Rumor: Oilers talking to Kris Russell

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
And that's one of the softest defense in the league and that's why Nurse will be on the roster opening night
You mean thats why we'll see Gryba on opening night

Kelfbom - Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba
and one of Osterle, Fraser, or even Benning

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
So if he doesn't sign today is this rumor dead? Seems like it would have happened fairly quick.

I also saw a story yesterday that there are 2-3 other teams making an offer. Maybe the Oilers rumor was thrown out there to bring in some others?

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So if he doesn't sign today is this rumor dead? Seems like it would have happened fairly quick.

I also saw a story yesterday that there are 2-3 other teams making an offer. Maybe the Oilers rumor was thrown out there to bring in some others?

I'm guessing he's waiting to see if he can get more than a 1 year deal

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I think he truly wants to be in Calgary. Might have been a play by his agent to try to get the Flames to make an offer. Kind of an "if you don't sign Russell, he's going to your rival" kind of ploy.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Agreed. Larsson is a good #1. I do think Lucic will decline a bit in his early 30's due to his playstyle, but who knows. Either way, it was a good signing for the Oilers.

I find this "Lucic will decline because of his playstyle" to be a bit foolish. The guy is probably the most physically fit player on the team..takes care of his body very well. Jerome Iginla didn't decline until he was about 37..even then he scored 29 goals and played just as reckless as Lucic with a smaller frame.

I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer until hes 37 though..but I can see him being a fairly productive player until his mid-30's playing along side McDavid.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I find this "Lucic will decline because of his playstyle" to be a bit foolish. The guy is probably the most physically fit player on the team..takes care of his body very well. Jerome Iginla didn't decline until he was about 37..even then he scored 29 goals and played just as reckless as Lucic with a smaller frame.

I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer until hes 37 though..but I can see him being a fairly productive player until his mid-30's playing along side McDavid.

Yep, there have been a lot of power forwards who had long, effective careers. Iginla, Keith Tkachuk, Brendan Shanahan, John Leclair, Clark Gillies, Mark Messier.

People remember Lindros, Neely and Wendel Clark and cry "oh, power forwards bodies break down". Neglecting to remember that Lindros' injury wasn't because he was a power forward, and Neely's was accelerated by an open ice knee on knee, something any player can take.

The only power forward that I can think of who you can honestly say had his body break down on him in his prime due to playing the physical "power forward" playing style was Wendel Clark.

Even currently you can look at older power forwards currently in the NHL whose bodies aren't really breaking down - Perry, Hartnell, Doan, Getzlaf.

UnicornONtheCOBB

Jun 29, 2016
As much as Edmonton could use more depth on D, Russel is just a poor fit. He's a LHD, he's not a PP guy, and he's not gonna be cheap either. I gotta believe that there's a better fit out there.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As much as Edmonton could use more depth on D, Russel is just a poor fit. He's a LHD, he's not a PP guy, and he's not gonna be cheap either. I gotta believe that there's a better fit out there.

I think that's why Gryba got the PTO. He's a right handed shot, is big and physical, and last year he showed that he could make the smart play to get the puck out. By no means is he a puck mover or a powerplay guy, but he isn't as dangerous to have out there as a lot of other physical bottom pair defensemen who handle the puck like a grenade, many of whom we have seen on our own team over the years.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Russell isn't terrible (based on the month I saw him on the Stars) and some team will take him. I wouldn't because holding out for $5M when the league clearly thinks you are worth half that probably indicates an attitude problem most teams won't want in their room.

KR would have to be more than okay with a "show me" agreement now, for most GM's to sign him, but there is little to show that he won't be more than a bit resentful. I could be wrong. Actually makes me kind of wonder if Nil simply traded for him to tweak Vancouver? I mean, he did come in handy for depth, but at a pretty high price, definitely an over payment. I know the Stars won't touch him, for a variety of reasons.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I think he truly wants to be in Calgary. Might have been a play by his agent to try to get the Flames to make an offer. Kind of an "if you don't sign Russell, he's going to your rival" kind of ploy.

I think Calgary wants him back as well but we have no room to sign him.

Someone took a picture of him, Brodie, and Giordano all out for breakfast yesterday.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Russell isn't terrible (based on the month I saw him on the Stars) and some team will take him. I wouldn't because holding out for $5M when the league clearly thinks you are worth half that probably indicates an attitude problem most teams won't want in their room.

KR would have to be more than okay with a "show me" agreement now, for most GM's to sign him, but there is little to show that he won't be more than a bit resentful. I could be wrong. Actually makes me kind of wonder if Nil simply traded for him to tweak Vancouver? I mean, he did come in handy for depth, but at a pretty high price, definitely an over payment. I know the Stars won't touch him, for a variety of reasons.

I think it's silly to point to an attitude problem when there's never been any indication of that. I could be wrong, but I've never heard any mention of such a thing.

The guy took the advice of his agent and held out for a big deal he didn't get in a UFA year. It happens. Then he waited for teams to clear cap. Still hasn't gotten a deal yet, but there's supposedly offers out there.

He's an undersized d-man that plays a defensive game. Not too many teams are clamoring for that kind of guy, never mind one that is looking for a payday for a second or third pairing role. Russell just took a gamble that didn't pay off. Simple as that, I think.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
Surprised Russell hasn't signed somewhere yet.
He's absolutely an NHL level player and there are teams with which he would be a considerable addition to their blueline.
I wonder what dollar amount turns everybody off? Has to be higher than 3 I would imagine.

JarvisFunk

Apr 1, 2012
Saskatoon
You mean thats why we'll see Gryba on opening night

Kelfbom - Larsson
Sekera-Fayne
Davidson-Gryba
and one of Osterle, Fraser, or even Benning

Youre gonna pencil in Benning and Fraser ahead of Nurse? Thats just idiotic, Id love to hear the reasoning.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
Pretty simple, currently Nurse isn't good enough to play in the NHL and would be better served in the minors then in the pressbox...

I agree with Nurse being in the AHL. Benning looks good but I think he is best served in the AHL as well.

Klefbom-larssen
Sekera - Fayne
Russell?/Davidson-Davidson/Gryba

Reinhart(showed promise at the end of the year)
Nurse
Benning

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Youre gonna pencil in Benning and Fraser ahead of Nurse? Thats just idiotic, Id love to hear the reasoning.
Only idiotic if you didn't watch him at all last year and know that he was in way over his head even on the third pairing. Also any idiot can't interpret the fancy stats and come to the same conclusion

So yes, I'd rather have Benning or Fraser wasting away in the PB over Nurse since they didn't cost the Oilers anything to acquire and don't have the upside of Nurse. I'm hoping Chiarelli will have the depth to stop throwing these kids to the wolves when injuries arise

Pretty simple, currently Nurse isn't good enough to play in the NHL and would be better served in the minors then in the pressbox...
Thank you

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think it's silly to point to an attitude problem when there's never been any indication of that. I could be wrong, but I've never heard any mention of such a thing.

The guy took the advice of his agent and held out for a big deal he didn't get in a UFA year. It happens. Then he waited for teams to clear cap. Still hasn't gotten a deal yet, but there's supposedly offers out there.

He's an undersized d-man that plays a defensive game. Not too many teams are clamoring for that kind of guy, never mind one that is looking for a payday for a second or third pairing role. Russell just took a gamble that didn't pay off. Simple as that, I think.

Well, its true that he played a very inspirational game while with the Stars in many respects. They said his shot blocking led to an increase in others shot blocking, so its a mix of good and bad in his game. His on ice attitude wasn't questioned in the short time he was here. Its just that the Stars have just lost Val because he wanted way more money than his stats and play showed he deserved, and at least they will not want another guy back with that same attitude. Other GM's might vary.

I agree with you that somehow he really mis-valued his services. You and he can say he left it to his agent, but with camp opening, a lot of players have publicly caved and said, "I just want to play." I haven't heard anything but the hard money line out of his camp, albeit, not a lot has really been said in public.

He has put himself in a bind in that only teams that really need D would even talk to him seriously, and EDM does seem one of the logical places left for him to go.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Have to think that this rumour is dead no? With Versteeg and Gryba both on PTO's they could both make this roster and that would put us up against the contract limit and close to the cap.

I'm fine with a D going into the season of:
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Davidson - Gryba
Musil

Musil may end up being the 7th guy as he will require waivers to be sent to the AHL and has shown enough promise to get a little look in the NHL. And it keeps Nurse and Reinhart playing bigger minutes developing their games in the AHL at least.

We could see a trade at some stage coming up though.

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Have to think that this rumour is dead no? With Versteeg and Gryba both on PTO's they could both make this roster and that would put us up against the contract limit and close to the cap.

I'm fine with a D going into the season of:
Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Fayne
Davidson - Gryba
Musil

Musil may end up being the 7th guy as he will require waivers to be sent to the AHL and has shown enough promise to get a little look in the NHL. And it keeps Nurse and Reinhart playing bigger minutes developing their games in the AHL at least.

We could see a trade at some stage coming up though.

I can get onboard with this. I do hope Musil gets a proper look before getting sent down. I wouldn't be surprised if the play of Fayne dictates if Gryba gets a contract.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
What "terrible" things has he done in Edmonton?
Probably too soon but the return he got for Hall looks pretty bad from the outside. Not so sure most fans are happy with Sekera making $5.5m for 6 years either.

Boston fans will simply tell you to have patience as you will hate him soon enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad