Pre-Game Talk: Oilers vs. Avs. Saturday February 16th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I hope it's Potter coming out if Witney goes back in. I'd like to see Fistric remain in there because I think he's been solid so far. I don't think he's really had a bad game yet of all the games he's been in.. probably the only other dman other than J Schultz that I can say that about.

I actually didn't think Potter had a bad game vs Dallas either... honestly wouldn't mind Whitney sitting out yet again but no doubt Krueger wants to see how well Whitney plays coming back from his time in the PB.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
The thing I don't get about either of their benchings, is neither really fessed up to their terrible play as of late. They both state they're disappointed, which is a given, but hadn't in any way confessed to their play being the cause as to why they're out. Both had stated, 'It's the coaches decision..' as an almost surprising element contributing as the leading factor, when anyone could see it was a very simple decision based on their play as of late.

I haven't read all of the Smyth comments, but from the gist of what I recall, it was basically based around him being disappointed and being a real competitor. Cool. Play better.

/vent.

Expatriate

Aug 3, 2007
Saint John
The thing I don't get about either of their benchings, is neither really fessed up to their terrible play as of late. They both state they're disappointed, which is a given, but hadn't in any way confessed to their play being the cause as to why they're out. Both had stated, 'It's the coaches decision..' as an almost surprising element contributing as the leading factor, when anyone could see it was a very simple decision based on their play as of late.

I haven't read all of the Smyth comments, but from the gist of what I recall, it was basically based around him being disappointed and being a real competitor. Cool. Play better.

/vent.

If they play on Saturday and stink the joint out they should never see the ice as an Oiler again.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
He can come in for Potter, **** that guy is useless.

Potter is useless, but I actually thought he did not play that badly against the Stars last game. Mind you, I'm so used to seeing Whitney crap the bed, anything is looking like an upgrade.:)

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like Tortorella's comments... he said the players decide who plays... it's not his decision.

It's the players performances that dictate who's in and out of the lineup. Perfect reasoning... and takes out any animosity that players should be feeling towards the coach and puts it on themselves. They simply aren't good enough and have to show that they can do better to stay in the lineup.

Of course you have to have a certain level of introspective ability to realize that and not every player can do the self-analysis that's required to improve. Many have enormous egos and have to place blame everywhere but on the person in the mirror.

Last edited:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
I didn't mind potter against the stars either. I hope Whitney becomes a man and represents who he thinks he really is as a hockey player on Saturday. Smyth will represent who he is as a player but it may not be good because he is gettin old.

How did smyth do in the dot when he was centering for a while? He seems like he is crafty enough to squeeze out some FO wins..

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
This is shaping up to be a break out game for the Oilers.

3 full days off
Played hard and lost last game
2 Pissed off Ryan's getting back in the line up

Glad I'm going to be at this game

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
If you missed our reports earlier, it's official, Martin Biron in goal; Brian Boyle, a scratch for three games, in for Chris Kreider

I see other teams do scratch highly touted rookies. Bookmark this right next to Hall saying he doesn't want to play center.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I didn't mind potter against the stars either. I hope Whitney becomes a man and represents who he thinks he really is as a hockey player on Saturday. Smyth will represent who he is as a player but it may not be good because he is gettin old.

How did smyth do in the dot when he was centering for a while? He seems like he is crafty enough to squeeze out some FO wins..

He squeezed out a few, but at 43.2% he isn't good enough to take the job away from one of the younger centers, IMO.

Worst of all is the lack of footspeed and giveaways. According to NHL.com Smytty has 11 giveaways right now, which is worst on the team.

Paajarvi only has one giveaway and is rushing the puck through the neutral zone pretty effectively. He also skates well enough to pressure the D on the other team and force some mistakes there as well.

I'm hoping that Krueger isn't going to cave-in to the pressure and pull Paajarvi from the line-up quite yet. He's not hurting the team out there, is showing some positive signs in terms of development, and scored a big goal in Columbus to get us 2 points.

ps. I think you're right about Whitney manning up. Maybe getting benched will place a burr under his saddle and get him going again. Hard to say how much of his problem has to do with the fact his feet have been surgically reconstructed. His skating might feel completely different, and it may be that some patience is in order in terms of getting him back to where he was - assuming that is even possible at this point.

Last edited:

oilfaninvan

Mar 31, 2004
van
i'd almost go with the same lineup against the avs that we had against the stars. It's not like we were outplayed. We played 2 solid periods and the wheels feel off early in the 3rd.

I guess the problem is sitting smyth who assumes he's in for saturday's game.

totally agree.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I like Tortorella's comments... he said the players decide who plays... it's not his decision.

It's the players performances that dictate who's in and out of the lineup. Perfect reasoning... and takes out any animosity that players should be feeling towards the coach and puts it on themselves. They simply aren't good enough and have to show that they can do better to stay in the lineup.

Of course you have to have a certain level of introspective ability to realize that and not every player can do the self-analysis that's required to improve. Many have enormous egos and have to place blame everywhere but on the person in the mirror.

As long as the same rules apply to everyone this works. If not it is a huge problem. We had a few moves in the MacT era where he was perfectly willing to sit out his non fav players for performance issues but NEVER sat out his favourites no matter how terribly they played. If Krueger is totally consistent with it then it can work, if not he is asking for trouble.

Turrican*

Ugh Whitney is back... Did he magically get cybernetic ankles? If not, its gonna be the same old ****.

And it better be Potter sitting.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
OilersNation ‏@OilersNation
Currently, VandeVelde and Eager are the only Oilers regularly wearing kevlar socks - should the team make them mandatory? Thoughts? -bm

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
It would be hard to justify sitting Fistric. He's been as advertised in every game he's played.

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
It would be hard to justify sitting Fistric. He's been as advertised in every game he's played.

Agreed, he's played really well; played a much more physical game than any of our other defensemen. I'll be really disappointed if Potter stays in the lineup ahead of him.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
This is shaping up to be a break out game for the Oilers.

3 full days off Played hard and lost last game
2 Pissed off Ryan's getting back in the line up

Glad I'm going to be at this game

That sounds like a recipe for disaster for the Oil.

Reimer

Tambo Troll Face
Jan 19, 2006
Steve Zipay ‏@stevezipay
If you missed our reports earlier, it's official, Martin Biron in goal; Brian Boyle, a scratch for three games, in for Chris Kreider

I see other teams do scratch highly touted rookies. Bookmark this right next to Hall saying he doesn't want to play center.

I'd take Boyle on this team in a heartbeat.

Isn't he a center too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Carlton Blues @ Sydney Swans
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,420.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Denmark vs Great Britain