Rumor: Oilers targeting Mike Richards

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Is the Oilers "targeting" Richards on a PTO really a huge story? McDavid, RNH, and Draisaitl may all miss portions of training camp depending on how they fare in the World Cup so it has been mentioned previously that the Oilers may bring in another center to create competition between him, Letestu, Lander, and any other center trying to break into the NHL.

I think the biggest takeaway from this story is that the Oilers may use Draisaitl at RW in the top-6, which pretty much means Yakupov will not get another shot at a top-6 role and Puljujarvi will either start in the bottom-6 or AHL. That also means that Letestu may be playing above his abilities in the 3rd line center role (unless Lander has a huge comeback year), which will be disappointing to many Oilers fans.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Oilers have McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl all at the World Cup so inviting a center to camp makes sense no matter who it is.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I don't see why people are so quick to throw this guy under the bus because it's not like he was out smoking crack at the no-tell-motel. He got addicted to pain killers stemming from injuries.
He didn't have a camp last year and admittedly ran out of gas at the end of the season. He's not a top 6 player anymore but Richards led all Caps forwards in PK TOI and they had a damn good unit

mattgkg

Jan 16, 2015
they should sign him just so chiarelli can show mcdavid every day how fast you can go from the top to rock bottom if you let yourself start to slide.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I would love to see Richards in EDM... he was still somewhat solid last year for a 4th liner/PK specailist

some leadership is welcome at this point in EDM

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Good 4th line center, brings Cup experience, can play on PK.

Wouldn't be a bad move by the Oilers.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Man it really pains me to say it as Richie was one of my favourite players for a while, but after seeing him often with the Caps last year - he is done. His skating is hard on the eyes and his shot is horrific (not that it was ever his best attribute). Can't finish to save his life. Maybe you can get away with using him on the 4th line and in pk situations, but other than that...

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
There are only a few teams where Richards would be a good fit, Edmonton is definitely one of them.

Smart move if you ask me.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
He's not a caps fan. He was great in some areas. Disappointing in others. Amazing PK guy and he's a winner. If you expect him to put up even 15 points you'll be let down
He's apparently working hard all summer and with a full camp could be a 20+ point 4c

I see what you did there. Not sure anyone else did tho
I did. The two other similar posts were deleted because well, its just not funny and in poor taste

Countrygirl

Aug 31, 2016
If he gets a PTO and does well with it how much do you think he'd sign for? 1 million? or maybe under?

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He can't be any worse than Lander.

The Oilers (and Flames) were in discussions with the Kings at the 2015 draft about Richards before Lombardi learned of the border incident.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
I would love to see Richards in EDM... he was still somewhat solid last year for a 4th liner/PK specailist

some leadership is welcome at this point in EDM

then with Gryba healthy, we are one trade away from acquiring enough competition for the top 4,5,6,7 spots in our d-core. Does Reinhart stand a chance???? Stay tuned!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad