Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jonas Gustavsson (1 Year, 800k)

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He seems to have almost no lateral movement. Some of his highlights are lucky lunging stick saves after going down in the butterfly and leaving the entire net open.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I may have to reverse my original opinion of this signing.
I thought initially it was a decent value signing but Gustavsson is very underwhelming by all reports. Even his numbers are bad for a backup goalie. Little wonder he cant stick with a team.

If Talbot plays any less than 60 games the team could be in trouble.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I may have to reverse my original opinion of this signing.
I thought initially it was a decent value signing but Gustavsson is very underwhelming by all reports. Even his numbers are bad for a backup goalie. Little wonder he cant stick with a team.

If Talbot plays any less than 60 games the team could be in trouble.

I think the oilers are still quite high on LB. Wouldn't be surprised if by midseason it's him in the backup role and gustavsson down on the farm.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
pretty sure Oilers\Chia looked at more than the highlights when they scouted him to be the backup for Talbot.
Lets wait and see what we have before judging his game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think the oilers are still quite high on LB. Wouldn't be surprised if by midseason it's him in the backup role and gustavsson down on the farm.

Could be although LB is a risk as well...he is very green.
I guess thats my issue with the signing...its a very high risk move which is something the old management team did all the time.

Poor judgement IMO.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Rask had a bit of a rough year as well though, since he is considered elite. He was very up and down. That tells me that the Bruins might have bad goalie support. So, maybe Gustavsson is a bit better than his numbers indicate, and it's not like he had awful numbers in Boston

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
For me he's a very average back up but does have decent NHL experience in that role.

I think this signing is more about creating competition for Broissoit where he has to battle a guy who has that experience but isn't a top end back up who's a lock for 20-25 games a year. If Broissoit comes to camp prepared and has a strong pre season he could easily snatch that job. Gustavsson is just here to be a semi competent back up and give Broissoit that competition and confidence boost to develop. Beating out a guy with decent NHL experience for a job would be a big shot in the arm to start the season.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
For me he's a very average back up but does have decent NHL experience in that role.

I think this signing is more about creating competition for Broissoit where he has to battle a guy who has that experience but isn't a top end back up who's a lock for 20-25 games a year. If Broissoit comes to camp prepared and has a strong pre season he could easily snatch that job. Gustavsson is just here to be a semi competent back up and give Broissoit that competition and confidence boost to develop. Beating out a guy with decent NHL experience for a job would be a big shot in the arm to start the season.

I bet Montoya would have signed here if the confidence wasn't in Broissoit. Easier to get someone who can be pushed down to the AHL if required.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
According to reports from people who have seen Gus play there is cause for concern about his game.

Here is one such report....

http://oilersnation.com/2016/7/13/what-will-we-get-from-the-monster-a-look-at-jonas-gustavsson

Gustavsson is also what I refer to as an 'early butterly' goaltender, which is what it is. He likes to drop just a few seconds before the shot is actually released, giving the shooter - if they're paying attention for it - time to redirect their shot. He's an early decision-maker, almost to a fault; combined with his depth inconsistencies, that's what took the highly hyped Monster and made it clear that he'll likely never be more than a career backup.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
what's the big deal even if Gustavsson is bad though? We can make trades and additions mid season if it isn't working out.

Ladra

Jan 29, 2011
what's the big deal even if Gustavsson is bad though? We can make trades and additions mid season if it isn't working out.

Well that is a bit of a carte blanch, considering what we have been through the last ten years.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Well that is a bit of a carte blanch, considering what we have been through the last ten years.

The main thing is having a good starter, and we have that in Talbot. He's the best we've had since Roloson. As for Gustavsson, I say that it's okay if he's bad but that doesn't mean I think he will be. He's a good guy to take a chance on. If it doesn't work out then we don't have to wait until the offseason. There's usually a few interesting goalies out there, and with expansion looming there might be more than usual

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
He seems to have almost no lateral movement. Some of his highlights are lucky lunging stick saves after going down in the butterfly and leaving the entire net open.

Sounds like Luongo, who gets it done regardless.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
According to reports from people who have seen Gus play there is cause for concern about his game.

Here is one such report....

http://oilersnation.com/2016/7/13/what-will-we-get-from-the-monster-a-look-at-jonas-gustavsson

Meh. Early butterflying isn't really a thing. That's just what happens as a butterfly goalie. If you wait until after the shooter shoots, it's often too late

Sounds like Luongo, who gets it done regardless.

The thing about Luongo is that he does exceptionally well with his positioning. You don't need to move much if you're in the right place.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I would have preferred Kari Ramo to be hoenst, but who knows how that knee injury rehab goes.

Oildrum

Jan 22, 2013
Well the bar isn't set very high for him at backup. He can't possibly be worse than Brossoit was last year.... Can he?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Meh. Early butterflying isn't really a thing. That's just what happens as a butterfly goalie. If you wait until after the shooter shoots, it's often too late

The thing about Luongo is that he does exceptionally well with his positioning. You don't need to move much if you're in the right place.

That's pretty much the key to it. A goal whose major strength is positioning will do well in this league.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
They want Brossoit to compete for the backup job in camp and even if he doesn't win it then they will still want him playing games in the NHL at some point during the season. A more expensive backup likely wouldn't want to come here under those circumstances. Also Gustavsson is cheap enough that if Brossoit wins the job and Gustavsson clears waivers he won't count against the camp.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Meh. Chia had no problem acquiring/moving backup goalies last season, so I trust him to do the same this season if Gustafsson/Brossoit don't pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad