News Article: Oilers & the World Cup: Draisaitl, Sekera (Europe) Korpikoski (Finland) McDavid (NA)

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Lauri Korpikoski Named to Team Finland

WORLD CUP O' HOCKEY

Who else? RNH and McDavid to team NA?
Perhaps Hall makes Team Canada, but is he named in the preliminary roster?
Leon to team Europe?

Team Russia Prelim announced (no Yakupov)
Czech Team (sans Jagr?)

Sportsnet and the NHL Network will broadcast a three-hour special starting at 4 p.m. ET featuring the roster unveilings, including live coverage of the announcements by Team Europe (4:30 p.m. ET), Team North America (5:15 p.m. ET) and Team Canada (6:05 p.m. ET).

Team Sweden, including vice president and team leader Peter Forsberg and coach Rikard Gronborg, will make its announcement during a press conference at the MSG Training Center in Tarrytown, N.Y., at 12:30 p.m. ET.

Team Russia will unveil its roster via press release at 3 a.m. ET.
Team Finland, led by general manager Jere Lehtinen, will hold a press conference in Helsinki at 4 a.m. ET.
Team Czech Republic, with general manager Martin Rucinsky, will hold a press conference in Prague at 11 a.m. ET.

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Klefbom for Sweden I'd assume.

Havent payed much attention so I'm not sure is Team Europe U23 like Team NA? If so I'd have to think that Draisaitl would get consideration.

I think Leon may be a lock. Klefbom on the other hand has some serious competition, I don't think it's his year.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Klefbom for Sweden I'd assume.

Havent payed much attention so I'm not sure is Team Europe U23 like Team NA? If so I'd have to think that Draisaitl would get consideration.

I'm pretty sure Team Europe is for all the other european countries (i.e. excludes Russia, Sweden, Finland and Czech) so it will be a lot of Slovakians with at least one Slovenian and a smattering of players from Germany, Denmark, Belarus, etc.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think Leon may be a lock. Klefbom on the other hand has some serious competition, I don't think it's his year.

With Slovakia being included with "Europe", I would think that Draisaitl and Sekera are locks.

The Oilers I expect to be there.

Korpikoski (apparently, lol) - Finland
Hall - Canada
McDavid and Nuge - NA U-24
Draisaitl and Sekera - Europe

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Ohh forgot about Sekera.

Sweden is stacked on the blueline. I think he only gets in if there are injuries.

OEL, Karlsson, Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Klingberg, Kronwall, Stralman....

edit: Ekholm, Oduya, Edler, Lindholm, Brodin too.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Klefbom 50/50 for Sweden
Klefbom won't make it.

Hedman, Stralman, Karlsson, OEL, Hjalmarsson and Kronwall will be named today. The #7 D will be named later, but I'd expect it to be Klingberg or Ekholm. Larsson, Oduya and Brodin with an outside chance.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Klefbom won't make it.

Hedman, Stralman, Karlsson, OEL, Hjalmarsson and Kronwall will be named today. The #7 D will be named later, but I'd expect it to be Klingberg or Ekholm. Larsson, Oduya and Brodin with an outside chance.

Kinda forgot how many good Swedish D there are. Looking at that list I think you're right.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I'd be shocked if Hall makes it. He's been struggling a fair bit lately.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The question I have for Finland, do any of Rantanen, Laine or Puljarvi(I can't begin to be pretend to spell it) make the roster.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The question I have for Finland, do any of Rantanen, Laine or Puljarvi(I can't begin to be pretend to spell it) make the roster.

I am not sure how it will work with determining the rosters but I am pretty sure they will test drive the kids in the world championships. My bet is that both Laine and Puljarvi make it.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
So I figured that today would see the announcement of the whole roster, but it's only the first 16 players? When does the rest of it get announced?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I'm hoping Korpikoski plays well in the World Cup it might help us be able to move him, I think Hemsky's performance in the Olympics helped a little bit in moving him.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Hall should absolutely be on the team, but Hockey Canada always makes a few oddball decisions with their roster, and I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if he got snubbed.

Klefbom may have been in the running if he hadn't missed so much time with his injury, but at this point I'd be surprised if he made the team.

Good for Korpikoski, but his addition speaks to the lack of depth in the Finnish team.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hall should absolutely be on the team, but Hockey Canada always makes a few oddball decisions with their roster, and I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest if he got snubbed.

Klefbom may have been in the running if he hadn't missed so much time with his injury, but at this point I'd be surprised if he made the team.

Good for Korpikoski, but his addition speaks to the lack of depth in the Finnish team.

If Rick Nash makes this team again, the Hockey Canada braintrust should be fired.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Ohh forgot about Sekera.

Sweden is stacked on the blueline. I think he only gets in if there are injuries.

OEL, Karlsson, Hedman, Hjalmarsson, Klingberg, Kronwall, Stralman....

edit: Ekholm, Oduya, Edler, Lindholm, Brodin too.

^all of these guys likely get picked before Klefbom ever does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad