Speculation: Oilers Shopping 10th Overall?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
OTT out: Karlsson & Ryan
OTT in: Timmins, Kerfoot, Sekera, OTT 2019 1st & EDM 2019 1st

Hoff - Duchene - White
Kerfoot - Brown - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Gaborik*
Burrows - Smith - Batherson
( Formenton / Chlapik )

Chabot - Ceci
Sekera - Timmins
Claesson - Boqvist
( Harpur / Wideman )

Andy / Gus

EDM out: Draisaitl, Sekera & 2019 1st
EDM in: Karlsson & Andrighetto

JVR - McDavid - Andrighetto
Tkachuk - RNH - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Yamamoto - Strome
UFA PKer - Khaira - Kassian

Klef - Karlsson
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
( Bear )

Talbot

COL out: Timmins, Andrighetto, Kerfoot & OTT 1st
COL in: Draisaitl & Ryan

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Jost - Draisaitl - Ryan
Nieto - Soderberg - Wilson
Greer - Kamenev - Compher
( Gork / Toni )

Peacock - T Boobs
Samwise - Kondor
Barbie - Alt/'loche

Varly / Bernie

Boom

Lol yeah okay Colorado pulls in Draisaitl for a bunch of B assets and futures. Sure thing bud.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
OTT out: Karlsson & Ryan
OTT in: Timmins, Kerfoot, Sekera, OTT 2019 1st & EDM 2019 1st

Hoff - Duchene - White
Kerfoot - Brown - Stone
Dzingel - Pageau - Gaborik*
Burrows - Smith - Batherson
( Formenton / Chlapik )

Chabot - Ceci
Sekera - Timmins
Claesson - Boqvist
( Harpur / Wideman )

Andy / Gus

EDM out: Draisaitl, Sekera & 2019 1st
EDM in: Karlsson & Andrighetto

JVR - McDavid - Andrighetto
Tkachuk - RNH - Puljujarvi
Lucic - Yamamoto - Strome
UFA PKer - Khaira - Kassian

Klef - Karlsson
Nurse - Larsson
Russell - Benning
( Bear )

Talbot

COL out: Timmins, Andrighetto, Kerfoot & OTT 1st
COL in: Draisaitl & Ryan

Landy - MacK - Mikko
Jost - Draisaitl - Ryan
Nieto - Soderberg - Wilson
Greer - Kamenev - Compher
( Gork / Toni )

Peacock - T Boobs
Samwise - Kondor
Barbie - Alt/'loche

Varly / Bernie

Boom
Too much out, not enough in for Edmonton. Not sure how Colorado gets Draisaitl with that package. If Karlsson is going to Edmonton, and Draisaitl is on the table, there is literally zero need to include the Avalanche in the deal.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
why not sign Mike Green? Myers might be available due to cap reasons from the Jets (not worth a top 10 pick obviously)
Signing Green might be an option too. It's not like he said the only option is trading the pick for a defenseman.

He'll somehow trade that pick for a blueliner. Then he'll flip Klefbom for a scoring winger and expect it all to be enough to make the team great.

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah **** let’s back up the god damn Brinks truck of young talent for a year of Karlsson who then wants 10 mil plus.

No no no no no. You can overpay in acquisition cost or you can overpay in cap hit. If you do both you’re an idiot.

Wow great news! McDavid is making 10M+, teams will be thrilled to know they don't have to overpay to acquire him.

A top 4D, two top prospects that the Oilers will probably ruin, and 4th overall for the best defenseman in the league? Even if you feel it's an overpayment do you actually think the Oilers of all teams is going to land a #1D without overpaying? Did you forget they gave up this year Hart winner for a top 4D?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Too much out, not enough in for Edmonton. Not sure how Colorado gets Draisaitl with that package. If Karlsson is going to Edmonton, and Draisaitl is on the table, there is literally zero need to include the Avalanche in the deal.

If Ottawa trades Karlsson and embraces the rebuild that pick of theirs that we have could be very high. And if Melnyk is going to convince the fanbase to show up, having their pick after what could be a rough year would help ticket sales a lot I'd imagine. It would also require Ottawa to view Timmins similarly to how we viewed Girard a year ago. Where yes they weren't super high picks, but they were very high end prospects who were just shy of bluechip status. Plus we're there because Melnyk seems attached to the idea of sabotaging Karlsson's value with Scissorhands' contract, and we're sending out two cheap young top 9ers, one of whom would absolutely kill it next to McDavid like he did next to MacK n Mikko last year.

So we're there for cap reasons, because we have Ottawa's pick right as they're supposed to be starting their rebuild, and because we have cheap young talent to send out in return for the money we are taking on...i.e. we could take on the Sekera/Russell contract if Ottawa doesn't want one of them to help their young dmen break in

Personally, I'd probably still do it with Timmins & Kerfoot getting replaced by Barrie (with money retained) if Ottawa wanted a less future-focused package which had the talent coming in more concentrated in fewer pieces, but young NHLers and near NHLers seemed more the direction they're looking after what Melnyk's been saying and Kerf just finished a nifty rookie year while Timmins is close to cracking the NHL and would make a great partner for Chabot stylistically.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wow great news! McDavid is making 10M+, teams will be thrilled to know they don't have to overpay to acquire him.

A top 4D, two top prospects that the Oilers will probably ruin, and 4th overall for the best defenseman in the league? Even if you feel it's an overpayment do you actually think the Oilers of all teams is going to land a #1D without overpaying? Did you forget they gave up this year Hart winner for a top 4D?

‘Edmonton was stupid before so obviously they need to be stupid forever until the heat death of the universe’

Or how about

‘Massively overpaying for defensive upgrades has gone super well before why not empty an already barren prospect pipeline for a player Edmonton can’t reasonably afford long term’

And our first is 9th overall right now.

You’re also out of your mind if you think Karlsson is the best defenceman in the league right now. He’s not even top 5 this season.

It’s very Oilers to trade for a guy with zero term whose best years might be behind him tho.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Subban for Hall + 4OA isn't so crazy now is it?

That trade, at the time, was rumored to be Drai+ 4oa+ Klefbom+ more, which was insanely high. Not that I wouldn’t have pulled the trigger then, as I drooled over the potential of having subban on the oilers, but that was before Drai broke out too.

Reactions: me2

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
He didn’t want to come to Edmonton 2 years ago, why would he come now?
Well, they did actually make the playoffs since then, and had a nice run at that. Also, he signed up to be on a playoff team, and instead has 3 years on a rebuild. Again, I actually want him to stick around, but I wouldn't put it past management to move him for the right offer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If Ottawa trades Karlsson and embraces the rebuild that pick of theirs that we have could be very high. And if Melnyk is going to convince the fanbase to show up, having their pick after what could be a rough year would help ticket sales a lot I'd imagine. It would also require Ottawa to view Timmins similarly to how we viewed Girard a year ago. Where yes they weren't super high picks, but they were very high end prospects who were just shy of bluechip status. Plus we're there because Melnyk seems attached to the idea of sabotaging Karlsson's value with Scissorhands' contract, and we're sending out two cheap young top 9ers, one of whom would absolutely kill it next to McDavid like he did next to MacK n Mikko last year.

So we're there for cap reasons, because we have Ottawa's pick right as they're supposed to be starting their rebuild, and because we have cheap young talent to send out in return for the money we are taking on...i.e. we could take on the Sekera/Russell contract if Ottawa doesn't want one of them to help their young dmen break in

Personally, I'd probably still do it with Timmins & Kerfoot getting replaced by Barrie (with money retained) if Ottawa wanted a less future-focused package which had the talent coming in more concentrated in fewer pieces, but young NHLers and near NHLers seemed more the direction they're looking after what Melnyk's been saying and Kerf just finished a nifty rookie year while Timmins is close to cracking the NHL and would make a great partner for Chabot stylistically.
And after all of this explanation, you still have yet to convince that all of those parts would be more valuable to Ottawa than Leon Draisaitl.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
Barrie makes the most sense, puck moving RHD, right age, huge production, won’t cost an insane amount like OEL or EK (in assets or dollars), Edmonton has been in on him for years, and he’s a Western Canadian guy. A deal of futures for Barrie, then sending those futures + other futures (mainly Ottawa’s 2019 1st) to Ottawa to get Karlsson in Colorado has been my preferred deal for awhile now. If Karlsson has to go, I would think that 2019 1st is extremely valuable to the sens so they avoid an embarrassing Kessel situation with the Duchene trade.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
We;ll, the obvious ones have been talked about to death around here (OEL, Karlsson, Faulk, etc) and are unlikely. I'd be interested to hear other people's options for different guys who could be out there.

If the Oilers are giving up likely pick #8 or #9 then they have to do better than Justin Faulk. He's simply not worth that high of a pick on his own. A package deal of some players and lower picks with him for that and something from the Oilers would be acceptable to me.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Would Edmonton take back Ryan & send Ottawa Leon?
Doubtful. Karlsson would have to agree to a contract extension before Leon would be included at all, and it would need to be pretty team friendly if we were taking on a bad contract with it. Maybe if Ottawa took one of our overpaid guys in return, like Sekera, or something like that.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I would think that 2019 1st is extremely valuable to the sens so they avoid an embarrassing Kessel situation with the Duchene trade.

I have to agree. In all reality it's probably in the Sens best interest to trade Duchene if he gets no indication he will resign, but with that 2019 first it's hard to make any moves that will hurt your team

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Barrie makes the most sense, puck moving RHD, right age, huge production, won’t cost an insane amount like OEL or EK (in assets or dollars), Edmonton has been in on him for years, and he’s a Western Canadian guy. A deal of futures for Barrie, then sending those futures + other futures (mainly Ottawa’s 2019 1st) to Ottawa to get Karlsson in Colorado has been my preferred deal for awhile now. If Karlsson has to go, I would think that 2019 1st is extremely valuable to the sens so they avoid an embarrassing Kessel situation with the Duchene trade.

I have a hard time seeing Sakic actually trade Barrie after this season. You don't just up n trade your MVP-candidate's BFF who he has unreal chemistry with and who's coming off a great season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad