Rumor: Oilers targeting Mike Richards

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just when you think even the Oilers couldn't ruin McDavid and all that they've been gifted. Let's bring in a guy that has had drug issues at the border to mentor the kids.

Its way to easy to get hooked on Pain Killers like Oxy. You should not be too critical.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sick burn.

Kassian has turned his life around.

Kassian likely has a lifelong issue with substance abuse that he will need to monitor.

Kind of hard to say he has turned his life around because he has behaved for 11 months. He hasnt even gone a calendar year.

Give it a little more time before saying he is in the clear. He is absolutely still a liability that needs to be monitored and I would bet ultimately any coach and GM dont want too many of those guys coming out of a substance abuse problem on the same team

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Kassian likely has a lifelong issue with substance abuse that he will need to monitor.

Kind of hard to say he has turned his life around because he has behaved for 11 months. He hasnt even gone a calendar year.

Give it a little more time before saying he is in the clear. He is absolutely still a liability that needs to be monitored and I would bet ultimately any coach and GM dont want too many of those guys coming out of a substance abuse problem on the same team
Fair enough. People close to Kassian say he's in a really good spot and he's worked really hard to get where he is now. I just think it's BS another poster decided to make fun of two guys who have addiction problems.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Fair enough. People close to Kassian say he's in a really good spot and he's worked really hard to get where he is now. I just think it's BS another poster decided to make fun of two guys who have addiction problems.

I wouldn't make light of addiction issues, and I won't here, but, it is an issue when they are around young players. Addictions come in many forms. Injuries, depression, ect. Hockey, like most sports are certainly full of both. I'm probably one of the few who hope Kassian never has to look behind again and has a decent career. Richards probably doesn't have the body anymore, but good luck all the same,

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Any team that needs a decent veteran center should definately be looking at Richards. He will play this year.

Orca Whalers

May 24, 2013
terrible with a capital T. Gotta be a Lowe or Mctavish move but wait isn't Chiarelli the GM??? What's going on...

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
tumblr_mizy6xVMHN1qjpafyo2_250_zpsfba732ea.gif

:laugh: What the hell?

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Still can't be too smart to get addicted . I got bottles of Oxy , Morphine and Hydromorphone . Been on them for years because of a car accident . I am lucky if I take 2 a week and I can take unto 6 a day but knowing they are addictive I will suffer before taking then regularly

Since you experienced something one way everyone else has to be able to do it like you or they're an idiot right? You come off as an extremely ignorant person. When you see someone broke on the street do you just think they're deadbeats? You have no idea the physical or emotional things Richards went through. Richards has to go out and preform and get beat on by other teams players, go to practice, and work out constantly even if he's hurting. So unless your job is like being a professional athlete in a contact sport and it's expected for you to play through pain you shouldn't talk. Even then everyone's different with how they react and how much pain they can take.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Which injury destroyed Richards? It's just so odd for a player to completely fall off the planet like that, he's not even that old.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd be OK with it, he brings a lot of experience and can shoulder some of that part of it with Lucic.

He's better than Lander who brings basically nothing to the table.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Which injury destroyed Richards? It's just so odd for a player to completely fall off the planet like that, he's not even that old.

Not sure, but depending on how long he was abusing opiates, that could be a big part of him falling off the face of the earth.

McDavidbowie

Mar 2, 2016
Richards won't come to Edmonton. If he gets a PTO from a better team he will go there.

This isn't the first time the Oilers pursued him and he went to Washington.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Its way to easy to get hooked on Pain Killers like Oxy. You should not be too critical.

True.

Probably pretty hard to get off them too.

Does anyone know, in general terms, the likelihood of a relapse for someone addicted to these drugs?

I'd bet that the violence and pressure of pro-hockey s not conducive to a clean, healthy lifestyle either.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Guy was a warrior and I'll always remember it but he's done. He'll hang around for a year but he's gonna have to go to Europe if he wants to continue.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Most of you dont seem to understand that progression or regression isnt linear.

If Richie has his head in the game and is training like NHL player is supposed to train he can be much more effective than what he has been these past few years. He is not that old that his physique is all gone. Expecially his skating could be much better than it has been after the pill case.

20+ points and important pk role is possible for Richie who is mentally back in the game

People have been saying this with Richards for YEARS at this point, it's time to move on from this line of thinking. The mind is still there, but the body is gone. At this point he's an above average PK'er and an offensive black hole that will drag down others offensively. I love Richie, but that's the way it is

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
People have been saying this with Richards for YEARS at this point, it's time to move on from this line of thinking. The mind is still there, but the body is gone. At this point he's an above average PK'er and an offensive black hole that will drag down others offensively. I love Richie, but that's the way it is

It definitely catches up to you over time. If all of a sudden the light bulb went off then MAYBE that may change, chances are that at 31 what you see is what you get with him.

Mar 14, 2015
This can be a good move, he's not his oldself but he can still be useful, give some more competition and he was very good on the pk for the caps.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
This can be a good move, he's not his oldself but he can still be useful, give some more competition and he was very good on the pk for the caps.

By the sounds of things adding Richards at bare minimum would improve our PK, Larsson's addition should also bolster our PK quite a bit.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Man it really pains me to say it as Richie was one of my favourite players for a while, but after seeing him often with the Caps last year - he is done. His skating is hard on the eyes and his shot is horrific (not that it was ever his best attribute). Can't finish to save his life. Maybe you can get away with using him on the 4th line and in pk situations, but other than that...

With McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl down the middle I don't see an issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad