Post-Game Talk: Oilers survive a scare, make up for Steve Smith 35 years ago

How surprised are you that the Oilers pulled it out tonight?

• Total voters

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Yeah, while I find myself hating Pulju a lot, he plays a decent rolish part. Which is just odd, I can't quite put my finger on it. Like he makes his mistakes as does everyone, but there's a good portion of plays that just make you go Hmm. I like him, and am cheering for him to succeed as we've all seen what he can do when he has some confidence. Keep rolling as we're rolling.

I don't know, all of those teams are really good teams. Florida was one of the best offensive teams in the league, and Caro just can't seem to win on the road in the playoffs. ( haven't lost a game at home yet though). Granted I'm not as invested in hockey outside of the Oil anymore, so I didn't get to watch many other teams unless they were playing us. But I wouldn't like to face any of them in a series this year. I didn't expect what we're seeing in this Calgary series and save for a few things that went our way (I'll say it out of hard effing work from our team, mostly Hyman) this series is completely different. Flames look unanswerable in the first game and a half of this series, and I wouldn't ever consider them a trap team. Just my two cents here.

This is such a terrible take. Archie has done exactly what he's been put out to do. That fourth line has been unreal this whole playoffs and I dare say this series wouldn't be where it's at without Kass and Arch. We were getting our asses handed to us because we weren't hitting. The whole Flames game was to come in and hit our D. When we started doing that to them, we finally got back in to our rhythm. I'll say it, no one was hitting in the first game from the Oil, but once we started doing that, the series completely turned around in our favor.
Archie is getting caved regularly in possession and shot metrics. He is the worst on the team, and we'd be better served by having someone that can hit AND move the puck in the right direction.

Last edited:

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
St. Louis won! May they go to game seven overtime and then go about six rounds of overtime with maximum attrition...

When I'm saying the Oilers were "lucky" to win game four, I'm aware that they had a few more high-quality chances and put in a good effort, but I'm specifically thinking of:
-- Markstrom gift for the 1-0
-- Deflection for the 3-0
-- Blown 3-0 lead to 3-3
-- Goalie lets in a 132-foot shot
-- Flames with more shots and more won face-offs

It was a pretty even game overall, but when you blow a 3-0 lead and your goalie lets in a 132-footer and you are out-shot, it's somewhat fortunate to win.
More shots and more face-offs won doesn't mean Calgary should have won. Look at where those shots came from...oh wait, you didn't even watch the game.

Reactions: bellagiobob

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Does Smid live in Edmonton now? There’s a tweet of him getting a truck from Sherwood Ford. If so, I’m surprised to see a European stay in North America after their career, and in Edmonton of all places. Nice to see though as Edmonton is an underrated city.
Pretty sure he said he lives in Dallas still on Oilers Now recently

Edit: Wait NVM. That was Hemsky.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
You're out to lunch. And Woody confirmed it. That Nuge/Hyman duo was all over the puck. JP was doing nothing but wrapping it around the boards all game. He stood still in a scrum, not waving his stick nor a single body movement to win a puck, or lean his body in.

He skated back abandoning a couple forechecks, one on which he was almost at center while CGY broke out of their own end and STILL they ended up w/ a 3 on 2. he also got walked several times in his own zone

The goahead goal came from him being subbed by Yamo and Yams did the obvious and actually went low to support the forecheck and muscled his way out.

Woody demoted JP, and it paid off the very next shift. So wtf are you talking about?

Isn't on the PK, isn't on the ice during a pulled goalie, has had his minutes reduced all playoffs, and was demoted again today...but you claim he is the BEST OILER at defending and creating ice. The best players that you describe don't play 7min a nite. Get realz. When the team is down, his minutes are cut. When the team is leading, you would logically have see that supporting your claims, he is played more to help defend...but he isn't. Hasn't been all season, not once in any scenario. So how is he this dynanite defensive plater when NO coach has EVER used him in that capacity?
Lol- you’re drunk. Go check his underlying metrics

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What a rude preface to this comment.

What hits like Archie and Kass do is make the opposing defencemen move the puck quickly, when that happens it leads to turnovers. It's been quite noticeable unless you haven't been "watching the game". They're also quite infectious, as once a few guys lay some good hits the rest of the team follows suit. Woody's been trotting his line out consistently as this series has gone on, I guess they must not be watching the game either.

Not sure if you've checked, but 7 guys on the team are currently dash players right now with McLeod being the worst on the team. I guess they're all useless as well.

I was referring to some of JPs plays being oddly good. But he also only has 2 points in 11 games primarily on scoring lines. The guy was a literal hazard playing on Connor's line early in the playoffs. But be my guest and keep watching the game instead of the puck.
Lol- you know there are metrics that measure how easily a team exits the zone when players on the ice right? No, defensemen don’t rush the play when those two are on the ice. In fact, pucks get moved more efficiently and the ice is tilted in the oppositions favour.

I’m about talking about +/— I’m talking about gf% along with xGF and possession numbers. McLeod and Archibald are not the same numbers…hahaha. McLeod plays in all situations and against much tougher competition. He is also on the ice way more and generates way more. What a terrible analogy

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
See? Make another excuse for him...

Woodcroft...
iu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad