Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mikko Koskinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Judging by this twelve second highlight reel(that clearly doesn't focus on highlight reel plays over typical goaltending), I've determined that he obviously has terrible technique and that's he's clearly being carried by a team I know nothing about in a league that I know even less about.

Top notch analysis as usual, HFboards.

I submitted a 7minute video review earlier in the thread. Try looking at it. Something can be ascertained about his style from that combined with numerous scouting reports that mention difficulty with mobility. Certainly enough questions to wonder about Chia throwing 2.5M away.

lmao at people suggesting this is some kind of ringer goalie because he's good in the KHL where some of the most dangerous producers you see are Linus Omark, Hartikainen, Larsen, Brule, Lander, who we've all seen here and are not exactly offensive juggernauts by NHL standards. Guys like Klinkhammer are topsix in the deplorably watered down KHL. Its become a joke of a league.

Linus Omark, 4th in KHL scoring. Can't stop laughing.

A lunchbucket like Linden Vey who couldn't even crack Flames or Nucks lineup, and was a .30ppg producer in the NHL is one of the top scorers in the KHL going ppg.

Nigel Dawes, a runt, an NHL nothing, a 5th round pick, who has an NHL total of 39goals scored almost that many in one season in the KHL this year to lead the league. Not exactly great hands this guy but a scoring dynamo in the weak KHL.

I mean you need to consider the poor quality of play in the KHL that is propping up this kind of goalie numbers on one of the better clubs in the league.

AHL shooters would pose much more thread to a goalie like Koskinen and thus his poor numbers there.

Funny as well that Koski wasn't even an undisputed #1 in the KHL. A guy named Igor Shestyorkin had slightly better numbers on the same club that only gave up 99 goals all season. Chances are if you played for ST. Petersburg this season you looked good.

Last edited:

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
Jason Gregor (on Lowetide's show today) and Stauffer saying the terms aren't correct.

Gregor says he believe's the contract is actually 2 years x 1.25m per year or 1 year x $2.5 m per year

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Regardless, I'm not making any judgements overall, just pointing out that the falling tree stye of goaltending exhibited in that single clip is a particularly reliable one.

So you state that video evidence isnt enough to make a judgment but 1 single clip is somehow reliable?

You dont see a glaring contradiction with that statement?

North

Jun 25, 2009
Jason Gregor (on Lowetide's show today) and Stauffer saying the terms aren't correct.

Gregor says he believe's the contract is actually 2 years x 1.25m per year or 1 year x $2.5 m per year

Can the pitchforks be put away?

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
FWIW I remember @GameChanger speaking highly of this goalie's technique/potential. I'm a fan of picking talent out of Europe, especially goalies. I see Tim Thomas mentioned - well, if he comes over and has a few seasons for us like Thomas did for the Bruins, that's clearly a win.

I've spoken mainly about Veini Vehviläinen, a much younger guy. He's very solid technically and I'm surprised if he won't make a nice career in NA.

I haven't followed Koskinen as closely, but I do feel he's a very interesting goalie. Could very well be readier to shine in the NHL than any other goalie outside of NA. Has been great in the national team and really looked like he should get a shot in the NHL.

The reason why I leave some percentage to failure is because he's such a huge guy and thus it's harder to compare him with other goalies. There's always a chance there'll be too much room between the legs or something like that, but AFAIK that hasn't been a problem in the KHL or natioanal team. Other than that he covers the goal very well and his long reach is a great asset, his head is also great and should help a lot.

All in all I wouldn't be surprised if Koskinen becomes a great #1 goalie, but of course the opposite is possible, too, although not very likely imo.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I've spoken mainly about Veini Vehviläinen, a much younger guy. He's very solid technically and I'm surprised if he won't make a nice career in NA.

I haven't followed Koskinen as closely, but I do feel he's a very interesting goalie. Could very well be readier to shine in the NHL than any other goalie outside of NA. Has been great in the national team and really looked like he should get a shot in the NHL.

The reason why I leave some percentage to failure is because he's such a huge guy and thus it's harder to compare him with other goalies. There's always a chance there'll be too much room between the legs or something like that, but AFAIK that hasn't been a problem in the KHL or natioanal team. Other than that he covers the goal very well and his long reach is a great asset, his head is also great and should help a lot.

All in all I wouldn't be surprised if Koskinen becomes a great #1 goalie, but of course the opposite is possible, too, although not very likely imo.

Ah, damn. My bad for mixing them up, but thanks for the scouting report. I trust what you have to say about these goalies way more than all our resident highlight watchers (myself included).

Ruudukkopupuset

Mar 29, 2018
That would be great but you have to admit that it's a risk for a team to invest $5M into a career KHL goalie. It could work out but again, Chia is betting on a hope and a prayer.

What is a career KHL goaltender? Koskinen has for years had the chance to be a back-up in the NHL yet he chose to be one of the biggest paid goalies in Eurasia after being acquired by the wealthiest team on the continent. Now he is coming over to play, not to sit behind someone with Talbot's resume. Of course he doesn't want to come over into the NHL as two time KHL champion and world championship silver medallist to open the hatch and make less money in a far smaller role only to relieve some organization out of their salary cap troubles.

I do not understand the need to compare Koskinen to smaller goaltenders career trajectories since I would assume every scouting team in the NHL already takes the slower development speed these giants usually have in order to get used to their bodies. Rinne was never anything but a back-up in Finland for example when starting his professional career. Why is it necessary to lie of Shestjorkin who has done nothing (not even played beyond couple games!) in the KHL play-offs while Koskinen has been clearly leading SKA's every play-off charge. Of course teams in Europe have the mind to rest goaltenders, especially in an Olympic year, for the play-offs during regular season but the pecking order could have not been much clearer between these two.

Reactions: haildestroyer

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Haven't you seen how salaries for players are rising since 2006? It used to be 7 million for top players etc. Now its around 9-12 million for players around that level. Of course its going to be 2.5. Were you expecting an entry level deal? Get real. This sounds like you just trying to get at Chiarelli because you hate him.

I didn't know Chia had an account on here. Look around the league at comparable contracts to players similar to Draisaitl and they are making less. When the next crop of RFA's sign their extensions(minus Matthews) it will make the Draisaitl contract look even worse. Look around the league at other backup goalie contracts and theres not many in the 2.5 range, especially for a player that hasn't played in the league in years. What if his game doesn't transfer over to the NA game and we're stuck with a 2.5 mil x2 year contract in the AHL plus we still would need to find a backup. Right now this is just speculation but unless there is an actual bidding war for his services we should aim in the 1.5 range.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That would be great but you have to admit that it's a risk for a team to invest $5M into a career KHL goalie. It could work out but again, Chia is betting on a hope and a prayer.

I'd love it if this thread gets bumped a year from now and makes me and other naysayers look like fools but for now, I'm skeptical.
Hopefully the rumor is bogus and the numbers he signs for are more modest, something like 2.5 total over 2 years.

Yeah I would have been hoping for something like that as well. Hopefully they got confused and it's 2 years, $2.5M total??

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What is a career KHL goaltender? Koskinen has for years had the chance to be a back-up in the NHL yet he chose to be one of the biggest paid goalies in Eurasia after being acquired by the wealthiest team on the continent. Now he is coming over to play, not to sit behind someone with Talbot's resume. Of course he doesn't want to come over into the NHL as two time KHL champion and world championship silver medallist to open the hatch and make less money in a far smaller role only to relieve some organization out of their salary cap troubles.

I do not understand the need to compare Koskinen to smaller goaltenders career trajectories since I would assume every scouting team in the NHL already takes the slower development speed these giants usually have in order to get used to their bodies. Rinne was never anything but a back-up in Finland for example when starting his professional career. Why is it necessary to lie of Shestjorkin who has done nothing (not even played beyond couple games!) in the KHL play-offs while Koskinen has been clearly leading SKA's every play-off charge. Of course teams in Europe have the mind to rest goaltenders, especially in an Olympic year, for the play-offs during regular season but the pecking order could have not been much clearer between these two.

Just going on numbers but Shestyorkin played identical Reg season games, 28, and had identical stats to Koskinen and is only 22. Not sure if theres some back story to that or seeing weaker opponents but its not like any opponents are all that strong in the KHL.

Again theres around 8 players in the KHL that were former forward clowns here with the Oilers that are among lead leading producers at the KHL level. Every one of these was an out and out NHL bust. The only one I liked was Lander. But for his defensive play.

In anycase you seem to not get that Koskinen hasn't seen anything like the offensive talents that he will face on a nightly basis in the NHL. There would be around 400 NHL forwards good enough to be top twenty in scoring in the watered down KHL. The AHL would have another couple hundred more.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Haven't you seen how salaries for players are rising since 2006? It used to be 7 million for top players etc. Now its around 9-12 million for players around that level. Of course its going to be 2.5. Were you expecting an entry level deal? Get real. This sounds like you just trying to get at Chiarelli because you hate him.

There are also only 10 players in the entire league with a cap hit greater than 9 million. Mcdavid, Kane, Toews, Kopitar, Eichel, Ovie, Malkin, Benn and Subban. You will see the elite/franchise players signing for 9+ but I doubt the other star players will be getting that. As of next season Draisaitl will be the 14th highest paid player in the league when he is probably a top 30-50 player in the league.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

This would be a good deal. Then you can bury him in the minors if he doesn't pan out.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Ah, damn. My bad for mixing them up, but thanks for the scouting report. I trust what you have to say about these goalies way more than all our resident highlight watchers (myself included).

Don't take me wrong. If I had to pick one of the two to play next season it would definitely be Koskinen, no question about that. That's because he's probably much readier, I'd say pretty much as ready as it gets outside of NA.

I'm trying to be careful with my words, as I don't feel 100% sure about this, but I remember when I watched Koskinen play in the national team I felt he could very well be a great NHL goalie. He played against some world-class goalies and never looked out of place. If he manages to play at that level in the smaller rink you'll probably like him a lot.

Reactions: PulYou and Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad