Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Paigin and Shane Starett to ELCs

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Paigin must have been impressed by dem California puck bunnies to sign so quickly after his PTO.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
6'5'' goalie who has put up some really impressive numbers at the Air Force Academy(NCAA).

Should be interesting to see how he does. The Atlantic Hockey Conference is probably the lowest quality of competition in the NCAA.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
6'5'' goalie who has put up some really impressive numbers at the Air Force Academy(NCAA).

Should be interesting to see how he does. The Atlantic Hockey Conference is probably the lowest quality of competition in the NCAA.

Indeed, they are really re-stocking the cupboard with goaltenders.

I wonder how Starett's numbers and quality of competition compare to Talbot coming out of College, because Talbot went to a "lesser" end School in the NCAA, right?

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011
Love the college goalie signings. Goalies are seemingly impossible to draft confidently so this is by far the way to go. Ellis is a legit prospect with NHL possibility one day and maybe Starrett can be too

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51

I wonder how Starett's numbers and quality of competition compare to Talbot coming out of College, because Talbot went to a "lesser" end School in the NCAA, right?

I wonder if the Oilers plan to sign Svoboda.

Ruok

Feeling Hyman.
Jun 21, 2011

His numbers compare pretty well with Talbots final year with a bit better gaa. Starrett has put up two quality years in a row.

I would speculate he was playing in a better team relative to the league than Talbot was though, due to win totals.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
His numbers compare pretty well with Talbots final year with a bit better gaa. Starrett has put up two quality years in a row.

I would speculate he was playing in a better team relative to the league than Talbot was though, due to win totals.

Well, if they identified his athleticism and good goaltending foundation, like the Rangers did with Talbot, could be a very nice find.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Yeah. Talbot went to Alabama-Huntsville. It's a lesser school, but it was in a pretty solid Conference though. Some good teams from Minnesota, Michigan, Alaska, etc.

The AHC is probably a decent step down from there. I don't think it produces many pros.

Starrett's numbers are quite a bit better than Talbot's were though, so you never know.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Smart move by a defenceman and a goalie to sign here so they don't have to face McDavid coming in on them in games.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Seems like this goalie could be a good AHL back up next year/few years and maybe that career AHL goalie that provides solid support.

IMO better to run with more prospects in AHL rather than some 29 year old journeyman. Atleast there is a slim chance this guy pulls a Talbot.

Nick Ellis was a terrifc signing so hoepfully this guy matches him

gooilgo

Dec 30, 2010
Area 51
I wonder if we sign Svoboda and loan him to somewhere in Europe rather than play him in the ECHL. If we did that, would his ELC slide a year or no?

That would seem like the smart move but sometimes GM's don't like signing too many players from the same draft class(already signed 4 of the 6 players taken with Marino still in college) and that coupled with the signing of a couple of NCAA free agent goalie signings there's no telling what the Oilers have planned for Svoboda if anything.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'm a fan of signing goalie prospects and not having to draft and wait 4+ years for them to maybe make it as an AHL starter

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I'm a fan of signing goalie prospects and not having to draft and wait 4+ years for them to maybe make it as an AHL starter

Agreed. Signed Ellis and hes a #1B in AHL this year.

Look at goalies we drafted in past- Nagelvort, 3 years and nothing. Bunz, 2 years and nothing, Bouchard- nothing, Perhonen- nothing, Roy- nothing

Dylan Wells is playing really good tho so maybe hell make it. But our NHL starter, back up and AHL starter were all traded for or signed, not drafted

Dont waste picks on goalies

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well in hindsight they could have drafted Vasilevsky over Yakupov in that draft and they'd be laughing now.

I was very, very high on Vasilevsky back then and would have taken him #4 in that draft... so you can't say NEVER draft a goalie... but yes, there are cheaper ways to obtain goalies than drafting them (especially in early rounds).

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Well in hindsight they could have drafted Vasilevsky over Yakupov in that draft and they'd be laughing now.

I was very, very high on Vasilevsky back then and would have taken him #4 in that draft... so you can't say NEVER draft a goalie... but yes, there are cheaper ways to obtain goalies than drafting them (especially in early rounds).

I wanted Samsonov two years ago with 16 overall. How nice would it have been to have a young stud on an ELC come in and push Talbot for starts in a few years. Goalies are voodoo though and I agree with Chia's approach of finding older FA's recently.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Agreed. Signed Ellis and hes a #1B in AHL this year.

Look at goalies we drafted in past- Nagelvort, 3 years and nothing. Bunz, 2 years and nothing, Bouchard- nothing, Perhonen- nothing, Roy- nothing

Dylan Wells is playing really good tho so maybe hell make it. But our NHL starter, back up and AHL starter were all traded for or signed, not drafted

Dont waste picks on goalies

Nagelvoort I feel had a good rebound year. Started off slow, but as the season went along, he took over as the best goalie on his team, and started off his pro career with a good start in the ECHL.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I wanted Samsonov two years ago with 16 overall. How nice would it have been to have a young stud on an ELC come in and push Talbot for starts in a few years. Goalies are voodoo though and I agree with Chia's approach of finding older FA's recently.

umm we might have that guy already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad