Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Yohann Auvitu [1 year/$700k]

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

I like it. Similar style of defenseman to Sekera.

He was pretty good for New Jersey. Played a sheltered role, but was solid defensively. I could see his offense improving away from the Devils.

Seems like a decent shot at a stopgap.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Started off the year well playing a very attacking style, but eventually teams caught on and he was getting exposed defensively. He wasn't producing enough to offset that either and he was yo-yoed around for the Devils after that.

He doesn't have the size to play against big bodies in the defensive end of the ice, but he has a lot of skill offensively. If he's sheltered alongside a solid, reliable defender, he could be a very good acquisition. Devils defense is just atrocious and can't prop up a player like Auvitu.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
1-way deal at 650K per Stauffer (via cap friendly)

From what I can gather from 4 minutes searching through the Devils forum he started out like a bat out of hell with the Devils last year, took everyone by surprise and made the team. Shows plenty of skill, but as the season went on his play got worse and he ended up down in the minors and struggled down there as well. Didn't receive a QO from them and let him go.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Lowetide had suggested signing him for a couple of months now.

Another good bet, he had good numbers in the 25 games he played. If he doesn't work out, that's it.

And is that it for the 50 contracts?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Good signing.

Played fantastic for France at the Worlds.

I think I'd pencil him in on pairing 3 on the left side until Sekera is back. Could be an interesting guy to pair with Russell.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Auvitu-Russell

Last edited:

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Good low-risk signing for Edmonton.

He played well for NJ early in the season, but was eventually sent down to the minors and by the end of the season was a healthy scratch for Albany. Not quite sure what happened, but would expect him to rebound and possibly compete for a spot or be an AHL callup at some point.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Stauffer has Ken Daneyko on who says he likes him quite a bit. Good puck mover, good shot, quick release, can get it through to the net well. He wasn't sure why the Devil's didn't have more time for him. Thinks he might have a shot at cracking the Oilers lineup at some point

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Good signing.

Played fantastic for France at the Worlds.

I think I'd pencil him in on pairing 3 on the right side until Sekera is back. Could be an interesting guy to pair with Russell.

Klefbom-Russell
Nurse-Larsson
Auvitu-Benning
Gryba

Don't hate it. I suspected we'd sign a LHD.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Really good fancy stats last season for the Devils. A pretty interesting signing.

Gordian Knot

Jul 3, 2016
He has been years playing top minutes in FEL (JYP and HIFK being his teams). His skating is great and fits nicely on big European ice, may struggle at NHL if not paired with stay-at-home guy. He is a bit soft but very smart and can move puck well. I would say he is poor man's Vatanen although lefty. Auvitu has been fan favorite where ever he has been playing. Gives everything for the team and great guy in locker room. Great signing again and really adding depth on defense.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Good add, between him and Stanton I feel relatively comfortable we can get by without Sekera for the short term.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's a pretty small, inexperienced bottom pair.

I suspect the pairings will be pretty fluid until Sekera gets back.

Could also see:

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Auvitu-Russell
With Gryba swapping in against bigger teams instead of Benning .

Edited because I put Gryba as out for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad