Confirmed with Link: Oilers Sign Jonas Gustavsson (1 Year, 800k)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Wouldn't be surprised if he knows Finnish as well for Puljujarvi's sake. The languages are very similar.

Swedish and Norwegian are very similar. Finnish isn't even from the same language group.

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
Fine with the signing. Johnson was double the price, and he was my number 1 choice, saving some cap on a backup is fine with me. Glad were not relying on LB going into next year.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
yikes Gustavson...
good luck with that.
I hope the Oilers land a big goalie I think they can improve broadly just by better goal tending.
After trading hall for Larsson maybe they'll trade McDavid for Bishop (joking)

Got to love it when a clueless fan of another organization comes in here not knowing he situation.

We are perfectly fine with a guy named Cam Talbot.

GojuLeaf

May 3, 2010
Got to love it when a clueless fan of another organization comes in here not knowing he situation.

We are perfectly fine with a guy named Cam Talbot.

Hey, no need to call me clueless.
I know I had the monster on my team and he wasn't that good. Didn't seem that good on the wings either.
Surprised oil fans are all in on talbot being a #1 though.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I know I had the monster on my team and he wasn't that good. Didn't seem that good on the wings either.

Apology on behalf of other fans rudeness.

Talbot is a #1, and was exceptional last year behind a very bad team. The Oilers would have easily finished last again without Talbot in net. That said, I never like the idea of overworking goalies but McLellan is very much a one goalie guy and between him and Chia I'm sure they don't see much of a need for a solid backup.

I do question going hard with one goalie, Talbots only fallbacks last year occurred through overuse. When he was simply seeing too many pucks in too many games. Let me emphasize that Oilers see a ton of rubber.

Theres no way we should be expecting 70 games out of Talbot. I don't think it wise for any team to do that really and what used to be considered untenable is for some reason occurring so regularly. To the detriment of goalies around the league. A top goalie should be seeing around 50- 60 games and that's what it used to be. Now they're much more likely to be getting shellshocked with 70 or so games. Doesn't make it right. I could right a book on this but orgs, coaches, are leveraging every drop they can out of goalies trying to eke out results. Which results in a lot of #1 being exhausted come playoff time. (Quick for example) This also greatly hampers backup goalie development as teams run starters ragged.

I believe that this one goalie trend is cap related. Teams spend big on their starter and find whatever they can fill with the backups. Can't believe how casually the most important position in hockey is treated.

next, look at teams that had success in playoffs. Pittsburgh went all the way with their backup. SJ went all the way with Jones who was able to handle the load because it was the first time ever. Don't expect him to be able to do it twice. Tampa, Bishop gets injured and thus Vasi comes in (solid 1/2)

I would never leverage the farm on one adequate goalie. Oilers fans more than anybody should know the results of that.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Wouldn't be surprised if he knows Finnish as well for Puljujarvi's sake. The languages are very similar.

As a Swede I would be amazed if he somehow knew Swedish. I have never met a Swede speaking Finnish. Lots of Finns speak Swedish though since it was mandatory in school for a long time. Nowadays though I think English is back as 1st second language in Finnish school.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
Gives LB a bit of breathing room and gives us a small-fry goalie in the meantime. Not ideal but a cheap stopgap is ok. Not that this makes it any better, but I think Gustavsson is lateral to Scrivens.

Chia is putting a lot of faith in Talbot this year, I like it.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee

Surprised by what? The fact he was our #1 goalie last year and besides a pretty shaky start was one of our best player all year with McDavid?

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Apology on behalf of other fans rudeness.

Talbot is a #1, and was exceptional last year behind a very bad team. The Oilers would have easily finished last again without Talbot in net. That said, I never like the idea of overworking goalies but McLellan is very much a one goalie guy and between him and Chia I'm sure they don't see much of a need for a solid backup.

I do question going hard with one goalie, Talbots only fallbacks last year occurred through overuse. When he was simply seeing too many pucks in too many games. Let me emphasize that Oilers see a ton of rubber.

Theres no way we should be expecting 70 games out of Talbot. I don't think it wise for any team to do that really and what used to be considered untenable is for some reason occurring so regularly. To the detriment of goalies around the league. A top goalie should be seeing around 50- 60 games and that's what it used to be. Now they're much more likely to be getting shellshocked with 70 or so games. Doesn't make it right. I could right a book on this but orgs, coaches, are leveraging every drop they can out of goalies trying to eke out results. Which results in a lot of #1 being exhausted come playoff time. (Quick for example) This also greatly hampers backup goalie development as teams run starters ragged.

I believe that this one goalie trend is cap related. Teams spend big on their starter and find whatever they can fill with the backups. Can't believe how casually the most important position in hockey is treated.

next, look at teams that had success in playoffs. Pittsburgh went all the way with their backup. SJ went all the way with Jones who was able to handle the load because it was the first time ever. Don't expect him to be able to do it twice. Tampa, Bishop gets injured and thus Vasi comes in (solid 1/2)

I would never leverage the farm on one adequate goalie. Oilers fans more than anybody should know the results of that.

The one thing with Gustavsson is he's more of an insulator for Brossoit than a full time backup for Talbot.

He was in a similar spot in Detroit, when they had Howard as the go to guy and Mrazek breaking into the league. If I had to call it now Talbot will get about 50-55, Gustavsson about 15-25, and Brossoit the remainder depending on everyone's level of play. Basically the 13-14 Wings.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yep, I think they fully expect Brossoit to win the backup job, and they just took out the cheapest reasonable insurance option they could find.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007

That's like expecting an American to speak Spanish because they're right next to Mexico. That's how similar the languages are. Actually.

Kerricthebig

Jovial Imbecile
Nov 9, 2011
With the changes coming up regarding goalie equipment there is practically no method of knowing who will react well to the change, who will acclimate within a reasonable amount of time, and who will fail spectacularly. I think that this is why there are so many 1-2 year under 1M backup goalies hired on this season.

I won't be surprised if the playoffs will have at least 3 teams who should be there that don't make it in purely on the back of this alteration.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
The more I think about it, the more I like Gustavsson.
LB can play as many games as he earns without any pressure on him or Talbot.

The qualified backups won't come here because they want to maximize their games.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
That's like expecting an American to speak Spanish because they're right next to Mexico. That's how similar the languages are. Actually.

Even less. At least English and Spanish are both Indo-European. Finnish is Uralic. It would have been more "reasonable" to expect a Baltic player to know Finnish as opposed to a Swede.

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
I like the Monster. He did pretty well in Detroit. But from what I remember he struggled with injuries a lot.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
God no. LB was borderline Scrivens level last year

Untitled.jpg

he was playing soooo small in net it was almost absurd

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I like the Gustavsson signing tbh. He's a battler that doesn't give up on pucks, moves well for a big man, and he doesn't use very oversized equipment like some goalies so I don't think the equipment changes will be an issue for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad