Pre-Game Talk: Oilers v Jets - JP, Plague Free - Monday 7 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I still believe Reinharts' career was skewered because they tried to move him to his off side.

I want to see Bouchards development in the best possible situation. On his wrong side a few games into his career is not optimal.

Move Larsson. He's a veteran. Much preferable to moving a rookie.
Reinhart's career was skewered because he couldn't skate at the NHL level, and didn't appear to care to really work on it. Everything else flowed from that.

Oilhawks

Not-my-fault Skinner
Nov 24, 2011
Not sure what you're trying to say, son. Can you clarify please?

I read it as he might have made the show if he was a 3 RD - third paying right handed defenseman. I think it's possible too since RD is a bit more rare but I still feel his boots were the main thing that held him back. He was glacially slow on the ice vs the modern speed. Could have been a player the previous decade when speed wasn't as big of a concern.

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Sucks no games today worth watching

I like this all Canadian division - I would like to see it next year as well - at least that is the way I feel now

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Reinhart's career was skewered because he couldn't skate at the NHL level, and didn't appear to care to really work on it. Everything else flowed from that.

this is why guys like KRussell (who skate well) always get contracts

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I read it as he might have made the show if he was a 3 RD - third paying right handed defenseman. I think it's possible too since RD is a bit more rare but I still feel his boots were the main thing that held him back. He was glacially slow on the ice vs the modern speed. Could have been a player the previous decade when speed wasn't as big of a concern.
Yah, I also heard smoke where they said he wasn't really committed to working on his weaknesses. And you need to be able to skate, regardless of the pairing you're on.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sucks no games today worth watching

I like this all Canadian division - I would like to see it next year as well - at least that is the way I feel now
I hear you. I don't really give a crap about any of the other games either. Half of them can't play right now anyhow.

Reactions: gordonhught

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
a Flames team facing the Oilers has zero fear of any retribution as they constantly try to injure our players. I fear the Flames matchups without Kass... maybe the protection affect is minimal but it’s there. Could see Flamees doing something even stupider than they always try.

Don't forget that Khaira can chuck I'm with anyone. If Nurse can do considerable damage when he gets a hold of someone too. If he caves Gio's face in, the 5min penalty is worth it.

Khaira can plow his fists through Tkachuks face.

Lucic........is like that kid in the bully commercial who stands by himself smacking talk because he's too slow to catch up to anyone

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Mongo.jpg
Don't forget that Khaira can chuck I'm with anyone. If Nurse can do considerable damage when he gets a hold of someone too. If he caves Gio's face in, the 5min penalty is worth it.

Khaira can plow his fists through Tkachuks face.

Lucic........is like that kid in the bully commercial who stands by himself smacking talk because he's too slow to catch up to anyone[/QUOTE)

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Actually, the last 3 games, the bottom 6/Defence/Goalies have been winning the games for us, not the other way around. Our top 6 has been playing at evens, and preventing the other team from scoring. Can't see that going on forever. At some point, we're going to need production again from the top end of the lineup, and not depend on the PP all the time. Besides which, Nuge is struggling big time, and now would be a good time for a different look to see what happens. It's not like they're all going to suddenly forget their defensive responsibilities just because there's a new guy on their line.

I think with the talent in the North shutting down the other team is going to be a big part of winning. I don't care how they win, just that they do. They dominated Montreal the other night despite what the shot clock said. If the Oilers play like that all year they contend for the Cup IMO. I thought they were better than Toronto and Calgary too in their recent games with goaltending in Calgary particularly being the difference although against Toronto it was an issue too. Ottawa wins only half count. lol. It's a tough division and defense is going to have to win the day on a lot of nights. In saying all that I don't think you're saying anything unreasonable in the slightest and I'm not really arguing against you as much as interpreting where I think Tippett is coming from and why as I think it has merit.

Reactions: AddyTheWrath

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010

I read it as he would have done better if he had been picked in the 3rd round and felt he had to work harder in order to make it. Sometimes a high draft position can give a player a sense of entitlement that means they won't feel the need to work as hard.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I think with the talent in the North shutting down the other team is going to be a big part of winning. I don't care how they win, just that they do. They dominated Montreal the other night despite what the shot clock said. If the Oilers play like that all year they contend for the Cup IMO. I thought they were better than Toronto and Calgary too in their recent games with goaltending in Calgary particularly being the difference although against Toronto it was an issue too. Ottawa wins only half count. lol. It's a tough division and defense is going to have to win the day on a lot of nights. In saying all that I don't think you're saying anything unreasonable in the slightest and I'm not really arguing against you as much as interpreting where I think Tippett is coming from and why as I think it has merit.
I think you and I are both saying the same thing in a lot of ways. They need to play a certain way to win, and that is indisputable. What we're at odds with is deciding how we get there in terms of personnel deployment. And I think if a team gets to the point of playing a certain way, you can mix and match players all over the lineup. That's what good teams do. You can't rest on your laurels and be satisfied because of a small winning streak.

Reactions: Samus44

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I read it as he would have done better if he had been picked in the 3rd round and felt he had to work harder in order to make it. Sometimes a high draft position can give a player a sense of entitlement that means they won't feel the need to work as hard.
So now we have different interpretations of what some guy meant to say, lol. I'm going to go with , "I have no clue what it was", and leave it at that. Or maybe I'll just guess, "He was upset that he wasn't given the #3 jersey number, and it screwed with him so badly, he's out of the league now.":laugh:

Reactions: Samus44

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
At what point does Tippet actually try some different combos in the top 6?

Neither line is producing.

It's been 16 games of trying to build chemistry with the Kahun-Drai-Yamamoto line. It's been 16 games of RNH stapled to McDavid. None of it has clicked at any point.
Yeah, I don't get Tippet's obsession with playing RNH with McDavid at 5-on-5.
download.jpg

Reactions: fresh meat

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I still believe Reinharts' career was skewered because they tried to move him to his off side.

I want to see Bouchards development in the best possible situation. On his wrong side a few games into his career is not optimal.

Move Larsson. He's a veteran. Much preferable to moving a rookie.

Reinhart has always been a soft and slow plug. He's nothing more thsn a player who got drafted too high. Happens all the time.
He was traded by NYI for a reason.
The Oil dod nothing to ruin him...like at all

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Reinhart has always been a soft and slow plug. He's nothing more thsn a player who got drafted too high. Happens all the time.
He was traded by NYI for a reason.
The Oil dod nothing to ruin him...like at all

The Islanders forced him to switch sides, not the Oilers. He already was where he was when he got here.

He was slow and stubborn, yes, but he also was given no favors by the Islander switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad