News Article: Oilers & the World Cup: Draisaitl, Sekera (Europe) Korpikoski (Finland) McDavid (NA)

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
On then, as long as that's my argument. Not on paper, people don't understand talent anymore I guess.

You're telling me that a line of Crosby, Hall and Tavares with Doughty and Keith would struggle because they aren't 200 ft players? That's stupid.

The other team would hardly have the puck. Canada has a larger talent pool then anyone, use it.

So what you're telling me a line of Crosby, Bergeron, and Tavares with Doughty and Keith is going to struggle because they won't provide enough offensive? Defense wins and mistake free hockey is crucial when you can get eliminated in one game.

They have the best talent pool and they use it. Probably why we have won the past two olympics. Hall has what, 6 goals in his last 35 games? Not saying he doesn't have a case but how can you say he's undeniably more talented than a guy like Bergeron/Toews who are either matching his production or out producing him this season and are beasts come playoff time every year.

Last edited:

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
My point is hockey Canada can build a team SO Much then everyone else, it doesn't matter.

They aren't winning a Stanley Cup in the NHL playoff (which the still would anyway without those guys), it's single games.

They have a Larger Talent pool then any other nation at every position (except goal, it's Price, Holtby and then a drop off), so this BS about 200ft game and defensive shut down you guys, is stupid.

This team can be build with pure offensive players and would destroy everyone because you literally couldn't keep up with them.

The other thing, that everyone forgets, that defensecore is SO good 200ft players are fairly moot.

It's not 1987 anymore. The world has narrowed the gap, and they play a trap/counter-attack style against Canada. Run-and-gun plays right into what the weaker nations want in a game against Canada. To win Hockey Canada has to send their best players, who play the system the coach wants to implement, and who have proven they can elevate their play in big games. Moreover, as I have stated numerous times, Canada needs to consider all game situations - they need 6 elite defensive forwards to play the PK (unless you think they will never take a penalty). Canada needs at least four dominant faceoff takers (two-righties and two lefties). We need players that can play any forward position so that lines can be shuffled as needed when the opponent deploys different tactics.

Do I think Hall should make the 2016 WC team? Yes, I think he has a good chance to be one of the remaining players named, especially as natural wingers are relatively the weakest position for Canada.

Should Hall be a lock for Team Canada first 16 players named? No, because he doesn't have the resume these others player have.

If you think Seguin and Stamkos are 200 ft players...

Seguin makes it because of chemistry with Benn, who was a lock for the team, and they are 2/3 in league scoring. Simple as that. If Hall was in Dallas, and had chemistry with Benn, he would be in Seguin's place.

Stamkos was a controversial choice for the original 16, IMO, because his play has fallen off a bit in recent years (i.e., he is no longer a guy that threatens to score 50 goals every season). That being said, I think Hockey Canada is committed to playing him in Crosby's wing. The only major value I see Stamkos adding a big one-timer on the PP. Outside of Weber, Canada lacked a heavy shot on the PP in 2014. That is why some feel Subban should also be on the team; however, RHD is a crowded position for Canada.

Stamkos is a "bigger" name regardless of his performance. It's the same reason Rick Nash always gets considered.

Hall and Giroux can be 1 and 2 in scoring and they would still be after thoughts. HC obviously has their faves. Like someone else and myself mentioned, we're probably going to see Rick Nash part of the final roster as well.

Rick Nash is silly argument. He wasn't named to the team, like many other of the double gold veterans, and yet people throw his name out there for some unknown reason. He deserved his spot in 2010 and 2014 because in his prime, he was big and he could skate. He was key to the roster as part of the Toews line in 2010 (he was lined up against prime Ovechkin in 2010 and shut him out), and his role declined to the 4th line/13th forward in 2014. He is probably not going to make the cut in 2016.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Rick Nash is silly argument. He wasn't named to the team, like many other of the double gold veterans, and yet people throw his name out there for some unknown reason. He deserved his spot in 2010 and 2014 because in his prime, he was big and he could skate. He was key to the roster as part of the Toews line in 2010 (he was lined up against prime Ovechkin in 2010 and shut him out), and his role declined to the 4th line/13th forward in 2014. He is probably not going to make the cut in 2016.

Yup, say what you want about Nash's struggles when it comes to production in the season and playoffs but he's a nightmare style match up against the other nation's best players and has proven it. He has not hurt Canada when he's be on the ice for big games.

Originally Posted By*

So did you even read the oilers nation post of Hall? The PP has been garbage this year in general. It's hard to blame Hall for the PP woes, when the coaches decide to play Mark Letestu out of all people. Not sure how his assists are considered secondary either. That makes little to no sense. Considering he put up the most points while McDavid was out and is still leading the team in points means what? How about draisaitl's struggle to produce right now as well? And yes, it's clearly Hall's fault for our team hurting since he's been our best player over the past years. Not a OBC management along with bad goaltending and the worst D in the league that involved plugs like Peckham, Barker, Teubert, etc.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses. And to be honest, Hockey Canada doesn't give two ***** about Hall and how he has to deal with Letestu on a power play unit. The cream of the crop ALWAYS rise to the top. The robotic responses to anyone who calls out Hall is getting out of hand Asuno.

Put up or shut up, that should be Hall's mentality and Hockey Canada's mentality. It's always an excuse with Hall, when can we just face the music and say he is what he is? A high speed, streaky winger who is one dimensional? Would that be lying?

Just read your response that I quoted and tell me it doesn't sound pathetic?

Fact of the matter is he's been invisible in 2016 when we needed him most, and McDavid (the teenager) is not only producing at a incredible level and carrying the team, but he's being a leader.

Look at the big picture, and stop looking into the past (80 point player, OBC, etc etc etc) zzz....

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think we have to accept that Hall just isn't that good. He has offensive talent but other areas of his game simply aren't good enough for him to be considered one of Canada's best.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think we have to accept that Hall just isn't that good. He has offensive talent but other areas of his game simply aren't good enough for him to be considered one of Canada's best.

Is this a joke? Isn't good? wut

His offensive ability is amongst best in NHL, and from a possession stand point, dude is elite as well there.

He is the PK Subban of forwards. Elite, but some mouth breathers (TC brain trust) are still stuck in 2013

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Sounds like a bunch of excuses. And to be honest, Hockey Canada doesn't give two ***** about Hall and how he has to deal with Letestu on a power play unit. The cream of the crop ALWAYS rise to the top. The robotic responses to anyone who calls out Hall is getting out of hand Asuno.

Put up or shut up, that should be Hall's mentality and Hockey Canada's mentality. It's always an excuse with Hall, when can we just face the music and say he is what he is? A high speed, streaky winger who is one dimensional? Would that be lying?

Just read your response that I quoted and tell me it doesn't sound pathetic?

Excuses? Alright, then please explain why the oilers Pp has been worse under Woodcroft than it was under Krueger who had a less superior team to work with? What robotic responses? You mean ones that call Hall out for being "jealous" of McDavid or other nonsense rhetorics?

Again, you ignore so many things I say just to write out your personal vendetta against Hall along with using somebody in Kelly ****ing Hrudey's comments. Yeah, he's totally one dimensional. Good way to ignore what he did in the Kings game that lead to Kassian's goal. My opinions pathetic to you because I defend hall.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Perfect Human*

So did you even read the oilers nation post of Hall? The PP has been garbage this year in general. It's hard to blame Hall for the PP woes, when the coaches decide to play Mark Letestu out of all people. Not sure how his assists are considered secondary either. That makes little to no sense. Considering he put up the most points while McDavid was out and is still leading the team in points means what? How about draisaitl's struggle to produce right now as well? And yes, it's clearly Hall's fault for our team hurting since he's been our best player over the past years. Not a OBC management along with bad goaltending and the worst D in the league that involved plugs like Peckham, Barker, Teubert, etc.

It's obvious people who love Hall and those of us who see him as very overrated will not see eye to eye. We never say he's a bad player just nowhere near as good as many Oilers fans and Edmonton media make him out to be. There are many, not all, outside of this market who can see that Hall is not what you guys make him out to be.
Hall is not completely to blame for a bad pp but I'm strictly looking at how he is playing, how he handles the puck, makes decisions, pass selection etc etc and he is not a good pp/puck possession type player. You are putting way too much stock on numbers and stats. Just watch the player.
There have been articles on Hall (Dreger comments on radio) that he's "uncoachable", lacks effort, is the face of this losing culture etc. And people outside of this market that are not afraid to criticize him or drink the Hall Kool-Aid yet many in Edmonton just seem to dismiss those criticism as stupid or un-hockey-educated. Here are a couple quotes from an NHL Western team coach and a Western NHL team exec:

"Hall doesn’t have great hockey sense, but he’s an honest, hard-working player who can skate and shoot the puck. He competes. The kid plays hard."

"I like Hall, but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is this lack of awareness, it seems to me"

Like I said it is no surprise he was not selected to Sochi in 2014 when he had a career year. Even Duchene was selected. I believe GMs and coaches around the league know, for the most part, that this guy is nowhere near as good as his numbers indicate and can be a liability. And I believe they know a heck of a lot more about hockey than we do.

It's unfortunate he's had to play with a lot of poor players and that may have ******** his development.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
It's obvious people who love Hall and those of us who see him as very overrated will not see eye to eye. We never say he's a bad player just nowhere near as good as many Oilers fans and Edmonton media make him out to be. There are many, not all, outside of this market who can see that Hall is not what you guys make him out to be.
Hall is not completely to blame for a bad pp but I'm strictly looking at how he is playing, how he handles the puck, makes decisions, pass selection etc etc and he is not a good pp/puck possession type player. You are putting way too much stock on numbers and stats. Just watch the player.
There have been articles on Hall (Dreger comments on radio) that he's "uncoachable", lacks effort, is the face of this losing culture etc. And people outside of this market that are not afraid to criticize him or drink the Hall Kool-Aid yet many in Edmonton just seem to dismiss those criticism as stupid or un-hockey-educated. Here are a couple quotes from an NHL Western team coach and a Western NHL team exec:

"Hall doesn’t have great hockey sense, but he’s an honest, hard-working player who can skate and shoot the puck. He competes. The kid plays hard."

"I like Hall, but there is a missing level of engagement, somehow. You want to love him. He plays hard, with reckless abandon. He tries, he battles. But there is this lack of awareness, it seems to me"

Like I said it is no surprise he was not selected to Sochi in 2014 when he had a career year. Even Duchene was selected. I believe GMs and coaches around the league know, for the most part, that this guy is nowhere near as good as his numbers indicate and can be a liability. And I believe they know a heck of a lot more about hockey than we do.

It's unfortunate he's had to play with a lot of poor players and that may have ******** his development.

Cool, Dreger. The same guy who said he hears Hall's a problem in the room which was shut down by McLellan immediately. Or how the leafs wouldn't trade Reimer straight up for Yakupov. How about his defending of Eakins once the man got fired? I could give a rats ass about Dreger.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Crosby didn't make team Canada his first eligible year either. What a trash overrated player.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011

He is undeniably one of Canada's best LWers, just not the best. If team Canada would rather have centers play wing then that's their choice. If they only had natural wingers playing on the wing he would surely be on the team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Is this a joke? Isn't good? wut

His offensive ability is amongst best in NHL, and from a possession stand point, dude is elite as well there.

He is the PK Subban of forwards. Elite, but some mouth breathers (TC brain trust) are still stuck in 2013

I will take the opinions of the greatest hockey minds in our country over fans of the team Hall plays for.

Hall is the definition of one-dimensional. He provides nothing to a team at all except points. He's struggling mightily lately to even do that. Players like Marchand put up SIMILAR points but bring far more to a team away from the scoresheet.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Forget hall not making the opening 16 of the best roster in the world. How about nuge not making a glorified junior team? Must mean he's actually not that good..... Right guys? I'll take the minds of the best hockey minds in the world for that one.

Or does it not work that way?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The petty sniping at each other needs to stop, and stop right now.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Saying Hall is not good enough or doesn't possess elite skills is bollocks as well. He definitely deserves to be in the conversation for the country that has the deepest talent pool there is which is a huge testament in its own right.

It's just the team he plays for may lead to too many unknown variables. Same with his ability to produce consistently or produce a mistake free game which may be the reason another extremely talented player takes his spot.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
I will take the opinions of the greatest hockey minds in our country over fans of the team Hall plays for.

Hall is the definition of one-dimensional. He provides nothing to a team at all except points. He's struggling mightily lately to even do that. Players like Marchand put up SIMILAR points but bring far more to a team away from the scoresheet.

Marchand scores at a far lower rate than Hall. Maybe Hall needs to start spearing guys in the nuts more?

I wonder what you'll say if/when Hall makes the final roster.:shakehead

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Forget hall not making the opening 16 of the best roster in the world. How about nuge not making a glorified junior team? Must mean he's actually not that good..... Right guys? I'll take the minds of the best hockey minds in the world for that one.

I would be surprised if a spot on that team isn't his to lose. Still, it is head scratching with a few names that appeared on the prelim list but I personally don't mind keeping him off right now as a motivational tool for when he returns from injury.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Despite what Chia said, the fact that 8 Canadians and 8 Americans made the roster is very telling.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Despite what Chia said, the fact that 8 Canadians and 8 Americans made the roster is very telling.
He also said he believes RNH will make it but his injury put him off the 1st 16 chosen

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Yep. This is a much more glaring omission IMO.

RNH is the only eligible first overall pick(Yakupov) in the qualifying age range that wasn't a shoe in to make the first 16, and that should scare us because he is the oldest.

He will make the team probably but geez.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

That's going too far. Hall is not the perfect player, and yet he also is not fatally flawed.

I think Hall remains an unknown entity with Hockey Canada. They do not know if they can trust him in an important single-elimination game, and having no playoff situations to watch him play hurts his case. Nonetheless, Hall strong WHC 2015 performance was a big step forward for him and having a Hockey Canada trusted voice in McLellan speak for his positives will aid Hall's case for being named one of the final Canadian roster members. I think a solid WHC 2016 would be something that may push him over the top.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL

Yes, it was a brokered team between the Canadian and American managers. It remains a valid criticism of this version of the World Cup that marketing the teams has almost as much importance as the quality/integrity of the rosters.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
He also said he believes RNH will make it but his injury put him off the 1st 16 chosen

Can't help but think this whole thing has been very carefully calculated. I mean, there's no purpose to these rosters other than drum up buzz. So when it came down to final picks it was probably easy for Chia to understand that:

- Not picking RNH removes the idea of preferential treatment
- Balances the USA/CAN levels to shut up the inevitable critics
- Provides motivation to RNH to battle out the rest of the season and WC (he could have left off Monahan, but why hand the Flames an opportunity to motivate their player)
- It's easy to brush off the pot stirrers with the "this is how your own GM thinks of you" with the simple and well timed comment you alluded to

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Marchand scores at a far lower rate than Hall. Maybe Hall needs to start spearing guys in the nuts more?

I wonder what you'll say if/when Hall makes the final roster.:shakehead

They have very similar point totals this year.

I don't doubt Hall will make the roster. I do doubt he will be any sort of a focal point on that team. He will likely end up as an extra forward sheltered heavily.

There are too many Canadian players who play the game "the right way" that they're not going to have a defensive liability out there for any considerable amount of time.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
For what it's worth, they have Benn and Tavares on the team who both will be playing left wing, assuming on the top 2 lines. That leaves two more left wing spots. I firmly believe Marchand will be on this team paired on a line with Bergeron. They've been absolutely dynamite this year and Hockey Canada loves putting pairings like that together.

Then there's O'Reilly. versatile forward. Can play the left wing. He's having an unbelievable season. He is an outstanding centre/LW who is putting up almost identical numbers to Hall yet is very responsible defensively. Physical player. He's a team Canada type player.

There is enough scoring on team Canada. They simply have no need for one-dimensional scorers. You even have players like Matt Duchene who Canada has preferred over Hall in the past. They have no reason to bring liabilities. That's why you don't see P.K. Subban on that list of 16 players and most hockey pundits don't have him on their team.

Benn
Tavares
O'Reilly
Marchand
Duchene
Carter
Nash

Hell, even Carter has played LW. Rick Nash puts up a respectable amount of points while being a big body, and defensively responsible. Why on earth would they put Hall on this team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad