Confirmed with Link: Oilers sign Filip Berglund to a 2-year ELC

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
First hockey news I've digested in almost two months :eek:...

Love the signing, love his ambition. Berglund was an offensive D in juniors but in Skelleftea he was moved down due to their depth. I've said before that Skelleftea's D core was the strongest by a bit this season. He's going to Linkoping to get the chance of competing for the top RD spot and PP1, that much is certain.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I'm liking Holland's approach with the Euros. He's taking advantage of development minutes over there, and also staggering their waiver eligibility vs. guys coming out of the NA leagues.

Haas, Nygard, Lennstrom, and Berglund (Plus Persson too, but that wasn't his signing) were all established pros in their mid-20's before signing here, and all of them are/were able to easily bemoved between the NHL and AHL depending on need; not something you'd get with AHL vets. Thus the team is able to rely on established professionals as their 13/14/15 forwards vs. guys that have been in pros for only a year or two, or ones they have to risk on waivers to move up or down.

On the young defence, Samorukov now gets to be a focus point in Bakersfield as a 2nd year man, as Jones, Bear, and Lagesson have all graduated; Niemelainen gets to start his NA pro experience after have a few seasons back in Finland to grow his game, now you get to make the final call on him (RE: waivers) when he's 24 vs. 22; and Broberg gets the same situation as Samorukov, but with Skelleftea.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yup. Berglund seems promising.

He was playing seconding pairing minutes on Skelleftea(same team as Broberg) this year and put up 20 points in 52 games.

I'm not overly familiar with him, but stylistically, he seems like a right-handed Klefbom. Just a solid all-around defenseman with a plus shot.

Pretty good size as well.

Outside of Bear, our entire D core could be all 6’3+. Well I guess Jones isn’t 6’3+.

Klefbom, Nurse, Broberg, Bouchard, Samorukov, Berglund, etc. are all 6’3+.

Size isn’t as crucial as it once was but it does still matter, especially in the playoffs against increased physicality.

I really think we have the potential to have a top 10 caliber D core in the next 2-3 years. Lots of size and skill in on our backend. Our D pipeline and outlook hasn’t been this good in the last 25ish years or so with the exception of when we had Pronger carrying our D core.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad