Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign LHD Markus Niemelainen (3rd round pick #63OA of 2016 Draft) To a 2 Year ELC

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
On the other hand would you rather have a puck mover or a defensively reliably guy to play with Barrie on the 3rd pair? Niemelainen is probably a better option than Koekkoek-Barrie or Russell-Barrie anyways.
I think Russell playing 3rd pairing time with Barrie is probably our best option.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Good point about the positioning; however, his zone outs have been cringey. I don't think he's passed it out on the tape to a forward since he's started. Boards and out or missed passed for icing/turnover.

Having said that l, compared to Broberg and Lagesson, he's the most NHL ready.

Sutton is a great comp, but does he fight?

My worry is if he can't skate the puck out of move the puck out he isn't going to get a lot of games when this club is healthy.

Sure his skillset is nice, but if he can't move the puck that kind of goes against what type of team Holland/Tippett were trying to make.

I feel there are people coming into this thread and literally just making stuff up to suit their narrative.

So far anyways his skating and passing have looked good. If you have not seen him make a tape to tape pass yet you are A. Blind, B. Have not watched the games, or C. exaggerating for some reason.

This kid isn't a bright Shiney prospect with even top 3 upside but right now he is skating, passing, and of course hitting like a guy who belongs in the nhl.

I have seen zero offense but his defensive game (which includes skating and passing in spades) has been good.

I'm not a fan of his. If anything I hated the pick as yet another LD. Disliked his progression prior to watching him play in the nhl... But he deserves credit for his nhl stint to date. Who knows if he can keep it up but right now he is clearly the best option for our 3rd LD slot by a significant margin.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I have officially decided to give up on my hopes of winning a playoff series this season and will instead look for a positive outlet to express my frustration. I am now a Markus Niemelainen stan and my new reason to watch the Oilers is to see Markus break the single season hits per game and possibly hits record.

Reactions: ujju2

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I'm now trying to go to bed earlier so I couldn't watch this game either, but according to the EJ Niemelainen had a pretty solid game:

The kid got caught in no-man’s land on the 2-0. Managed 2 hits. I saw him challenged to contain a strong bunch of Leafs skaters, but he mostly bent and didn’t break. Ended up 9-6, 60% CF 5v5. The 3 rd pairing of Niemalainen and Barrie had a reasonable outing over-all.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad