Oilers Untouchables. #1

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Klefbom does have huge upside. I was super impressed with him this year big time. He could be a really great #3 d-man as soon as this year. But he isn't that yet. And there are no guarantees that he'll get there. We've seen so many players here in Edmonton peak early and never take that next level to being truly top end talent in the league. Give it a year and Klefbom can very easily climb this list. But he's not nearly the most valuable player to this team right now.

Fair enough, we don't know where he'll top out at. Hopefully we get a solid veteran to help him iron out his game next season.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Hall by a clear margin. Nuge isn't as important anymore with McDavid here

Was Messier less important because we had Gretzky? How about Malkin and his Conn Smythe is he less important because they have Crosby? We've got a 22 year old two way 1st line center who's on the upswing and locked up on a good deal, that's as important a piece as you can get and McDavid in no way makes that a redundant piece, just all the more lethal. Imagine Hopkins against 2nd pairings, he's never had that other than on the road as a rookie and we all know how well that went for him. If anything McDavid makes Hopkins even more important because it means we should have the advantage against nearly every teams top two lines, or for basically 2/3rds of the game. Without Hopkins we get the same problem we had last year.

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Was Messier less important because we had Gretzky? How about Malkin and his Conn Smythe is he less important because they have Crosby? We've got a 22 year old two way 1st line center who's on the upswing and locked up on a good deal, that's as important a piece as you can get and McDavid in no way makes that a redundant piece, just all the more lethal. Imagine Hopkins against 2nd pairings, he's never had that other than on the road as a rookie and we all know how well that went for him. If anything McDavid makes Hopkins even more important because it means we should have the advantage against nearly every teams top two lines, or for basically 2/3rds of the game. Without Hopkins we get the same problem we had last year.

Except we also have Draisaitl who could also fill that role. I wouldnt trade RNH now but I think it has to be a possibility down the road. Personally I'm not voting in these things because I dont think we have anyone who is untouchable. Heck I trade McDavid if it makes the team better, but if you make a deal you have to make sure it does make the team better. Of course you can make the team better by signing a top free agent and trade away players to free cap space.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Except we also have Draisaitl who could also fill that role. I wouldnt trade RNH now but I think it has to be a possibility down the road. Personally I'm not voting in these things because I dont think we have anyone who is untouchable. Heck I trade McDavid if it makes the team better, but if you make a deal you have to make sure it does make the team better. Of course you can make the team better by signing a top free agent and trade away players to free cap space.

Is Draisaitl going to be an All Star? How long until that happens? Will his two way game be as good? Does having three excellent centres sound like a bad thing? Hopkins is a very rare type of player a Toews-Bergeron-Zetterberg style player. You don't trade franchise centers because you have a very good prospect.

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Nah, he's still critically important.

You can't win without multiple good centres.

I agree that he's still important, but with Draisaitl as a potential 1/2, and Hall as our only elite player outside of McDavid, picking the better player (Hall) isn't as bad of an idea as it was pre-lottery

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Is Draisaitl going to be an All Star? How long until that happens? Will his two way game be as good? Does having three excellent centres sound like a bad thing? Hopkins is a very rare type of player a Toews-Bergeron-Zetterberg style player. You don't trade franchise centers because you have a very good prospect.

Nuge isn't anywhere near a Toews/Bergeron/Zetterberg/Franchise type player, and he may never be. As of right now he's very similar to Derek Stepan, decent offensive player with an underrated defensive game and still a lot of potential. I personally think Draisaitl will be the better fit for this team going forward but pre-lottery Nuge was by far the most important piece to this team, as of now the Oilers have options.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nuge isn't anywhere near a Toews/Bergeron/Zetterberg/Franchise type player, and he may never be. As of right now he's very similar to Derek Stepan, decent offensive player with an underrated defensive game and still a lot of potential. I personally think Draisaitl will be the better fit for this team going forward but pre-lottery Nuge was by far the most important piece to this team, as of now the Oilers have options.

Think is right. I would not trade a 1B center because we have a 2C to replace him. Until Leon comes in and shows that he is at least RNH's equal I would not even consider dealing RNH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad