Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Matt Benning (2 Years ELC)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Cool. Hopefully he has a good year in the AHL and shows himself to be a real prospect. Zero expectations for him at this point.

Weird that it took so long that announce. This seemed like a foregone signing like 2 weeks ago.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The prospect pool is looking far better this off season than I can remember it looking.

Yeah, most of them may not pay off. But there's a lot of decent ceilings.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Drafted in round 6. Has he outperformed that draft round? He must have to be so highly courted?

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
The prospect pool is looking far better this off season than I can remember it looking.

Yeah, most of them may not pay off. But there's a lot of decent ceilings.

That's because it's starting to turn into a pool again lol not a puddle/desert we have had over the last 5 plus years.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
That's because it's starting to turn into a pool again lol not a puddle/desert we have had over the last 5 plus years.

Yeah. If the second round and deeper was better drafted, the position of this team would be so much better. Oh well, it is starting to change, isn't it?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This signing certainly doesnt help Reinharts cause although Reinhart does shoot left.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Excellent signing for the depth chart, definitely short on righties. Hope for a good season in Bakersfield.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
Yeah. If the second round and deeper was better drafted, the position of this team would be so much better. Oh well, it is starting to change, isn't it?

I think so, I hope so... certainly looks alot better having more then 2 to 3 right hand defense in the entire organization. We got some forward prospects signed that will actually have to play their way onto the team and not just be gifted NHL positions.

Our defense is a bit stronger at the NHL level hopefully allowing us to develop defenders without dropping them out of a plane in the middle of the Pacific yelling "hope you can swim" as the boot hits them out the bay doors. This team has felt so depleted over the years it's sad. I mean just last year starting without Eberle how long did it take to find someone to step in on right wing? Or having your rookie defensemen playing on the top line.

I just hope the trend Chai is on continues

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Anyways, always good to have another d prospect in the system. I'm not going to get terribly excited though as the novelty of acquiring these 'B' prospects has worn off quite some time ago after so many years of them making absolutely no impact for us in the long run.

That being said, here's hoping this one turns out!

Last edited by a moderator:

kurtcobang

Feb 18, 2007
Matt

Damon

Will he see time on the big club this season? I dont know much about him other than what I just read on here. Nothing wrong with a free lottery ticket.
Something has to give on our left side D eventually. Way to many similar players on the depth chart

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad