Proposal: Oilers team next year what will it look like; what would you do

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
here's what i wouldn't do....rush McEichafin, Leon, Nurse, Yakimov, Khaira, Musil, Simpson, Moroz or LB. we are going to suck next year whether Nikitin or Purcell or anyone else is on or gone from this team. the UFA market this year for good players is really thin, so expect those good players to sign with contenders....MacT needn't even bother wasting a buck on adding another 4th liner or bottom pairing d-man....we have plenty of those type of players already in the AHL.

McDavid and Eichel will both start in the NHL right away regardless of the team, but we can still help them out by letting them play wing for a season if we get them.

That's one main reason why I would sign Roy now regardless. I suppose we could also go after another center like Soderberg, but even then I wouldn't mind Roy on the wing, or as 3C. We could buy out Purcell to make it work, or trade him.

There was that rumour that Bernier was available. I get why they wouldn't trade him at the deadline since it's more of a draft day move.

We have the week before free agency where we can talk to free agents. Look for that center and a D.

That's all I would want to do. One center. One defensmen. One goalie. More than that is just changing too much too fast

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
After watching a couple of Flames games this year, Karri Ramo is the guy I want in net next year. I know he's another not so proven guy, but he likely comes a bit cheaper and won't want the kind of term that Niemi will. He could probably be had for 2-3 years at $3-4M or less.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
After watching a couple of Flames games this year, Karri Ramo is the guy I want in net next year. I know he's another not so proven guy, but he likely comes a bit cheaper and won't want the kind of term that Niemi will. He could probably be had for 2-3 years at $3-4M or less.

The guy I would take a chance on is Neuvirth. I quietly had a really good year on a bad team. He could be had for 2 years at 2 mill per year I would think.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This seems to be a good year to get a goalie. There are several good candidates out there and not that many buyers. How many teams out there are really looking, and would offer a good chance at being starter?

San Jose, Edmonton, Buffalo, maybe Philly and Arizona.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Seabrook has a NTC (limited, but still odds are it'll have Edmonton on his no go list) and I don't see him signing an extension here either.

My guesses PIT 1st + Ben Scrivens + Martin Marincin for Jonathan Bernier + TOR 3rd

Oilers select Noah Hanifin (no.3)

Oilers sign Christain Erhoff 6.25 mill per x 4 years (overpayment for shorter term)

Teddy Purcell @1 mill retained for Bryan Bickell

Derek Roy resigned @ 2.4 million

Hall Roy Yakupov
Pouliot RNH Eberle
Bickell Lander Pak
Hendricks Gordon Klink
Draisaitl

Erhoff Fayne
Klefbom Schultz
Ference Nikitin

Bernier
Back Up

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Looking at the stats

Johnny Hockey has 15 goals and 45pts--2nd in goals and first for pts if he played for the Oilers--103 players taken before him--oilers took Dillon Simpson, Travis Ewanyk, Samu Perhonen, David Musil, Oscar Klefbom, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins--- well the oiler scouts sort of saved their ***** with their 4th pick he has 9 goals and 15pts--Tobias Rieder

UglyStupidAds

Sep 17, 2005
Edmonton
Looking at the stats

Johnny Hockey has 15 goals and 45pts--2nd in goals and first for pts if he played for the Oilers--103 players taken before him--oilers took Dillon Simpson, Travis Ewanyk, Samu Perhonen, David Musil, Oscar Klefbom, and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins--- well the oiler scouts sort of saved their ***** with their 4th pick he has 9 goals and 15pts--Tobias Rieder
I'm really tired of this line of argument. Would Johnny Gaudreau have 15 goals and 45 points playing with the Oilers? No! Calgary has 182 goals to Edmonton's 145. Gaudreau benefits from playing with a much better offensive team.

Player X with Y points on team Z does not translate to Y points with the Oilers.

Furthermore hindsight is always 20/20! Calgary also drafted Sven Baertschi before Johnny Gaudreau (and before Oscar Klefbom) and have just traded him for a 2nd round pick. Point being that there are always going to be some late round steals. It doesn't necessarily mean that the picks before the steal were bad picks.

Moral of the story is that you don't need to cherry pick to find things the Oilers are doing wrong

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
This seems to be a good year to get a goalie. There are several good candidates out there and not that many buyers. How many teams out there are really looking, and would offer a good chance at being starter?

San Jose, Edmonton, Buffalo, maybe Philly and Arizona.

Last years was a much better year. Miller, Hiller and Halak were all available at the end of the season. Two of them signed in Western Canada and the other signed the first low-end starting goalie contract that was offered to him.

This offseason there isn't any goalie openly available as good as any of those 3. In fact, Niemi is the only goalie hitting free agency that has any sort of starter experience, and has barely kept that status from an above average backup in Stalock. There aren't even any starters that are really getting pushed out from young, emerging backups at this point. It's still too early for Lehner, Allen, Gibson and Vasilevskiy to command the #1.

Even next year looks better with Ward, Hiller and Andersen's contracts running out, and a higher possibiliy of young goalies like Lehner making Anderson available and Vasilevskiy making Bishop available.

This is a terrible year to find a goalie.

I'd be shocked if the Oilers could do any better than find another Ben Scrivens, god knows there's always a bounty full of sketchy unproven 1Bs out there. Jones, Tokarski, Raantta, Talbot.

And it'll be a surprise to nobody when such a goaltender fails in our system with our defence. MacT has been quite adament that nothing major will be changing with our defense going into next year, the same defense that's allowed the 2nd most goals in the West. As if a meddling backup can fix that.

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Last years was a much better year. Miller, Hiller and Halak were all available at the end of the season. Two of them signed in Western Canada and the other signed the first low-end starting goalie contract that was offered to him.

This offseason there isn't any goalie openly available as good as any of those 3. In fact, Niemi is the only goalie hitting free agency that has any sort of starter experience, and has barely kept that status from an above average backup in Stalock. There aren't even any starters that are really getting pushed out from young, emerging backups at this point. It's still too early for Lehner, Allen, Gibson and Vasilevskiy to command the #1.

Even next year looks better with Ward, Hiller and Andersen's contracts running out, and a higher possibiliy of young goalies like Lehner making Anderson available and Vasilevskiy making Bishop available.

This is a terrible year to find a goalie.

I'd be shocked if the Oilers could do any better than find another Ben Scrivens, god knows there's always a bounty full of sketchy unproven 1Bs out there. Jones, Tokarski, Raantta, Talbot.

And it'll be a surprise to nobody when such a goaltender fails in our system with our defence. MacT has been quite adament that nothing major will be changing with our defense going into next year, the same defense that's allowed the 2nd most goals in the West. As if a meddling backup can fix that.

Halak was not available. He was extended before UFA status. Miller and Hiller are big names, but overrated. Ramo has arguably played better than Hiller. Miller isn't what he used to be. It seems like there were also more buyers back then. Neuvirth, Ramo, and even Enroth seem much more like up and comers, and if we really want the safe option, we can put an offer in on Niemi.

I don't think Vaselivsky will be available any time soon. He's a cost controlled RFA so it will pay off to keep him as perfect injury insurance for Bishop. I'm not a fan of Anderson or Ward either, simply because of consistency issues (moreso with Ward).

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Get rid of Purcell and Nikitin. Either a team willing to take a chance since they are pending UFA's or a team like Buffalo or Arizona who wants to reach the cap floor but stay bad. They give up next to nothing for them use them to fill roster spots then try and flip them at the deadline as rentals for a small return in assets.

Trade the 3rd overall for a top pairing Dman

Trade for Berglund and Sobotka's rights from STL (be pretty cheap they need cap space and don't really have space for Sobotka)

Sign a UFA Dman (Boychuk, Erhoff, Green, Sekera, Beachemin,Michalek)

Sign Kari Ramo

Poo - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Sobotka - Yak
Berglund - Lander - Pitlick
Klink - Gordon - Hendricks

UFA - Trade
Klef - Schultz
Ferrence - Fayne
Marincin

Scrivens/Ramo

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Halak was not available. He was extended before UFA status. Miller and Hiller are big names, but overrated. Ramo has arguably played better than Hiller. Miller isn't what he used to be. It seems like there were also more buyers back then. Neuvirth, Ramo, and even Enroth seem much more like up and comers, and if we really want the safe option, we can put an offer in on Niemi.

I don't think Vaselivsky will be available any time soon. He's a cost controlled RFA so it will pay off to keep him as perfect injury insurance for Bishop. I'm not a fan of Anderson or Ward either, simply because of consistency issues (moreso with Ward).

Halak was available. He was so available it only took a 4th round pick to get him.

Say what you want about Hiller and Miller, but facts are facts. They're putting up starters numbers.

Aren't you sick of taking a gamble for goalies that seem like they could be up as comers? Enough is enough, get a damn starter already.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Halak was available. He was so available it only took a 4th round pick to get him.

Say what you want about Hiller and Miller, but facts are facts. They're putting up starters numbers.

Aren't you sick of taking a gamble for goalies that seem like they could be up as comers? Enough is enough, get a damn starter already.

I'll concede you are right about Halak, and that we definitely need to get a goalie. It's just difficult because I don't see the big name as necessarily the 'safe' option. A big name could just as easily be the next guy on the decline.

I would like us to get an up and comer with their best hockey ahead of them. That's why I would like us to trade for Bernier if possible, who has a good pedigree and has shown some incredible stretches of play for the Leafs. If not, I think this is a good off season because the goalies available do have some promise. They seem like if they don't work out, they will be signed low enough that they could be our next back up and we could go after another starter the following season if necessary (and walk from Scrivens). Seems like a good time to gamble.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
A good time to gamble?

We just came off back-to-back seasons where we were out of the playoff race after the first month because of weak goaltending as a result of gambling on potential up-and-comers, and you think now is a good time to gamble.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Mac aint going to dump "his" players, so Nikitin and those others are back.

Mac said he need two or three new players to get competitive team. Roy is back and he's overpaying to get Beleskey, Boychuk and Niemi.

Hall - RNH - Eberle
Pouliot - Roy - Yakupov
Beleskey - Lander - Purcell
Hendricks - Gordon - Klink
Pitlick

Ference - Boychuk
Klefbom - Schultz
Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin

Niemi
Scrivens

And without being playoff team he's going to take us against the cap.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm almost positive that Boychuk won't come here. I know he's a local guy and everything, but he's in his early 30s and is going to have offers from almost every team in the league. What do you do in his situation?

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
I'm almost positive that Boychuk won't come here. I know he's a local guy and everything, but he's in his early 30s and is going to have offers from almost every team in the league. What do you do in his situation?

Taking best offer on the table, just like Ference and Mac is stupid enough to overpay him like hell and for too long.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I guess it works in our favour that he's already won the cup, so we can't play the 'needing to play for a chance with a contender' card

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Taking best offer on the table, just like Ference and Mac is stupid enough to overpay him like hell and for too long.

Boychuk and Ference are completely different players. I can't imagine Ference got too many offers close to the one he got from EDM. Boychuk is going to get some pretty sweet offers from everyone.

You are right about Mac though. 8 mil x 8 years for Boychuk. Hall to the Flames for 2 second round picks...

Defsta

Dec 1, 2004
Boychuk and Ference are completely different players. I can't imagine Ference got too many offers close to the one he got from EDM. Boychuk is going to get some pretty sweet offers from everyone.

You are right about Mac though. 8 mil x 8 years for Boychuk. Hall to the Flames for 2 second round picks...

Yeah, that's true that they are completely different players, but my point is that Mac just is stupid enough to give him what he wants to come here. Though I would pay some crazy money too as Boychuk and Green are only grade A UFA RHD's out there and that's what we are badly missing right now.

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
Trade 3rd Overall pick, Purcell and Ference for Phaneuf and Bernier.
Leafs retain a million a year of Dion's salary. Sign Bernier to a 5 year 20 million dollar deal (4 million cap hit)
Sign Boychuk 6 years at a cap hit of 6 million

Pouliot(4) RNH(6) Eberle(6) - 16mil
Hall(6) Draisaitl(.925) Yak(2.5) - 9.425mil
Hendricks; Gordon; Klink - 5.75mil
$1 Lander(.800) $1 - 2.8mil
Spare players - 1.7mil
Total for Forwards 35.45 million

Phaneuf (6) Boychuk (6) - 12
Klefbom (.925) Schultz(4) - 4.925
Nikitin (4.5) Fayne(3.625) - 8.175mil
Marincin(1)
Total for D 26.1 million

Bernier - 4
Scrivens - 2.3
Total for Goalies 6.3 million

Total cap hit - 67.85mil

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Trade 3rd Overall pick, Purcell and Ference for Phaneuf and Bernier.
Leafs retain a million a year of Dion's salary. Sign Bernier to a 5 year 20 million dollar deal (4 million cap hit)
Sign Boychuk 6 years at a cap hit of 6 million

Pouliot(4) RNH(6) Eberle(6) - 16mil
Hall(6) Draisaitl(.925) Yak(2.5) - 9.425mil
Hendricks; Gordon; Klink - 5.75mil
$1 Lander(.800) $1 - 2.8mil
Spare players - 1.7mil
Total for Forwards 35.45 million

Phaneuf (6) Boychuk (6) - 12
Klefbom (.925) Schultz(4) - 4.925
Nikitin (4.5) Fayne(3.625) - 8.175mil
Marincin(1)
Total for D 26.1 million

Bernier - 4
Scrivens - 2.3
Total for Goalies 6.3 million

Total cap hit - 67.85mil

No, not trading the first for Phaneuf and Bernier

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I'm pretty sure if Boychuk lands here it's because he was offered 6x8

....and I'm pretty scared MacT is going to offer that

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
if mact stays as gm--here is the roster for the first game this fall

Hall--Nuge-Eberle
Purcell--Leon-Yak
Pouliot-Gorcdon-Purcell
Iiro Pakarinen-Lander--Rob Klinkhammer

D
Klefbom
Schultz
Nurse
Nikten
Fayne
Ference
Jordan Oesterle

G
Scrivens
Laurent Brossoit

and we finish 28th

If I was GM--I would reset the rebuild and that would mean clearing out the guys who were part of phase one

moves I would make
1) Resign Roy 2y 4mill contract (2 mill year
2) Either buy out Nikiten or find a team to take if we need to eat salery we eat salery to move him for a 7th round pick
3) Sign Boychuck to a 6y 36mill contract (that is what it will take)
4) Tell Nurse and Leon enjoy your time in Bakersfield--you are there for the year
now here is where the fun begins and you guys get mad at me

trade 1-Hall to TB for johnny Drouin, Andrei Vasilevskiy, 2017 first round pick and Ondrej Palat
trade 2-Eberle to boston for Milan Lucic and resign him for money starting 2016
trade 3- Schutz to the leafs for Dion
trade 4--Pitts number 1 to Vancouver for Zack Kassian

these trades do not help us immidiately--but help long term and NO ONE WILL LIKE ANY OF THE TRADES BUT ME--it 430am and I am bored. This is rebuilding the rebuild--

Lines after the retool longterm

2017/2018
Druin-Nuge-Yak
Lucic-Leon-Kassian
Ondrej Palat-Lander-Pitlick
Pouliot-coke machine 1 coke machine 2

D
Klefbom
Nurse
Dion
Marincin
Faryne
Noah Hanifin or Oliver Kylington (I really like this kid)
TBA

Goalies
Scrivens and Vasilevskiy

remember this is a proper reset and are not ment to make us better right away

but attack anyway and have fun

trade 1-Hall to TB for johnny Drouin, Andrei Vasilevskiy, 2017 first round pick and Ondrej Palat
trade 2-Eberle to boston for Milan Lucic and resign him for money starting 2016
trade 3- Schutz to the leafs for Dion
trade 4--Pitts number 1 to Vancouver for Zack Kassian

these trades do not help us immidiately--but help long term and NO ONE WILL LIKE ANY OF THE TRADES BUT ME--it 430am and I am bored. This is rebuilding the rebuild--

Is this you Dallas and how drunk are you? This is why you are not GM

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad