Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Paigin and Shane Starett to ELCs

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The major difference with goalies compared to skaters is that good #1 goalies almost come equally from 3rd round and later as they come from 1st round. Compare that to skaters where most top line players come predominantly from 1st round, specificially top 10. Yes there is noteable exceptions but they are more rare. So your pick in the first 2 rounds is a limited and valuable asset. You are more often better off trying to get that elite skater there and get your goalie later on

For example, from that 2012 draft goalies drafter later include Andersen, Korpisalo, Helleybuck, Murray, Stolarz. Later round gems for players is limited to Parayko, Ghost, Slavin (some other but more good depth players)

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
umm we might have that guy already.

Who? Ellis only signed a two year ELC and isn't going to make a huge impact on the Oilers next year, and Brossoit is in the last year of his. Samsonov is developing in Russia and will come over on a three year deal in a year or two. His numbers are a tier above Vasileyski's at the same age. He is as blue chip as it gets and cant be compared to any Oilers prospect IMO.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Who? Ellis only signed a two year ELC and isn't going to make a huge impact on the Oilers next year, and Brossoit is in the last year of his. Samsonov is developing in Russia and will come over on a three year deal in a year or two. His numbers are a tier above Vasileyski's at the same age. He is as blue chip as it gets and cant be compared to any Oilers prospect IMO.

Itll be interesting to see if/when he comes over. Will be getting some major contract offers in KHL. Id say Talbot is just as entrenched as a starter as Holtby so I wonder if hell come over to sit behind Holtby

Not commenting on the pick or anything, just curious

On a whole id say Ellis actually could make some noise later next year if he runs with AHL starting gig. Already good numbers for a rookie

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005

nope LB.
He is in the 2nd year of his ELC and isnt a RFA until after next season.
Being on your ELC doesnt even mean much considering how we can just sign LB to a cheap bridge deal for 3 more yrs.

Samsonov may have elite numbers but goaltending is least of our worries for the next 4/5 yrs. You can get a decent one for a 2nd round pick these days.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site

Yeah Samsonov was a quality pick at that slot (I liked him as well) but there were others as well so it wasn't obvious. People say never pick a goalie high. That's only true if you are an org that is clueless about goalies like the Oilers. Good goalie orgs like MTL, NAS and NYR have excellent records. I don't think MTL regrets picking Price where they did and they got plenty of flack from the so-called experts who spouted the common knowledge that you don't pick a goalie in the first round. When a guy deserves it you take him - but it's also clear that good scouting can uncover some middle round gems - and of course you have to develop these guys properly.

The new kid may start in the ECHL and there is nothing wrong with that - and it's good that the young Russian is staying over the summer. As with any prospect other than McDavid - we'll see how they develop.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yeah Samsonov was a quality pick at that slot (I liked him as well) but there were others as well so it wasn't obvious. People say never pick a goalie high. That's only true if you are an org that is clueless about goalies like the Oilers. Good goalie orgs like MTL, NAS and NYR have excellent records. I don't think MTL regrets picking Price where they did and they got plenty of flack from the so-called experts who spouted the common knowledge that you don't pick a goalie in the first round. When a guy deserves it you take him - but it's also clear that good scouting can uncover some middle round gems - and of course you have to develop these guys properly.

The new kid may start in the ECHL and there is nothing wrong with that - and it's good that the young Russian is staying over the summer. As with any prospect other than McDavid - we'll see how they develop.

You sure about this? Nashville got Renne in the 8th round (doesnt even exist anymore, Lundqvuist was found in the 7th, and Montreal even got Halak in the 9th round.

Since renne, the Preds have picked 7 goalies and hit on 1 in Lindback (solid back up for a few seasons). They missed on 2 2nd rounders and 1 18th overall (Pickard). Rangers have drafted 5 since 2004 ish, hitting on none and missing on a 2nd round pick. Habs have drafted 4, missing on all of them (most noteable Fucale)

It does seem weird that you list Montreal as being a good goalie drafting team, yet they completely miss on Fucale, a very, very hyped prospect and couldnt even turn him into anything more than a poor ECHL goalie.All those teams you indicated all missed on several top 2 round picks and all but Montreal struck gold after the 6th round. Letting hundreds of picks go by before selecting a future franchise goalie. I call that luck.

As for the second bolded, that is luck, not skill. If your scouts knew a goalie was going to be a starter, there is legit no way a GM would willingly select other players ahead of them in rounds 1,2,3 or 4 and let 29 other teams select this future starter. Its luck, mixed with some proper development, bust mostly luck

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
You sure about this? Nashville got Renne in the 8th round (doesnt even exist anymore, Lundqvuist was found in the 7th, and Montreal even got Halak in the 9th round.

Since renne, the Preds have picked 7 goalies and hit on 1 in Lindback (solid back up for a few seasons). They missed on 2 2nd rounders and 1 18th overall (Pickard). Rangers have drafted 5 since 2004 ish, hitting on none and missing on a 2nd round pick. Habs have drafted 4, missing on all of them (most noteable Fucale)

It does seem weird that you list Montreal as being a good goalie drafting team, yet they completely miss on Fucale, a very, very hyped prospect and couldnt even turn him into anything more than a poor ECHL goalie.All those teams you indicated all missed on several top 2 round picks and all but Montreal struck gold after the 6th round. Letting hundreds of picks go by before selecting a future franchise goalie. I call that luck.

As for the second bolded, that is luck, not skill. If your scouts knew a goalie was going to be a starter, there is legit no way a GM would willingly select other players ahead of them in rounds 1,2,3 or 4 and let 29 other teams select this future starter. Its luck, mixed with some proper development, bust mostly luck

Saros is looking pretty good for the Preds.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Saros is looking pretty good for the Preds.

Should have mentioned I only went up to 2012 as it wasnt fair to call any goalie drafted after either a bust or a star (as weve seen Pogge and numerous other highly touted guys bust). But yes Saros looks good in NHL. Drafted in 4th round tho, again an example of goalies being voodoo and being able to find gems more easily in late rounds

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Speaking of goalies, very impressed with Dylan Wells and that pick. Quite arguably now a top 3-5 CHL goalie. .919 svpt after 58 games (including playoffs) this season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Speaking of goalies, very impressed with Dylan Wells and that pick. Quite arguably now a top 3-5 CHL goalie. .919 svpt after 58 games (including playoffs) this season.

6-0 .940 sv% in playoffs too. Interesting to see if he makes Team Canada this WJC

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Management must have been pretty happy to hear or see what Paigin did in his short tenure with Bakersfield to lock him up so fast.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
nope LB.
He is in the 2nd year of his ELC and isnt a RFA until after next season.
Being on your ELC doesnt even mean much considering how we can just sign LB to a cheap bridge deal for 3 more yrs.

Samsonov may have elite numbers but goaltending is least of our worries for the next 4/5 yrs. You can get a decent one for a 2nd round pick these days.

Huh? LB is in the 1st year of his second contract (2 year deal). His ELC expired at the end of last season. He also needs to clear waivers next year to go down to Bakersfield. He has 2 more years of RFA control after next season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Management must have been pretty happy to hear or see what Paigin did in his short tenure with Bakersfield to lock him up so fast.

Chances are they were working on signing him before the ATO with Bakersfield. I imagine they wanted him in NA as soon as possible so convinced him to sign the ATO while they were working on the contract.

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
**** me. Starett really looks like he could be a quality starting goalie in a few years at NHL level. Kid's super flexible, and he has really good rebound control. He's quick to get across the net, and to get back on his feet.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Great signings. Excited about Paigin ever since we drafted him.

Lots of potential. He's got all the tools but will he be able to put it together in NA. Good thing is he's still young and has lots of time to make it happen if he's patient and puts his time in with Bako. With the money the Oilers are spending on their high end players they are going to need cheap contracts at every position, there will definitely be opportunity at some point. If I'm not mistaken I believe he can play both sides pretty well too.

**** me. Starett really looks like he could be a quality starting goalie in a few years at NHL level. Kid's super flexible, and he has really good rebound control. He's quick to get across the net, and to get back on his feet.

Good size and looks very athletic. He seems to move pretty well and his reaction time also looks good. Technique needs some work however, he looks to get caught out of position a bit and ends up moving around in the crease a lot.

I'll be curious to see what the coaching staff can do with this guy, seems to check a lot of the boxes you wanna see in goalies but needs a lot of polishing.

easternrefugee

Jun 24, 2013
Bakersfield, CA
Lots of potential. He's got all the tools but will he be able to put it together in NA. Good thing is he's still young and has lots of time to make it happen if he's patient and puts his time in with Bako. With the money the Oilers are spending on their high end players they are going to need cheap contracts at every position, there will definitely be opportunity at some point. If I'm not mistaken I believe he can play both sides pretty well too.

Good size and looks very athletic. He seems to move pretty well and his reaction time also looks good. Technique needs some work however, he looks to get caught out of position a bit and ends up moving around in the crease a lot.

I'll be curious to see what the coaching staff can do with this guy, seems to check a lot of the boxes you wanna see in goalies but needs a lot of polishing.

Starett will be the #1 in Whichita ECHL.

nafrelio

Aug 26, 2005
brite feuchure
What happened with Paigin? He had huge numbers one year, then what happened? Did he crash and burn here? Don't hear anything about him...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad