Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Filip Berglund to a 2-year ELC

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Is this a good thing? If so, why?

Asking 'cause I know jack shit about hockey at this point.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
He's still signed in Sweden next year, isn't he?

He just signed a two year deal with Linkoping over there. He could still come over if he wanted to though.

Matty reported that he was going to be playing in Sweden next season even with this contract, but not sure if that's just Matty being Matty.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Is this a good thing? If so, why?

Asking 'cause I know jack shit about hockey at this point.

Yup. Berglund seems promising.

He was playing seconding pairing minutes on Skelleftea(same team as Broberg) this year and put up 20 points in 52 games.

I'm not overly familiar with him, but stylistically, he seems like a right-handed Klefbom. Just a solid all-around defenseman with a plus shot.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He just signed a two year deal with Linkoping over there. He could still come over if he wanted to though.

Matty reported that he was going to be playing in Sweden next season even with this contract, but not sure if that's just Matty being Matty.

Can you have a contract with two different teams at the same time?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Can you have a contract with two different teams at the same time?

Yup. I think most of the leagues in the main IIHF countries have transfer agreements, so players can move freely between the NHL and their league, but NHL teams have to pay a transfer fee to that country's hockey program when they bring a player over.

Russia is the only one that doesn't, I believe. Players there have to buyout the rest of their contract if they're under contract and want to leave.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It's odd because I found an article from 6 days ago saying that he was signed so I wonder what took so long to announce it.

Anyway, happy to see this as I was worried that they wouldn't sign him. The little I watched of him, he can move around pretty well and has some good offensive instinct. He and Broberg actually looked pretty good as a pair from the few games I watched. Him being right handed is a nice bonus.

Reactions: KYams17

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It's odd because I found an article from 6 days ago saying that he was signed so I wonder what took so long to announce it.

Anyway, happy to see this as I was worried that they wouldn't sign him. The little I watched of him, he can move around pretty well and has some good offensive instinct. He and Broberg actually looked pretty good as a pair from the few games I watched. Him being right handed is a nice bonus.

This just happened a few days ago (NHL extends player development agreements).

That might have been slowing things down.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Yup. Berglund seems promising.

He was playing seconding pairing minutes on Skelleftea(same team as Broberg) this year and put up 20 points in 52 games.

I'm not overly familiar with him, but stylistically, he seems like a right-handed Klefbom. Just a solid all-around defenseman with a plus shot.

Thanks for the irundown.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
To me this is Holland just wanting to evaluate the prospects in the system further. Niemelainen was essentially written off I believe after he hasn’t overly progressed since his draft, Berglund has some upside but isn’t a must keep prospect either. I think Holland doesn’t want to run into another situation like Marino where he isn’t overly familiar with a prospect and they walk and succeed elsewhere. Even though Marino was probably going to walk for nothing anyways, I’d bet Holland wishes he got a better scouting report on him

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Loaned to Skelleftea for next season.
Hopefully Holland strongly asked them to pair Broberg-Berglund together next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad