guys are shaking out the rust and probably not giving it their all, the younger guys are the ones giving 110% percent because they're trying to make the team. And who had the younger team?

HPsauce

Jul 3, 2011
Winnipeg
Preseason is odd. Does everyone remember how bad Laine looked in preseason last year?

I was starting to wonder a bit too... Then the first game and he was on display

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah, there are things you can take away from games, chemistry, how our PP/PK looks, etc. I couldn't care about the score until the regular season starts.

These next two games will be more interesting to me, seeing what all the young guys can do without the top 6 getting all the ice time.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

#winz

I like the look of a team who can keep the puck out of the net. Buff looked bored and completely uninterested to be playing hockey. There is no excuses to losing to that ahl team when we fielded the roster we did preseason or regular season or road hockey. That was embarrassing to watch.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We should ice a line up off all rookies and young guys to see how we do. Our veteran heavy lineups aren't doing so well so far in pre season.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
I like the look of a team who can keep the puck out of the net. Buff looked bored and completely uninterested to be playing hockey. There is no excuses to losing to that ahl team when we fielded the roster we did preseason or regular season or road hockey. That was embarrassing to watch.

THIS^^^^^^

i don't care about fancy stats. we should have won that game 10 -0 based on talent iced.

Power-play looked horrible, PK looked weak, Mason looked panicked and sloppy. top 6 look disorganised and confused...... Bad bad news for Jets fans. looking at another high draft pick next summer to my eyes.:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Well, he doesn't seem as close as Morrissey did when Morrissey was a year away...

Morrissey is another level of defencemen so yeah I agree he doesn't look as close. Niku will be lucky to be a 5-6 kind of guy with 4 upside which is still good. Morrissey is a 1-2 defencmen. With elite upside.

MotionlessGravity

Apr 15, 2014
Winnipeg
Another thing to keep in mind is as a vet, you are just trying to bust the rust, get your legs and brain back up to speed. Your trying to do that while not getting hurt. I didn't see a minute of last nights game but attended the opener. In the opener there was very little body contact, guys are not in shot lanes etc. As a vet you are trying not to get hurt.

On the flip side the Oilers and Wild iced rosters full of guys vying for a few spots on the team. Their compete level and way they play the game is going to be different than the all the Vets in the Jets line up. Sure it sounds like a bit of an excuse, but there is definitely some merit to it and it contributes to why you can't put much stock into preseason.

I'll say it again, look what the Avs did in preseason and what they did in the season last year. We have 5 more games to figure our **** out before it matters. If things look the same 8-10 games into the season as they do now, then we can fire everyone, trade our roster, hit the panic button and relocate.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
What do you think our problem was? Players weren't listening to Maurice and Huddy enough?

I don't think it's a coincidence that our players suddenly couldn't get through the NZ after the first intermission. McLellan locked it down, which is what you'd expect. What is puzzling is how we went along with this and couldn't establish a forecheck. Oilers special teams were miles better.

We hit 4 posts, but two of them were from outer space. That game should have been 9-2 Jets if talent was the only factor.

Yeah I am not sure what the Jets are trying to do system-wise. Maybe these first two games were just about the vets getting dialed-in. It's a little concerning when it looks a lot like what we've seen from this team for the past two seasons though.

I still can't for the life of me understand why Maurice moved away from the game the team played in 2014-15. Everything changed for the worse at the beginning of 2015-16 - and it wasn't just the lack of Frolik and Stempniak...

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
What was disappointing for me was the passive box on the PK. Why they couldn't play aggressive is beyond me but that has to change or we are going to be dead last in PK

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I love Trouba on the point on the PP but I would not use Myers he tends to overhandle the puck. If they are going to use a second D man just use JMo but I would prefer Trouba and 4 forwards.

PoMo said earlier this week that there was not going to be PP time for Myers this year.

I'm assuming that means Buff and Troub are gonna be his PP qb's if healthy. That said, if the PP isn't working or Myers blows the doors off in Pre season maybe they run a 2D unit. I doubt it though.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
PoMo said earlier this week that there was not going to be PP time for Myers this year.

I'm assuming that means Buff and Troub are gonna be his PP qb's if healthy. That said, if the PP isn't working or Myers blows the doors off in Pre season maybe they run a 2D unit. I doubt it though.

I hope we use two 4F 1D units

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
While everyone is freaking out about special teams 2 games into the pre season I'd just like to point out that the team has had what 3 practices? PoMo specifically said he hadn't been working on special teams yet.

Also our PP has been running at an above average clip so far like it did for nearly the last 5 months of last season. The PK hasn't been great so far but the notion that PoMo only rolls out a passive box isn't correct either. The system/players/formation all changed at different points last year and if they don't have success I imagine it will continue to change.

What should be looked at as promising is the Jets 5vs5 (you know the stuff they have actually been working on) play has been fine and an emphasis looks to be getting the defensemen moving the puck up quickly.

Deep breath. Pre season. Deep breath. Pre season

rkp

Mar 31, 2011
if you are going to wait till the season to start to establish your PP and PK...you could in end up watching the rest of the league passing the jets by

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
if you are going to wait till the season to start to establish your PP and PK...you could in end up watching the rest of the league passing the jets by

We had one of the best PPs in the league last year in the previous season.....

Very little should be taken from these games.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
What was disappointing for me was the passive box on the PK. Why they couldn't play aggressive is beyond me but that has to change or we are going to be dead last in PK

I agree with this. Really don't like the passivity on the PK.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I agree with this. Really don't like the passivity on the PK.

But it's like a hallmark for Jets 2.0, so how can you not love it?

I'd be alright with a somewhat passive system if we had Price in net. Thus far, six years in he hasn't volunteered to come over. So we've gone from saggy-baggy under Noel to a largely passive but less saggy box under Maurice. Maybe the next coach will actually introduce a microcosm of aggression? :sarcasm:

It's preseason. That's what I keep telling myself. It's preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad