Pre-Game Talk: Oilers ship sinking fast. They need an Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Nurse has looked really good ever since his minutes have been reduced. He is still our #1 D in minutes but he's just not a 28 minute a night D

The problem is that since the extra minutes have gone to other D and exposed them.

There's no trade out there for us, and personally I'd rather not look to trade Nurse. Like you say, we would be getting someone with question marks themselves, and since we can't know how they would gel with our team, it might end up being much worse than Nurse. So, the best route here is to find out what Nurse needs to succeed, and it's looking like repairing our defensive depth is the answer.
I’m not big on Chychrun, but what about Gavrikov, or Gudas? Not a 2-3, but how about Schenn for depth? To help bolster the lower spots that are receiving that extra ice time from Darnell…

Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Nurse has looked really good ever since his minutes have been reduced. He is still our #1 D in minutes but he's just not a 28 minute a night D

The problem is that since the extra minutes have gone to other D and exposed them.

There's no trade out there for us, and personally I'd rather not look to trade Nurse. Like you say, we would be getting someone with question marks themselves, and since we can't know how they would gel with our team, it might end up being much worse than Nurse. So, the best route here is to find out what Nurse needs to succeed, and it's looking like repairing our defensive depth is the answer.

This is why I can't primarily blame Woodcroft.

If a coach has no option but to play one guy to death to prevent any of your other weak D from getting on the ice ... that's a management team construction issue, not a coaching issue.

Guy is given Bouchard, Broberg to work with, neither of these guys can defend or read plays particularily well and are probably years away from doing so if it ever happens, and then you have Barrie with obvious defensive short comings, Kulak who struggles any time he is bumped up, and Ceci who is overrated and makes his share of mistakes too.

Not a lot of good options there.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I’m not big on Chychrun, but what about Gavrikov, or Gudas? Not a 2-3, but how about Schenn for depth? To help bolster the lower spots that are receiving that extra ice time from Darnell…
I'm definitely biased towards someone defense first like Gavrikov or Schenn. A D who we would put in for D zone faceoffs and PK all the time, or be biased towards if we are trying to shut down another team. It just feels that's the missing element.

Of course Chychrun is the best overall D so I can't be angry if we get him either, especially if he can be a great partner for Bouchard and get him going. I'm also not going to be judgemental if we end up with a different name than most want, even the often-bashed Edmundson. It would be great if we can make a trade soon so if it doesn't work out we could try for someone else at the deadline.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
You can't blame Skinner for last game. He was just fine but the defense let him down. He had no chance on almost every goal.

I am pretty sure I can...

He was unfocussed, created goal out of thin air and overall, trash

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm definitely biased towards someone defense first like Gavrikov or Schenn. A D who we would put in for D zone faceoffs and PK all the time, or be biased towards if we are trying to shut down another team. It just feels that's the missing element.

Of course Chychrun is the best overall D so I can't be angry if we get him either, especially if he can be a great partner for Bouchard and get him going. I'm also not going to be judgemental if we end up with a different name than most want, even the often-bashed Edmundson. It would be great if we can make a trade soon so if it doesn't work out we could try for someone else at the deadline.
Edmundson is an often injured bottom pair defender that the media and some gms think is some legit good top 4 guy because he can be tough a few years ago. I’m fine with him if it’s cause we are moving Kulak and putting him in the bottom pair and paying Kulak prices. But if we are paying a 1st for him that’s not actually improving the team cause he isn’t much of an improvement on any of our guys.

I am pretty sure I can...

He was unfocussed, created goal out of thin air and overall, trash
We lost 5-2, one was an empty netter, hell even if you blame him for 2 of those goals, the team couldn’t put 3 past Martin Jones.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Its clear as sky, or day, ALL of oilers defencemen are over their heads in miniutes. They need to add a top 3 D. Ceci must be a 2nd pair, play below 20 min, and slide Kulak Bouchard down to a 3rd pair on even less min.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

"A player told me Jay Woodcroft, who is usually very calm, tore a strip off the team in the second intermission. He added it was deserved. The players held a players-only meeting yesterday to voice their concerns."

Those are good questions. I think the big thing to realize is that we’re in 2023 now,” said Woodcroft. “So, patience sometimes has an expiration date too. We’re coming up on halfway through this season, so if I go back to what I said to Rob (Tychkowski) about finding a way to win one game, that’s what we’re trying to do. And we’re going to make decisions that follow that line of thinking. The time for waiting for people to get going or maneuvering to try and get this guy going or that guy going, as I said on numerous occasions, we’re trying to use our eyes and reward the people that are truly going.”

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019

"A player told me Jay Woodcroft, who is usually very calm, tore a strip off the team in the second intermission. He added it was deserved. The players held a players-only meeting yesterday to voice their concerns."

Those are good questions. I think the big thing to realize is that we’re in 2023 now,” said Woodcroft. “So, patience sometimes has an expiration date too. We’re coming up on halfway through this season, so if I go back to what I said to Rob (Tychkowski) about finding a way to win one game, that’s what we’re trying to do. And we’re going to make decisions that follow that line of thinking. The time for waiting for people to get going or maneuvering to try and get this guy going or that guy going, as I said on numerous occasions, we’re trying to use our eyes and reward the people that are truly going.”
Good for Woody! Holland needs to send his own message into the room in case there is any doubt that he’s also not enamoured by their performance. The level of performance by the Oilers in the Kracken game was deplorable (not worthy of a junior team). If the thinking is “we’ll be okay when Chychrun or whoever arrives”, it’s a fool’s dream. Because a player will not make a difference when the team as a whole plays so poorly.
Time to press box some stiffs and hard coach the basics.

Reactions: Sanchez

Oilers333

Jul 8, 2022
Islanders are a tight checking team with a great goalie. Exactly the kind of team we struggle mightily with.

Reactions: russ99

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

Maybe wood finally losing his cool will get some messages through. Hopefully.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver

So if true...

- Woodcroft called an in-game timeout that didn't stem the tide and the team subsequently leaked more goals.

- Team did largely nothing in the third period though there was a momentum crushing PP goal called back on off-side.

- Team holds player's only closed door meeting to sort its shit out.

Woodrow has finally reached the stick phase of cajoling this team. It is going to be very interesting to see how this team responds tonight and addresses (or doesn't) the many poor habits in their game. Lots of talk from the coach and players about the sub-par elements of their game which are obvious. Now all are in the do it phase or this season starts to slip, slide.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
So Kostin will be the latest in 4th liners that score some goals with mcdavid and then get signed to overvalued long term contracts?

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was gonna “like” this but I just realized now that I lost my button this morning because someone wants to clean the internet up of mean people. So, thumbs up instead!

👍
R u in trouble again? U want me to call in the heavies?

1672945338969.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
So if true...

- Woodcroft called an in-game timeout that didn't stem the tide and the team subsequently leaked more goals.

- Team did largely nothing in the third period though there was a momentum crushing PP goal called back on off-side.

- Team holds player's only closed door meeting to sort its shit out.

Woodrow has finally reached the stick phase of cajoling this team. It is going to be very interesting to see how this team responds tonight and addresses (or doesn't) the many poor habits in their game. Lots of talk from the coach and players about the sub-par elements of their game which are obvious. Now all are in the do it phase or this season starts to slip, slide.

Season is already halfway down the waterslide to nowhere. It's do or die time. They have utterly gassed a glorious opportunity to be challenging LV for first, but instead have farted away at least a dozen points in blown games and missed opportunity.

At least its a great chance for Holland to keep showing everyone his Legendary Patience (TM) !!!

Reactions: bellagiobob

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You can't blame Skinner for last game. He was just fine but the defense let him down. He had no chance on almost every goal. Yes he's had the odd bad game but for the most part he's given the team a chance to win. Tough to win though when the team is only scoring a few goals a game. Unless he plays like a Vezina goalie that's not on him.

Putting JP on the top line has really screwed things up. Said it for weeks, people here are probably tired of me saying it but I'll keep saying it until he's gone. Throw him on the third or 4th line and put in Kostin or McLeod. Anyone with some speed and remote awareness to give McDavid a chance to be himself. Or better yet, bench JP. He's useless. I'm tired of Woodcroft babying him and keeping a barely NHL player on a top line. He's gone insane at this point. It's the big reason it's costing the team games.
Skinner created 3 of the goals himself by bad deflections on pretty basic shots. His rebound control was abysmal and he didn't compete on any of the rebounds he gave up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce