Oilers Skills Competition

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
I thought that first post about Drai winning fastest skater was a joke.

Me too. Like "Ryan Smyth wins hardest shot competition!"

Here's this year's results:

Team Blue:

Arcobello (14.949)
Draisaitl (14.537)
Hall (14.617)

Team White:

Pitlick (14.772)
Klefbom (14.583)
Pinizzotto (15.035)

And here's last year's results:

Team Blue:

Yakupov (14.976)
Marincin (14.133)
Hall (13.986)

Team White:

Jones (14.383)
Larsen (14.555)
Eberle (14.862)

So yeah, Hall was really dogging it this year. 0.6 seconds slower doesn't sound like a lot, but at these speeds it's a lot. Like when year's Hall was crossing the finish line at center ice, this year's Hall would still be somewhere back around the goal line.

4EDM14OIL93

Jan 12, 2011
Me too. Like "Ryan Smyth wins hardest shot competition!"

Here's this year's results:

And here's last year's results:

So yeah, Hall was really dogging it this year. 0.6 seconds slower doesn't sound like a lot, but at these speeds it's a lot. Like when year's Hall was crossing the finish line at center ice, this year's Hall would still be somewhere back around the goal line.

Not sure if serious..

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Went to this today as the wife bought tickets for me and the kids. A few obseravtions:

Most players looked disinterested with the exception of Ference, Scrivens, RNH, Perron & Yak. Gordon looked like someone crapped in his mouth before this event.

As I took time to look at the names on the ice, they are truly lacking on NHL caliber players.

It was a fun event for the fans (kids). Overall though, the players didn't seem to be enjoying it or engaging with the fans, with the exception of Yak. He was signing auto's and seemed to be having fun. Hall for one looked like this was a big inconvenience for him to be at this. Which reinforced my opinion that he is the cancer in the room.

Anyways, it was a fun few hours and hopefully the guys bonded a bit in a relaxed event and will come out a bit looser and play with more passion next game.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
I had more fun watching the skills competition (until the 3v3) then I have had watching the games recently.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Went to this today as the wife bought tickets for me and the kids. A few obseravtions:

Most players looked disinterested with the exception of Ference, Scrivens, RNH, Perron & Yak. Gordon looked like someone crapped in his mouth before this event.

As I took time to look at the names on the ice, they are truly lacking on NHL caliber players.

It was a fun event for the fans (kids). Overall though, the players didn't seem to be enjoying it or engaging with the fans, with the exception of Yak. He was signing auto's and seemed to be having fun. Hall for one looked like this was a big inconvenience for him to be at this. Which reinforced my opinion that he is the cancer in the room.

Anyways, it was a fun few hours and hopefully the guys bonded a bit in a relaxed event and will come out a bit looser and play with more passion next game.

Unbelievable. Doesnt he have an agent TELLING him how to act like a big boy? Zero leadership.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
If hes been keeping an ear/eye on the fans and media, i wouldn't blame him for being disinterested.

Speaks for his character. Volumes. When you cant step up for kids at a skills competition thats pathetic. Go home to your XBox Taylor. Time for a trade.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

So a skills competition warrants enough to say he's the supposed cancer in the room? Anybody can claim any player in that room is a cancer, and we'll never know. Yet Jason Strudwick said at first he thought Hall was a cocky kid, but then changed his opinion that Hall was more of a reserved guy. That whenever somebody gave him advice, he listened. Take it from a guy who's an actual teammate along with being in the actual room. Better than a judgement based on a meaningless skill competition where even Draisaitl was the "fastest skater." Yawn.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
So a skills competition warrants enough to say he's the supposed cancer in the room? Anybody can claim any player in that room is a cancer, and we'll never know. Yet Jason Strudwick said at first he thought Hall was a cocky kid, but then changed his opinion that Hall was more of a reserved guy. That whenever somebody gave him advice, he listened. Take it from a guy who's an actual teammate along with being in the actual room. Better than a judgement based on a meaningless skill competition where even Draisaitl was the "fastest skater." Yawn.

Your handle says all I need to know about your perspective on things.

You can tell a lot about a persons character when you see them in a relaxed, "more themself" type of setting. I wasn't impressed with Hall today is all I am saying, and with all the other things that we've been hearing, it is my opinion that this team is fractured and that Hall is a big part of it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Your handle says all I need to know about your perspective on things.

You can tell a lot about a persons character when you see them in a relaxed, "more themself" type of setting. I wasn't impressed with Hall today is all I am saying, and with all the other things that we've been hearing, it is my opinion that this team is fractured and that Hall is a big part of it.

Please don't use my username as a reason why I'm defending Hall. I saw a guy post about how Ference had a bad attitude, and snubbed his kid who wanted an autograph at the competition. While Nuge happily gave the kid an autograph. Does that mean Ference is a cancer in the room as well? Good god, if you want any thing that starts with cancer, you can blame it on the losing culture and that arrogant idiot in 6 rings. Since you mentioned bad attitudes at the competition, I guess those same ones are just as cancerous as hall is, right?

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
Please don't use my username as a reason why I'm defending Hall. I saw a guy post about how Ference had a bad attitude, and snubbed his kid who wanted an autograph at the competition. While Nuge happily gave the kid an autograph. Does that mean Ference is a cancer in the room as well? Good god, if you want any thing that starts with cancer, you can blame it on the losing culture and that arrogant idiot in 6 rings. Since you mentioned bad attitudes at the competition, I guess those same ones are just as cancerous as hall is, right?

If Ference snubbed a kid on a night for kids, id tell him to go F himself too. These ego fuelled athletes who are part of the worst team in the NHL need to realize that being something for kids is part of the deal. That is since they arent holding up to the on ice end of the bargain, least they could do is take 15 seconds and make a kids day.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008

I can't speak to any others in the room, I am only saying that seeing after Hall's attitude today, in conjunction with what many others have discussed here and many media types have mentioned, I personally believe that his attitude is an issue in the room.

Did you see something different from his body language today?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
If Ference snubbed a kid on a night for kids, id tell him to go F himself too. These ego fuelled athletes who are part of the worst team in the NHL need to realize that being something for kids is part of the deal. That is since they arent holding up to the on ice end of the bargain, least they could do is take 15 seconds and make a kids day.

If they don't care on ice, why would they care about the damn kids? If our owner was as upset as MacT said he would, why isn't he addressing the media? Like Jim Matheson is wondering where the owner is? Only time you ever see Katz with the word active was when it came to the arena. Guy's so upset about the team losing, yet he continues to dish out his annual apology letters and hides in Vancouver. Lowe has been the poster boy for years, while others has been fired, his job has been the definition of job security. Like Cogs stating that there was a losing culture during his time here, there's no doubt in my mind that the losing culture remains. And I blame majority of it on the idiots who run this team, and players who only give a damn about the cheque they get.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I can't speak to any others in the room, I am only saying that seeing after Hall's attitude today, in conjunction with what many others have discussed here and many media types have mentioned, I personally believe that his attitude is an issue in the room.

Did you see something different from his body language today?

Lol, you mean Dreger? That moron sprews crap every time. Wasn't Perron supposed to be traded by now in his words? Kadri is supposed to be traded all the time. Leafs are always in every speculation of a top UFA from him. Could care less what the media says. Don Cherry's a known moron in the media, and even blasted Yakupov for a 3rd consecutive time. I don't think I'll be all happy and proud and joy, if I was in Hall's shoes. The moment he's been drafted here has been all losing. Also, why would Strudwick and even Eakins say things otherwise about Hall in the room? Why would Hall be the only one who stuck up for Eakins to Mac T face to face? Now I dislike Eakins, but the fact that Hall was the one who did it, and nobody else, not even the captain of this team speaks volume. Hall's far from the cancer. Losing is the cancer, and will continue, until the management is completely cleaned out.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
One thing did shock me a little...

Nikitin doesn't know how to speak english? Yakapov had to translate... wtf ...

Other than that ...
Lol, at Ryan Rishaug telling Ben to stay in net when he goes to handle it.
and Leon shows he can skate (still an awkward skater though)

Ogopogo*

Forgot to mention...I thought it was fitting that Petry won the giveaway relay this afternoon.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
One thing did shock me a little...

Nikitin doesn't know how to speak english? Yakapov had to translate... wtf ...

Other than that ...
Lol, at Ryan Rishaug telling Ben to stay in net when he goes to handle it.
and Leon shows he can skate (still an awkward skater though)

Nikitin can speak English - there's a vid I saw from last year on the Blue Jackets site. Probably just hesitant.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

I'LL put it simply as possible.

Kids are the only reason pro sports exist. Period. The concept of being a pro athlete and affinity for pro sports is born among kids and largely in response to seeing hero's.

This is the way in which the pro sports flame gets passed on. Everybody knows this.

If you can't smile, look enthused, be involved, as an entertainer, in a skills competition with all the young eyes watching something is seriously wrong with you. Such a player would have entirely forgotten the script, why they are here, what they are doing, etc. That Yak was the foremost entertainer and most involved in signing autographs, interacting, etc, doesn't surprise me one iota.

That Hall was said to be indifferent is disappointing.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If they don't care on ice, why would they care about the damn kids? If our owner was as upset as MacT said he would, why isn't he addressing the media? Like Jim Matheson is wondering where the owner is? Only time you ever see Katz with the word active was when it came to the arena. Guy's so upset about the team losing, yet he continues to dish out his annual apology letters and hides in Vancouver. Lowe has been the poster boy for years, while others has been fired, his job has been the definition of job security. Like Cogs stating that there was a losing culture during his time here, there's no doubt in my mind that the losing culture remains. And I blame majority of it on the idiots who run this team, and players who only give a damn about the cheque they get.

Really? This stated 3 days after Christmas in any related syntax is sad.

Kids are the only thing that matter in any society. We should never forget that.

Maybe I read too much into that but please choose a different expression.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I'LL put it simply as possible.

Kids are the only reason pro sports exist. Period. The concept of being a pro athlete and affinity for pro sports is born among kids and largely in response to seeing hero's.

This is the way in which the pro sports flame gets passed on. Everybody knows this.

If you can't smile, look enthused, be involved, as an entertainer, in a skills competition with all the young eyes watching something is seriously wrong with you. Such a player would have entirely forgotten the script, why they are here, what they are doing, etc. That Yak was the foremost entertainer and most involved in signing autographs, interacting, etc, doesn't surprise me one iota.

That Hall was said to be indifferent is disappointing.

I've seen your posts when it came to Hall, so I won't bother arguing. I know what you think of him in general, but you have your opinion and I have mine. I'm a fan of Yak, and I knew he's the type of guy to interact and stuff, but you still see him getting ripped apart by fans and media alike.

davidsitar

Apr 12, 2011
I watched and I think this is being overblown regarding Hall, yes Yak seemed more cheery and happy towards the kids but thats more his personality and I saw Hall crack some smiles as well.

I do however think the losing is really getting to Hall this year, I think for the first time he is even doubting his own playing ability.. he will get his mojo back eventually.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I watched and I think this is being overblown regarding Hall, yes Yak seemed more cheery and happy towards the kids but thats more his personality and I saw Hall crack some smiles as well.

I do however think the losing is really getting to Hall this year, I think for the first time he is even doubting his own playing ability.. he will get his mojo back eventually.

Exactly my point. The skills competition is just overblowing specific players on whether not they're a "cancer" based on them choosing to interact or not. I've met plenty of the oilers off the ice. Met Hall at WEM, and he's a pretty chilled guy. Even met Yak at the downtown's Subways, and he was really friendly. Doesn't take much to acknowledge it has gotten to him, since he's been here. Even Eberle has been slugglish lately. Whole team has regressed, other than Nuge.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Hall's unhappy at skills competition = cancer in locker room.

Gotta love this forum at times. I'm almost 100% positive that if he was there having the time of his life we'd have a handful of posters ripping on him saying he shouldn't be having fun when the team is mired in such a horrendous losing streak.

This board is so insane.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Hall's unhappy at skills competition = cancer in locker room.

Gotta love this forum at times. I'm almost 100% positive that if he was there having the time of his life we'd have a handful of posters ripping on him saying he shouldn't be having fun when the team is mired in such a horrendous losing streak.

This board is so insane.

This post by you is more assumptive than anything I've viewed in the whole thread. Hope you felt good being self righteous and judgemental. I think one person in the thread mentioned a cancer comment and probably have many other reasons for thinking it the case.

I'm kind of neutral but its pretty clear on the ice and on the bench and anytime you see Hall he looks disinterested and unhappy.

I could see him looking unhappy. That in itself would be OK. But listless, underperforming, inconsistent, only bringing it on the odd shift. inexcusable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad