Pre-Game Talk: Oilers stars oct 26 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't mind Letustu there. He has shown time and time again that he is a reliable player that is trusted and knows his role.

Not his fault that no one else has stepped up and taken that spot.

Reactions: Juxta Position

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would guess 7-2 Oilers but it's Bishop, not Lehtonen/Niemi. Thinking 4-0 Stars

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If you can't bust out goals against the Dallas Stars who you gonna call?

Weird lines, granted, but evidence of the incomplete lineup that Chia left us with this year.

I mean we got guys like Khaira in the lineup. That should be an injury only call up if you can't find anybody considerably better. Cagg has been a big bag of nothing. I see that he's giving Strome at Center a chance here but probably lasts for a few minutes.. not much of a chance considering he has Cagg on wing.

Letestu on 2nd line seems a natural indication that the line needs more help in a shutdown capacity. But also odd as Chia got Jokinen, and maybe even Strome to see if they could help with that. Do we got a GM vs Coach disconnect already. I would say McLellan already scratching Jokinen and Strome is indication of that.

I must've missed it but the good news is Yamamoto must have been sent down. its better development for him that way.

But my lord, Khaira a starter in an NHL lineup. Indication your GM was asleep during the summer and didn't bother to find a few extra NHL players.
Bishop is doing quite well so I wouldn't assume that we should have a lot of goals tonight.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If you can't bust out goals against the Dallas Stars who you gonna call?

Weird lines, granted, but evidence of the incomplete lineup that Chia left us with this year.

I mean we got guys like Khaira in the lineup. That should be an injury only call up if you can't find anybody considerably better. Cagg has been a big bag of nothing. I see that he's giving Strome at Center a chance here but probably lasts for a few minutes.. not much of a chance considering he has Cagg on wing.

Letestu on 2nd line seems a natural indication that the line needs more help in a shutdown capacity. But also odd as Chia got Jokinen, and maybe even Strome to see if they could help with that. Do we got a GM vs Coach disconnect already. I would say McLellan already scratching Jokinen and Strome is indication of that.

I must've missed it but the good news is Yamamoto must have been sent down. its better development for him that way.

But my lord, Khaira a starter in an NHL lineup. Indication your GM was asleep during the summer and didn't bother to find a few extra NHL players.
Malone should be up instead of Khaira. No question

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So we've got our #2 C and our #4C as top 6 RWers going into the game tonight. Message from McLellan to Chiarelli that the player group he's given him isn't cutting it?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So we've got our #2 C and our #4C as top 6 RWers going into the game tonight. Message from McLellan to Chiarelli that the player group he's given him isn't cutting it?
I really don't think a message needs to be sent at all. I'd be shocked if they haven't had discussions. It's probably more along the lines that TM has to do what he has to right now as you can't just snap your fingers and find a fit.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I do however wonder why not try Letustu on top line. Neither LD or McDavid are winning draws this year. Put Letustu on draw and see if PP chemistry is there.

I did want to see Leon and KY just to see if KY can play with others. Although if he's out tonight it doesn't really matter.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Leon/Drai back together and RNH/Lucic are being propped up as a shutdown line with the addition of Letestu. Wish I could say I called it in the Penguins post game thread, but you don't credit for predicting the sun will rise in the east every morning.

Mclellen just might be the most predictable and inflexible coach in the NHL, and that's not a good thing.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Why hadn't McClellan tried drai on nuge's wing, might atleast get a second line capable of scoring

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I do however wonder why not try Letustu on top line. Neither LD or McDavid are winning draws this year. Put Letustu on draw and see if PP chemistry is there.

I did want to see Leon and KY just to see if KY can play with others. Although if he's out tonight it doesn't really matter.

This would also be game #9 for Yamamoto if he dressed so I'm assuming maybe that is why he is not in the lineup. They have a decision to make here very shortly with him as he's played in eight games now; I'm presuming Chiarelli is giving Letestu a shot at #2 RW to see if that line combo can find some chemistry and as well through the rest of the bottom 6. I'm also presuming (hopefully) trade options before giving Mclellan the proverbial "thumbs up" to burn a year off his ELC and dress him for game #9.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Letestu on the 2nd line is absolutely laughable. Clownshoes coaching.

Maroon-McDavid-Cagguila
Lucic-Draisaitl-RNH

Boom, 2 scoring lines. What's so hard about that?
Cagguila looked pretty good with McDavid late in the season and in the 2nd round last season. McDavid just needs a speedy player who can create chaos around the net.
I don't want to hear that Mclellan has nothing to work with. He can make the lines more formidable if he really wants to but it's all about playing it "safe" with him. Safe players, turn everybody into a grinder.

Watch Letestu score an even strength goal or two tonight.

KickHimPedro

Dec 10, 2011
This is something I don’t understand either. Seems like too simple a fix. There’s no way a line of Lucic/Nuge/Drai doesn’t produce.

Last game Letestu looked really good in the first period playing on Drai’s wing. Immediately they got broken up and he was moved up to McDavid’s wing. It didn’t work and Later Drai was moved up to McDavid’s wing. Why not leave leave Drai and Letestu together when they’re generating chances?

Anytime someone not named McDavid is playing well, they should be left alone. No need to force guys onto his line. He can generate on his own.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Or he's just too stubborn or dumb to spread out the talent. All this time and he hasn't even tried Nuge on the top line or atleast with Drai. This game is going to be the repeat of the first couple games top line getting opportunities while the rest of the lines get worked all game long. Why would you make the 2nd line so damn slow? Especially when the players making up that line only dump and chase all game it doesn't make sense to me.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is something I don’t understand either. Seems like too simple a fix. There’s no way a line of Lucic/Nuge/Drai doesn’t produce.

Last game Letestu looked really good in the first period playing on Drai’s wing. Immediately they got broken up and he was moved up to McDavid’s wing. It didn’t work and Later Drai was moved up to McDavid’s wing. Why not leave leave Drai and Letestu together when they’re generating chances?

Anytime someone not named McDavid is playing well, they should be left alone. No need to force guys onto his line. He can generate on his own.
That seems to be Todd's way. Yak played good with McDavid. Back to the 4th line. Pulju played good, back to the 4th line. Cagguila looked good, back to the third line. Unless it's Draisaitl he refuses to try it more than a bit.

We have zero depth scoring so he loads up the top line and makes a third line and 2 4th lines.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Or he's just too stubborn or dumb to spread out the talent. All this time and he hasn't even tried Nuge on the top line or atleast with Drai. This game is going to be the repeat of the first couple games top line getting opportunities while the rest of the lines get worked all game long. Why would you make the 2nd line so damn slow? Especially when the players making up that line only dump and chase all game it doesn't make sense to me.
He doesn't try things very often and when he does and it sees good play, if they don't score in a period he breaks it up.

Yet he is willing to reward Lucic good play with 3on3 time with no matter how good Lucic is in a game, he doesn't have the speed to play 3on3.

He also has straight up said before he doesn't line match so our he advantage is often nullified too. I don't get what his deal is.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't care too much about what TM does with lines, but for the love of god McDavid should be starting every period. I don't care what the score is or who his linemates are. You start with the most dynamic player in the league on the ice to start a period. Should also be there damn near everytime after a TV timeout as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad