Votes: 21 63.6%
  • Under

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I hate to say it but sometimes with McDavid and Draisaitl, I feel like they're more concerned about putting up points than winning games. I know at the beginning of the season, McDavid said something about not caring about individual trophies. But from what I see on the ice, not sure I believe it. Who knows, maybe hes not even doing it on purpose.

I remember the other night when Kane scored his empty net hattrick goal, McDavid could of just passed it to Kane but instead he passed it to Draisaitl who then had to make an awkward pass to Kane (to ensure Draisaitl would get a point). Then on the power play I almost feel like neither guy will shoot the puck if the other one isnt going to get an assist. Maybe I am dreaming and reading too much into it though.
I see this on the powerplay for sure. Puck has to touch both McD and Drai first or don't even try to shoot it. D man actually shoots the puck? Get him off the PP, we just need someone to pass through. I was initially thinking this too on the Kane goal, but I'm pretty sure if not going through Drai first it would have been picked off/Kane would have got covered.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid and Draisaitl were both playing well two way under Woodcroft last year while putting up big points.

Both have been brutal defensively this year but right at this point I believe its the players themselves not pulling their weight.

McDavid covering no one as mentioned and Draisaitl no look passes for brutal GA giveaways are big issues. The rest of the team following suit. Bouchard jekel and hyde is a bit understandable due to age/skill set but even Nurse is obviously pushing for offensive harder than defense.

If this was something new Id be more concerned about the coaching but its likely just the players reverting to their stubborn ways. Hopefully Woody gets everyone back playing the way we know they can.
I'm not convinced Woody has a big wooden stick. Its always interested me is what does his getting ugly look like. Does he have a yardstick.

Managing is easy in good times. its how managers encounter adversity that defines them. Woody is just seeing spots of it.

I'll say he gets absolved a lot here too. The time to take a timeout was after the tying goal. We had given up a 2 goal lead on home ice already. The team were flummoxed. Woody waited for us to be down a goal with 2mins left and very little chance of comeback. Tippett was burned at the stake here for the same. Or I'm not spotting what the difference is.

Woody put Barrie and a rookie, Nemo out immediately after a late tying goal and we lost the game. zero points. Has he even commented on it?

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm not convinced Woody has a big wooden stick. Its always interested me is what does his getting ugly look like. Does he have a yardstick.

Managing is easy in good times. its how managers encounter adversity that defines them. Woody is just seeing spots of it.

I'll say he gets absolved a lot here too. The time to take a timeout was after the tying goal. We had given up a 2 goal lead on home ice already. The team were flummoxed. Woody waited for us to be down a goal with 2mins left and very little chance of comeback. Tippett was burned at the stake here for the same. Or I'm not spotting what the difference is.

Woody put Barrie and a rookie, Nemo out immediately after a late tying goal and we lost the game. zero points. Has he even commented on it?
Tippet never used time-outs appropriately. Woody has improved that for sure if even imperfect. Line juggling far better/well thought out.

I will point out that split the D pass right after the change happens to every team many times over. I think, that had more to do with timing than, full fledged blown coverage. Its not like either Barrie or Niem has been playing poorly... relatively speaking anyway... so far this year.

A lot of the defensive zone breakdowns are almost Eakins style swarming one side by the forwards up high all going to one side and leaving the other WIIIIIIIIIDE open for a grade AAA chance. Since we didnt see any/little of that last year under Woodcroft one has to think this an execution thing rather than a system thing.

Time will tell of course.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Tippet never used time-outs appropriately. Woody has improved that for sure if even imperfect. Line juggling far better/well thought out.

I will point out that split the D pass right after the change happens to every team many times over. I think, that had more to do with timing than, full fledged blown coverage. Its not like either Barrie or Niem has been playing poorly... relatively speaking anyway... so far this year.

A lot of the defensive zone breakdowns are almost Eakins style swarming one side by the forwards up high all going to one side and leaving the other WIIIIIIIIIDE open for a grade AAA chance. Since we didnt see any/little of that last year under Woodcroft one has to think this an execution thing rather than a system thing.

Time will tell of course.
Its not just the D pair. The Center and pressure winger have responsibilities on that play. Both Kane and Drai did not perform them. Kane was not in the prevent lane, was off to the side for some reason (I don't even know why) and Drai had turned around not even expecting possibility of a play. Both forwards should be expecting at least the possibility, neither did.

Teams with good defensive structure cover passing lanes. We don't even do it on set plays off a faceoff. Devils pulled the same play against Calgary. I don't watch them much so I suspect its one of their set plays. We didn't even scout it.

I disagree on when we would be seeing Woodcroft influence. We would be seeing more of that this season because he's had a complete camp and preseason to work on his and Mansons schemes. so that they would be more on display now than when a coach just took over a club midstream.

The common denominator seems to be less difficult practices, less demanding practices and less focus and intensity occuring in games.

Reactions: Aerchon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad