Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mark Fayne (4-Years, $3.625M per)

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Devils fan here. Just wanted to let you know that Mark Fayne is an outstanding signing for you guys. He will give you 20+ minutes a night of mistake free hockey. The guy brings a calming effect to the ice every time that he is out there and is the definition of consistency. Mark will never blow you away with his abilities but if you're a knowledgeable hockey fan then you will be a huge Mark Fayne fan. He's got size but he isn't overly physical, he gets it done with his positioning and stick work. He isn't known for offensive ability but a majority of us Devil fans think that there is some untapped offensive potential when it comes Fayne, so don't be surprised if he has a 30+ point season especially if you give him power play time, I know I won't. Obviously the offensive aspect isn't guaranteed but one thing you'll appreciate with Fayne is his ability to pinch. He's one of the best defenseman I have ever seen when it comes to stepping up and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Hell be great when it comes to keeping the play alive for your young offensive talent to get their chances and put the puck in the net. Like I said before this is a great signing for you guys and he should be exactly what you need. I would not be surprised if people look back on this signing in a few years as one of the best of this off season. I hope I don't get your hopes up but this guy should not disappoint at all, I'm that confident in his abilities and a majority of Devil's fans feel the same way. I probably didn't tell you guys anything you didn't I know yet but I felt the need to put in my 2 cents in on the matter. Good luck to ya.

Yes, thank you! All excellent things to read. I do have one question though. Why didn't Fayne get more icetime in Jersey? He played mostly with Greene, but he still only came in at 6th for TOI/G. Why is that?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yes, thank you! All excellent things to read. I do have one question though. Why didn't Fayne get more icetime in Jersey? He played mostly with Greene, but he still only came in at 6th for TOI/G. Why is that?

He was 4th for EV TOI/G, maybe the 6th iincludes PP

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country

Well in total TOI he's 3rd. #3 in ES TOI, #4 in SH TOI and #8 in PP TOI.

Guys like Greene and Zidlicky were used more in PP TOI, and then guys like Salvador and Volchenkov in SH TOI.

It seems they sort of compartmentalized certain roles for some of their D-man.

He got the heavy lifting for ES with Greene, and some of the secondary SH TOI duties.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
Well in total TOI he's 3rd. #3 in ES TOI, #4 in SH TOI and #8 in PP TOI.

Guys like Greene and Zidlicky were used more in PP TOI, and then guys like Salvador and Volchenkov in SH TOI.

It seems they sort of compartmentalized certain roles for some of their D-man.

He got the heavy lifting for ES with Greene, and some of the secondary SH TOI duties.

In straight TOI, yes, but not in TOI/G. Here's a link to nhl.com's TOI stats for Jersey. He's 6th overall in TOI/G and 6th in ES TOI/G. 4th in SH TOI/G, so you're right that he got secondary PK time, but you'd think he'd be higher up in straight TOI/G. Even if you take Larsson and Harrold out of the equation, Fayne is 4th.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004

Ugh don't even get me started. Lets just say it had nothing to with his abilities or his play at the time. Pete DeBoer is notorious for picking favorites and he was obsessed with giving Salvador and Volchenkov much more time than they deserved. Anyone with half a brain knew that Fayne was being mishandled especially to start the season last year. Add in the fact that you had Andy Greene and Zidlicky playing fantastic last year for much of the season. Then there was the emergence of Jon Merrill and Gelinas last year. So there was a lot of factors that caused that. It wasn't until Gelinas came back down to earth that Fayne was finally being used correctly. But trust me when I say that whenever Fayne played last year he was great so it had nothing to with anything on his part. Chalk that up to DeBoer trying to fit a a square peg in a round hole. He did it to Adam Larsson as well. Last year frustrated the hell out of us Devil's fans when it came to personnell decisions. The majority of Devils fans wanted Pete fired even when we were actually winning games. I wasn't one of them but I was damn well close.

D3vilsH0ck3y

Jun 10, 2013
Another devils fan here... Congrats on this signing 3.625 is a steal for Mark Fayne. He is an absolute staple. With our logjam on D I still hoped the Devils were going to resign but its time for our kids to take the reign. Hopefully for both of our teams Greene and Fayne don't need each other to produce like they did last year because they were far and away our best tandem. 3.625 is a great hit for a top 4 dman who has shown he could handle top pairing minutes. Congrats again!

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

He didn't get any PP time and hardly got PK time

they would roll out the corpses of Bryce Salvador and Anton Volchenkov over him on the PK, and then of course Andy Greene.

5v5 though he was almost always with Greene going against #1 lines.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Looks like I didn't even have to say anything, Devil fans doing the job. I am a big fan of Fayne, really jealous you guys got him.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
Lol I love devil fans. They make me believe fayne is the answer to our defensive woes

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lol I love devil fans. They make me believe fayne is the answer to our defensive woes

He is not going to be some #1 savior, but he is a very, very solid top 4 DMan

Only problem is he will rarely put up points but you guys have plenty of guys who can do that already.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Our top pairing will probably be Nikitin and Fayne to start the year, to be honest it will be the best top pair we have had in years

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Our top pairing will probably be Nikitin and Fayne to start the year, to be honest it will be the best top pair we have had in years

Actually, I would like to see him and Marincin play together. If he's as steady as is suggested, he might allow Marty to be more dynamic and offensive as a player.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Actually, I would like to see him and Marincin play together. If he's as steady as is suggested, he might allow Marty to be more dynamic and offensive as a player.

Fayne is going to play the toughest minutes...something Maricin is years away from being able to do.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Fayne is going to play the toughest minutes...something Maricin is years away from being able to do.
Marincin might be able to handle it but I rather for him to keep developing on the second pairing where he doesn't seem out of place.

Nikitin Fayne for top minutes
Marincin Petry for second pairing
Ference Schultz for bottom pairing with Schultz getting prime pp time

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
He's already done that(and excelled at it) with Petry.

Very small sample, but this is right. Whether he can be trusted to do it over the long haul still remains to be seen, but the early signs are encouraging.

I was thinking Nikitin-Fayne would be a good pairing to play the tough minutes, but recently I've been starting to wonder if it wouldn't be better with Marincin in Nikitin's place myself. I think Marincin is a better puck mover than Nikitin, and that seems to be exactly the type of player Fayne has excelled with in the past (though Greene is a much more proven commodity than Marty). Petry, with a more experienced guy to his left might allow him to have more success in a tough minutes role, and his time paired with Smid would suggest he doesn't need a strong puck mover on his pairing to get results.

Either way, we wouldn't have the flexibility to try those types of things out if we hadn't been able to sign Fayne in the first place. Just a great signing IMO.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Devils fans on HF are pretty classy. It seems like the majority of posters on HF just dump on players when their teams walk away from them. Refreshing to read.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
So is Fayne like another Staios?

That would be a good thing. We need a solid, consistent player in the mix.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
So is Fayne like another Staios?

That would be a good thing. We need a solid, consistent player in the mix.

Staios was probably a better offensive player. Fayne probably a bit better defensively.

Similar roles I think though. Solid, reliable 2nd pairing guys. Before Staios declined later in his career though.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Simpson sounds a lot like Fayne. Simple, smart D. Jack of all trades master of none. If Simpson turned into Fayne that'd be a huge win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad