Pre-Game Talk: Oilers v Stars Nov 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
A part of me thinks that Pitlick would be a great fit with McDavid with his simple game and 'crash the net' mentality.

Disagree. Pitlick simply doesn't have the offensive awareness or talent to make that a net benefit. Sure he's in vogue right now because he's gotten some timely hard working goals and is riding a hot shooting percentage, but IMO his niche will never be as a top 2 line forward. He would have far too many plays die on his stick from his lack of ability to make the juice worth the squeeze.

I love his strong skating and physicality and effort, when his body's not broken. His niche is as a bottom 6 forward, if he can stay healthy he's a good asset there.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Disagree. Pitlick simply doesn't have the offensive awareness or talent to make that a net benefit. Sure he's in vogue right now because he's gotten some timely hard working goals and is riding a hot shooting percentage, but IMO his niche will never be as a top 2 line forward. He would have far too many plays die on his stick from his lack of ability to make the juice worth the squeeze.

I love his strong skating and physicality and effort, when his body's not broken. His niche is as a bottom 6 forward, if he can stay healthy he's a good asset there.

Agreed, he's a perfect bottom 6 player for us. Good skater, physical, and plays a heart and soul style game. He's a nice balance to put on the ice after our skill lines.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

He does have more offensive instincts than the typical bottom 6er, and we've seen it with some of his great set ups this year (including the Lander goal), but I agree its not enough to put him with McDavid. Maroon already fills the role of the less skilled guy that does the dirty work, and you just can't have 2 of those on the line with Connor. You need one skilled guy who can be the sniper on the line because no matter how good McDavid is, he's a playmaker first, second, and third. Despite the fact that he will likely be a 30 goal scorer, he is certainly no sniper at this point in his career.

Pitlick fits best on the 4th line imo, and thats because he brings more offence than we're used to seeing on our 4th line, and actually gives us an offensive contribution from a place that we don't usually see it. Pitlick on the 4th line is where you really start to see the improved depth on this team

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
we'll at least have the energy advantage

And the injury advantage.

Dallas from last season lost Goligoski and Demers on defence and replaced them internally and with a fairly washed up Hamhuis. They lost Nichushkin to the KHL, and currently have the following players out with injuries/sickness: Sharp, Spezza, Hemsky, Janmark, Eakin, Hudler. Jamie Benn is also playing through an injury right now. Combine that with the fact that both of their goaltenders are pretty weak at this point in their careers, and this is a game we should and need to win.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
He does have more offensive instincts than the typical bottom 6er, and we've seen it with some of his great set ups this year (including the Lander goal), but I agree its not enough to put him with McDavid. Maroon already fills the role of the less skilled guy that does the dirty work, and you just can't have 2 of those on the line with Connor. You need one skilled guy who can be the sniper on the line because no matter how good McDavid is, he's a playmaker first, second, and third. Despite the fact that he will likely be a 30 goal scorer, he is certainly no sniper at this point in his career.

Pitlick fits best on the 4th line imo, and thats because he brings more offence than we're used to seeing on our 4th line, and actually gives us an offensive contribution from a place that we don't usually see it. Pitlick on the 4th line is where you really start to see the improved depth on this team

I hope that statement is on regards to McDavid and not Pitlick.

Pitlick is a really good 4th liner that can play in a more skilled role if absolutely necessary. I can see him having some success with RNH in injury coverage but he is no first liner.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
And the injury advantage.

Dallas from last season lost Goligoski and Demers on defence and replaced them internally and with a fairly washed up Hamhuis. They lost Nichushkin to the KHL, and currently have the following players out with injuries/sickness: Sharp, Spezza, Hemsky, Janmark, Eakin, Hudler. Jamie Benn is also playing through an injury right now. Combine that with the fact that both of their goaltenders are pretty weak at this point in their careers, and this is a game we should and need to win.

Oh right they picked up the hamhands. They are currently the definition of a team you shouldn't lose to right now.

Last edited:

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Oh right they picked up the neanderthal. They are currently the definition of a team you shouldn't lose to right now.

Which is why it isn't guaranteed... The Oilers historically lay eggs against teams they should beat. Just look at the injury riddled Sabres last month.

Just another test to see if this team is different. They need to learn how to beat those teams or they'll never turn the corner.

RegDunlop

Nov 5, 2016
Edmonton
first game back after long road trip + fan base feeling positve + struggling/injured opponent = 5-2 loss

this game will hurt

This just can't happen anymore. No more excuses. No more 'not being ready at puck drop for 4-6 games straight. This team has finally matured in many aspects. Now take the next step. 3 days off between games, enough for jet lag, practise, and homecoming to not be factors.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Stars lines in CGY:

Benn-Faksa-Korpikoski
Roussel-Seguin-(Eaves)
McKenzie-Shore-Ritchie
Smith-Dowling-Cracknell

we better win if that is what they are icing tomorrow

Oh man! We should dominate those players pretty good.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
This just can't happen anymore. No more excuses. No more 'not being ready at puck drop for 4-6 games straight. This team has finally matured in many aspects. Now take the next step. 3 days off between games, enough for jet lag, practise, and homecoming to not be factors.

You're right it can't happen anymore, and I hope it doesn't. The formula and result is just my expectations due to being so jaded from the Oilers performance pattern over the last 8+ years.

If they come out with energy and prove that this team is different and controls this game and wins, I'll be a happy happy fan :nod:

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
Anyone remember the last game against a team we were supposed to blow out of the water 'cause of how bad the matchup looked on paper? Yeah. That lineup can beat us if they show up to play and we don't.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Flames look awful....but physical.....

perfect recipe.

Good old Korpi doing the damage for Stars!

PS> I need to stop looking at out of town scores.. Not good for my BP.. SJ and NSH tie up their games.. MIN is now leading the Pens.. ANA wins.. VAN score one..
Wish our team just goes on a tear so we wont have to care about what other teams in West are doing.

McDynasty

Nov 11, 2013
Finally, a fan that knows what they are talking about. I never understand why most fans want Lander out of the lineup, he's a very good hockey player, and crucial to the team's success.

jack-nicholson-at-the-bar-shining1.jpg

Lander...I've always liked Lander, always have and always will.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Show up and do your ****ing jobs boys and the results will take care of themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad