Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Mark Fayne (4-Years, $3.625M per)

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
I like the player and contract, but who plays on the top pairing still? Petry upgrade coming?

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
I like the player and contract, but who plays on the top pairing still? Petry upgrade coming?

No top pairing just roll three pairing's about equal minutes imo. (Nikitin/Schultz PP, Fayne,Ference,Petry,Marincin PK) See what we have in our young guys in the next couple of seasons. (Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse) I think you could even include Justin Schultz as I can see him improving big time with some better insulation, he's only 23 and has only played 122 games in the league. Defensman seem to round into form around 300 games and Schultz is by far the best guy we have at adding offense already, his defense should come along until he's at least average i'd imagine, he's a smart player.

Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin - Petry
Ference - J Schultz
Klefbom
Nurse

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I think MacT is reading my posts regarding FA

I really hope Mark Fayne continues to be underrated. He is basically a Stralman clone without the playoff hype.

I really dont see to much hype over him, but IMO he will be the best FA pick this offseason (a goldmine if you can get him for a reasonable price).

27 year old, just entering his prime. Plays top pairing minutes on the Devils (RelQoC wise), and rountiely has a positive CorsiRel.

He is a potential top pairing D that is going undetected. Not to mention he is a RHD, which is the biggest need on this team

Please MacT, for the love of god, get this guy

Yes please. I would go 6 X 5million even.

I honestly believe he will be better than Phanuef next season. I know he only put up 11 points this year, but he basically gets 0 PP time. In fact, he got 0 PP points. For persepctive, Phanuef only got 20 EV points this season

If we could walk away from FA with:

FA signings:
Fayne-top pairing RHD
Grabovski-2nd line center. Becomes 3rd line center when #3 pick is ready for 2c job in upcoming years
Pouliot-3rd line winger
Booth- cheap 4th liner

Trade
Quality, cheap 3rd line player returned for Gagner

Draft:
Draisiatl/Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart

I would be a very happy camper

A little over ambitous on the Fayne is a top pairing guy, and is worth 5 million, but I am extremely happy with the signing. Pouilot is now ours, Gagner was traded for a 3rd liner, who isnt cheap. Grabovski is still out there, and Booth isnt really needed any more

CanadianDestroyer

Oct 3, 2006
Edmonton
I like this signing, it was about time someone the Oilers were talking to agreed to signing a damn contract (yeah, still bitter over all those years until Tambellini where FAs seemed to be going "lol" even though the money was good). Nikitin and Fayne is going to make an adequate blueline, certainly better than what the Oilers have had recently.

So far, giving top marks to MacT because he's making all the right moves and understanding where the problem areas are. If we are in the playoff hunt come March and get squeaked out (even if it means 9 years in a row) I will consider this season a success.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
No top pairing just roll three pairing's about equal minutes imo. (Nikitin/Schultz PP, Fayne,Ference,Petry,Marincin PK) See what we have in our young guys in the next couple of seasons. (Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse) I think you could even include Justin Schultz as I can see him improving big time with some better insulation, he's only 23 and has only played 122 games in the league. Defensman seem to round into form around 300 games and Schultz is by far the best guy we have at adding offense already, his defense should come along until he's at least average i'd imagine, he's a smart player.

Marincin - Fayne
Nikitin - Petry
Ference - J Schultz
Klefbom
Nurse

That still looks like one of the worst group of D in the league for next season.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
That still looks like one of the worst group of D in the league for next season.

Well when you put it like that...LOL

It's nothing amazing but it's a major upgrade. Dallas is making the playoffs with a Dcore I wouldn't label as much better than that. If our forward group wasn't so lopsided where only one line is scoring most of the time (usually 1st or just Perron), we'd be much better off.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

You're talking NHL? If so, you have no idea what an NHL defence looks like. This will be a very good defence, about middle of the road in the league.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I like this signing, it was about time someone the Oilers were talking to agreed to signing a damn contract (yeah, still bitter over all those years until Tambellini where FAs seemed to be going "lol" even though the money was good). Nikitin and Fayne is going to make an adequate blueline, certainly better than what the Oilers have had recently.

So far, giving top marks to MacT because he's making all the right moves and understanding where the problem areas are. If we are in the playoff hunt come March and get squeaked out (even if it means 9 years in a row) I will consider this season a success.
If we just miss, I think that would convince a few more big names to sign here because of what Chicago and Pittsburgh have accomplished.

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
You're talking NHL? If so, you have no idea what an NHL defence looks like. This will be a very good defence, about middle of the road in the league.

I hope you're right, but I still strongly believe they will be our downfall if there isn't an upgrade. And yes, I have a very good idea what an NHL D looks like. The Oilers haven't had one for years, and with no top pairing D again this year, it still looks bad.

OVOXO*

If we can get Boychuk, I'll be happy, but I doubt we can afford it with the Pouliot signing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
This signing is a steal. I thought he'd get 4.5-5 per year. Awesome signing. He'll anchor a top 4 pairing for years to come.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
This is the exact kind of player we needed. A calming presence on the back end due to his consistency and reliability. Honestly, now all we're missing is that #1 dman.

Marincin-Fayne
Nikitin-Petry
Ference-J Schultz
Aulie

honestly that doesn't look that bad

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I don't wanna sound like a downer but what I'm reading about Fayne reminds be EXACTLY of Nick Schultz... Please hockey gods, no

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
I don't wanna sound like a downer but what I'm reading about Fayne reminds be EXACTLY of Nick Schultz... Please hockey gods, no

Schultz was a 27 year old with dominant puck possession numbers coming off the top pairing of a decent team?

Huh.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not really. Schultz in his prime maybe but Fayne is a better player now than Schultz was when we acquired him.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Marincin is for real... (and he looked remarkably good last season... by a good margin their best dman)... then the team takes a small step up defensively imo.

Adding Aulie and Nikitin are very average moves on D. Fayne was a very solid acquisition.

It all comes down to how they all gel together... hopefully we get some of that "more than the sum of the parts" going on because on paper, as a whole the defense only looks very marginally better than last season.

Last summer going into the season I had the team D pegged as bottom 4 in the NHL... this year they may be a spot or two better than that.

If the goaltending is solid and the forwards actually play as well as they can (instead of almost everyone underperforming last season)... this team can take at least a small step forward.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
Devils fan here. Just wanted to let you know that Mark Fayne is an outstanding signing for you guys. He will give you 20+ minutes a night of mistake free hockey. The guy brings a calming effect to the ice every time that he is out there and is the definition of consistency. Mark will never blow you away with his abilities but if you're a knowledgeable hockey fan then you will be a huge Mark Fayne fan. He's got size but he isn't overly physical, he gets it done with his positioning and stick work. He isn't known for offensive ability but a majority of us Devil fans think that there is some untapped offensive potential when it comes Fayne, so don't be surprised if he has a 30+ point season especially if you give him power play time, I know I won't. Obviously the offensive aspect isn't guaranteed but one thing you'll appreciate with Fayne is his ability to pinch. He's one of the best defenseman I have ever seen when it comes to stepping up and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Hell be great when it comes to keeping the play alive for your young offensive talent to get their chances and put the puck in the net. Like I said before this is a great signing for you guys and he should be exactly what you need. I would not be surprised if people look back on this signing in a few years as one of the best of this off season. I hope I don't get your hopes up but this guy should not disappoint at all, I'm that confident in his abilities and a majority of Devil's fans feel the same way. I probably didn't tell you guys anything you didn't I know yet but I felt the need to put in my 2 cents in on the matter. Good luck to ya.

Last edited:

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005
Devils fane here. Just wanted to let you know that Mark Fayne is an outstanding signing for you guys. He will give you 20+ minutes a night of mistake free hockey. The guy brings a calming effect to the ice every time that he is out there and is the definition of consistency. Mark will never blow you away with his abilities but if you're a knowledgeable hockey fan then you will be a huge Mark Fayne fan. He's got size but he isn't overly physical, he gets it done with his positioning and stick work. He isn't known for offensive ability but a majority of us Devil fans think that there is some untapped offensive potential when it comes Fayne, so don't be surprised if he has a 30+ point season especially if you give him power play time, I know I won't. Obviously the offensive aspect isn't guaranteed but one thing you'll appreciate with Fayne is his ability to pinch. He's one of the best defenseman I have ever seen when it comes to stepping up and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. Hell be great when it comes to keeping the play alive for your young offensive talent to get their chances and put the puck in the net. Like I said before this is a great signing for you guys and he should be exactly what you need. I would not be surprised if people look back on this signing in a few years as one of the best of this off season. I hope I don't get your hopes up but this guy should not disappoint at all, I'm that confident in his abilities and a majority of Devil's fans feel the same way. I probably didn't tell you guys anything you didn't I know yet but I felt the need to put in my 2 cents in on the matter. Good luck to ya.

Thanks for the update. Appreciate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad