Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign LHD Markus Niemelainen (3rd round pick #63OA of 2016 Draft) To a 2 Year ELC

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Interesting. I thought he would have been long gone.

Hasn't done much overseas. Had a career high 7 points in 55 games in the Liiga this year.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
He’s 6’6 and can skate well. I have time for him, he’s likely a bottom pairing AHLer/top pairing ECHLer at this point.

I have time for him right now as he’s only 21. Looks like a man already at 21. He better start developing more of a mean streak in him though if he wants to have any sort of semblance of a career in NA.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
RELEASE: Oilers sign Niemelainen to entry-level contract

I liked what I saw of him initially in rookie camp but then he didn't find traction at the CHL level. He's pretty big and can skate pretty well, so I don't mind this at all.
He was great at that first rookie camp but definitely seemed to struggle after. I remember the year after in Saginaw he was basically babysitting Hronek and letting him take all the offensive chances so the numbers were a bit deceiving. From what I heard this last year he took a really big step in Liiga, really started using his size advantage to become a good shutdown dman. He was near the top in ice time for his team as well.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
The rosters in Edmonton and Bakersfield are filling out nicely. However is it too much to ask for a center or a dman that uses a right hand stick!!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
He’s 6’6 and can skate well. I have time for him, he’s likely a bottom pairing AHLer/top pairing ECHLer at this point.

I have time for him right now as he’s only 21. Looks like a man already at 21. He better start developing more of a mean streak in him though if he wants to have any sort of semblance of a career in NA.

Saw him play a few times last year and did not like what I saw--need to look beyond his height. He can skate but gets beaten around the outside a lot and is not that quick on his feet to adjust his positioning. But that is my short take on what little I saw last year

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The rosters in Edmonton and Bakersfield are filling out nicely. However is it too much to ask for a center or a dman that uses a right hand stick!!
I'm thinking I may need to come out of retirement. I could fill the gap left by Mark Fayne. Big, slow, useless, clueless.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
I'm thinking I may need to come out of retirement. I could fill the gap left by Mark Fayne. Big, slow, useless, clueless.
The only bodies on the 50 man outside Edmonton are Marody and Bouchard(that have a sniff of making NHL). Success going forward depends on depth at RHC and RD.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nicely? They have like 8 LHDs and Bouchard the lone RD

Reactions: fireantz

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I respectively disagree with Jokke's assertion that he took a big step in his development
Because you watched him play x number of games or just stats?
At this point it's an AHL signing. I would rather take a chance on him than keep Lowe, Manning or Day.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I still don't consider that his worse move. Nikitin was his worst one IMO. Now THAT guy was overpaid.

His worst move is clearly neither of these things; spending a bunch of money that was rotting away with no D men available by trade or FA, while a guy with size who had been playing top 4 in Columbus hits the market. Edmonton had the worst D in the league at the time. It was a 2 year deal, right? Short term high money, would you rather he sit on his hands like Chiarelli and just let the D suck/ have the team lose and save Katz money? At least there was a chance it could help. He inherited the worst D ever.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Logan Day will likely be resigned. He is a right D.
They need a mentor not MAB 2.0. We also have Desharnais who is nothing more than a potential Ahl 3Rd. It appears Phil Kemp staying in NCAA means he is reluctant to play here. Trade bait throw in to eastern USA?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
There is no real ahl thread I don't believe so this may as well go here.

Our AHL affiliate has gone from crap to extremely promising to crap all too quickly.

A signing like this is a long shot gamble at best and shows the farm is in dire straights.

Bouchard should be in the nhl full time by the end of this year at the latest. If they manage to move Russell that means even Laggesson will likely be a 7/8 guy and with the team.

Take away Yamamoto, Bouchard, Bear, and Jones... Ouch.

Only leave second teir prospects Benson, McLeod, Maxismov, maybe Lavoie, and Samourukov to anchor a team with no depth, experience, or possobke nhl talent beyond those listed. Maybe Marody can up his Game?

Anyways. Things are looking extremely rough for the Condors next season. If there is one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad