Oilers Skills Competition

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Rob Tychkowski ‏@Sun_Tychkowski 8 minutes ago
Edmonton Oilers Skills Competition update: Foam targets have jumped out to an early 2-0 lead.

Oilers really coming on in the 2nd period vs. the foam targets though, now outside the foam targets 12-8 in the second period. Foam targets are in cruise mode.

Stauffer says it should be a tie game if not for a 30 second lapse. Michaels concurs.

Viktor Fasth throws his stick, striking an unsuspecting 8 year old in the crowd out of frustration after being pulled. What an ugly scene.

:sarcasm:

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
They're also having a special "Jersey Tossing" competetion where the players have the scoop up jerseys from the ice and throw them back into the crowd as quickly as possible. Really gets the fans involved. What a class organization.

Screen-Shot-2014-10-18-at-3.32.01-PM-860x280.png

There will also be Water Bottle Squirting for the coaching staff.

Lol I would actually pay money to see that event

McDeathbyCheerios*

Not sure if serious...
A little. I mean Drai gets hated on so much for not being ready but it's not his fault that he shouldn't be here.

His skating needs work but he clearly has speed when he gets going, he just needs to work on the getting going.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
A little. I mean Drai gets hated on so much for not being ready but it's not his fault that he shouldn't be here.

His skating needs work but he clearly has speed when he gets going, he just needs to work on the getting going.

I think more the case is that nobody else brought it. Theres another thought. This team that doesn't practice well, scrimmage well, play games well or put up a sweat in any activity didn't either in a skills competition..

McDeathbyCheerios*

I think more the case is that nobody else brought it. Theres another thought. This team that doesn't practice well, scrimmage well, play games well or put up a sweat in any activity didn't either in a skills competition..
True but if Drais as slow as everyone seems to think then was everyone else on one foot?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Oilers have skills?

ten skills competition are

1) Jersey tossing
2) Trying to beat Hall to the bar after the game
3) Jagerbomb depth charges
4) Dallas Eakins aping games
5) Comb you hair like katz
6) Beer pong
7) See who can take home the most money with doing the least amount of work
8) Guess the next Assinine thing Stauffer will say
9) Can you pick out Edmonton in the standings
10) Dodge the angry fans down the hall way to the dressing room

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Oilers have skills?

They have the fine skill of being able to lose no matter what winning obstacles are put in front of them. Just look at the game vs Dallas. They have mastered the art of losing and I couldn't be more proud of them :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
rofl! Draisaitl is our fastest skater? I know that he moves well when he gets going but his acceleration is slow.

McDreamy

Losing credibility
Feb 25, 2009
I thought that first post about Drai winning fastest skater was a joke. Was everyone else wearing shoes?

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
More like disinterested.

Maybe if there were puck bunnies with shooters standing at the other end..

Sure they're not going full gear but Drais time measures up fairly well to the all star results of the last few years. I don't believe for a second that Draisaitl is the fastest skater on this team but I do think he's not nearly as bad as what's the consensus. He's an ugly skater but his straight line speed is good, his top speed is good, it's the first few steps and agility that needs work but not even those areas are as bad as what is usually suggested.

One interesting thing with his skating today was that he had a much better body position compared to what you see in the games, deeper and with a better torque using his size better. I think his legs are too straight in the games because he lacks the strength and conditioning to be in a deep position all game and also because he's still adjusting to the pace and physicality of the NHL game and since he's not a natural skater like say Taylor Hall he loses his body position when there is too much going on in his head and he ends up in a stand up position. You can see when he just hustles at times then suddenly his skating looks better. Just my two cents, no skating expert at all.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Not surprised that Draisaitl won the fastest skater. There are a lot of guys who surprise in this kind of contest, mainly because no one ever takes a full lap around the rink without the puck during a game (maybe Yakupov does the odd time). It's really a meaningless test. Hall is no doubt the fast when it matters, with the puck--although, I swear he use to be much fast his first and second year.

Some fans argue that their guy is the fastest in the NHL--the usual suspects being Aves fans for Duchene, Ranger fans for Hagelin, and Oiler/Duck fans for Cognliano. But speed with the puck changes this list. Patrick Kane, Stamkos, Crosby, Ovechkin, and MacKinnon (Hall a few years ago, but he's turned it down quite a bit, probably in response to his "reckless" playing style) are blazing fast with the puck, much faster than the aforementioned players.

Ogopogo*

Meh, it's a decent cheap family event, and kids under 8 don't really care how much the Oilers suck, they just want to see NHL players.

Yep, took my kids and they had fun.

Draisaitl winning fastest skater - well, he was pretty quick. Hall started four or five feet behind the line, I suspect if he actually started on the red line, he would have won. Draisaitl only beat him by like .2 of a second.

Perron and RNH were lights out at target shooting, not sure why they don't score more in games. RNH is starting to come around though.

LOTS of jerseys were tossed on the ice!!! LOL - they were for autographs as Yak was signing and tossing them back. Yak sure enjoys the game of hockey - it was quite apparent today. I think Eakins took the fun out of the game for him and as as result, he has looked useless on the ice. Hopefully Nelson allows him to play his game, enjoy himself and start to contribute like he did under Krueger. I suspect if Eakins was staying around, Yak may look for other hockey options.

Decent family event. Glad the crowd didn't boo the players - even though they are horrible right now, we need to support the home team. Good job Oiler fans - looked like about 7,000 were there today.

Last edited by a moderator:

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Gazdic also beat Hunt in the puck control relay, what does Brad Hunt do again beside have a good slap shot?

Stat Guy

Aug 30, 2014
Just when I thought the Oilers couldn't care less, I watched the shootout competition. Yak and Hall could not have tried less....
Way to give the fans their $10's worth

EpSoNiight

Nov 14, 2013
Was there just cuz. Some things to take note. Hall always seemed off by himself and not really enjoying himself at all. Always would go to the bench early during the 3v3.
Yak was signing everything that came his way. During events kids would toss everytbing over the glass to him and he signed a lot. Got tired after a while and just skated away at points but it was nice to see
Yak was also always around nikitan, only person he seemed to be talking with.
I was sitting on the blue side so didn't really get to see much of team white. But tbh most of everyone looked to be enjoying themselves and smiling, which is what they should be in this event I believe. Hall I did notice smiled too, it wasn't all bad. But I couldn't believe that he didn't really talk to anyone. Not nuge. Not ebs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad