Pre-Game Talk: Oilers ship sinking fast. They need an Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I’m not big on Chychrun, but what about Gavrikov, or Gudas? Not a 2-3, but how about Schenn for depth? To help bolster the lower spots that are receiving that extra ice time from Darnell…
Word is the Canucks will want a lot for Schenn. Better to spend high value assets and get a two way LD with some term. Gavrikov if he had another year on his deal maybe. There has to be more than Chychrun out there. He has an injury history and I am not sure his skills fill the biggest hole.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Word is the Canucks will want a lot for Schenn. Better to spend high value assets and get a two way LD with some term. Gavrikov if he had another year on his deal maybe. There has to be more than Chychrun out there. He has an injury history and I am not sure his skills fill the biggest hole.
Yes. Luke will be in demand by a number of teams, given how he has brought his game around in the past 18 months. It’s actually a nice story for a good person. I wish him well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Lots of overreacting recently here. I read someone call Woodcroft a nepotism hire. How? He was as far removed as possible from the inner circle and it basically took a lightning in the bottle situation for him to become head coach.

And for people complaining that Yamo is still in the top 6, we only have like 5 (currently 4) true top 6 players and everyone else is vanilla. Gm hasn’t really given many options (same as every other coach in the past 500 years).
Any of Kostin, Nuge, Holloway, Janmark are better options than a player that hasn't scored on a shot in about 9mths. Yama has 2 goals this season, both on deflections, He hasn't scored a goal on a shot, any shot, since last spring. Worse, he has only 35 sog this season while playing exclusively either on 1st or 2nd line. We're halfway through the season. Yama is not getting shots on target, he's not finishing shit, and he's just wasting any line he's in on topsix. He's the cooler every night blowing chances when he even gets them. Normally he's falling down or getting blown up on the boards.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton

"A player told me Jay Woodcroft, who is usually very calm, tore a strip off the team in the second intermission. He added it was deserved. The players held a players-only meeting yesterday to voice their concerns."

Those are good questions. I think the big thing to realize is that we’re in 2023 now,” said Woodcroft. “So, patience sometimes has an expiration date too. We’re coming up on halfway through this season, so if I go back to what I said to Rob (Tychkowski) about finding a way to win one game, that’s what we’re trying to do. And we’re going to make decisions that follow that line of thinking. The time for waiting for people to get going or maneuvering to try and get this guy going or that guy going, as I said on numerous occasions, we’re trying to use our eyes and reward the people that are truly going.”
Probably one of the more frustrating aspects of his coaching this year. Putting Puljujarvi up with McDavid for 30 games in the hope he'll pot a couple of goals, gain confidence, and suddenly be magically cured of all the other glaring issues in his game was never going to work, and all that ended up happening was a player got even more discouraged after initially showing some positive play on the 3rd line early in the season.

He's been playing players out of position all year. Many of these guys need established and defined roles, not "to get going" by being placed in ill-suited or defined roles they can't play up to.

Lets hope the quote is an honest statement of a change going forward rather than just a meaningless soundbite. I'm looking forward to Woodcroft going back to running the roster with a focus on winning like he did last year, rather than attempting to manage under-performing players like he has been doing most of this year.

Reactions: frag2

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Any of Kostin, Nuge, Holloway, Janmark are better options than a player that hasn't scored on a shot in about 9mths. Yama has 2 goals this season, both on deflections, He hasn't scored a goal on a shot, any shot, since last spring. Worse, he has only 35 sog this season while playing exclusively either on 1st or 2nd line. We're halfway through the season. Yama is not getting shots on target, he's not finishing shit, and he's just wasting any line he's in on topsix. He's the cooler every night blowing chances when he even gets them. Normally he's falling down or getting blown up on the boards.
Nuge and Kostin are already in the top 6 so I’m not referring to them. With Puljujarvi (rightfully) out of the top 6 and Kane still injured, we still have one vacant spot (McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Kostin, X).

Holloway has a single goal and Janmark/Yamamoto are tied in points (3-6-9 vs 2-7-9 is hardly a difference). I would say Yamamoto is more defensively capable than either and he’s also the only natural right winger.

Like I said, these ars slim pickings. This is Holland’s magnum opus.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A players only meeting finally happened? That’s good, cause it needed to happen.

Not a fan of the lines, but who cares really they get changed every half of a game.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Season is already halfway down the waterslide to nowhere. It's do or die time. They have utterly gassed a glorious opportunity to be challenging LV for first, but instead have farted away at least a dozen points in blown games and missed opportunity.

At least its a great chance for Holland to keep showing everyone his Legendary Patience (TM) !!!
Totally agree. I was being charitable in my post. Thank goodness there are many teams also sliding down the waterslide to nowhere (haha love it) or the Oilers would be likely already in 'nowhere.' Their home record is an abomination. Too easy to play against, physically and mentally.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge and Kostin are already in the top 6 so I’m not referring to them. With Puljujarvi (rightfully) out of the top 6 and Kane still injured, we still have one vacant spot (McDavid, Draisaitl, Hyman, RNH, Kostin, X).

Holloway has a single goal and Janmark/Yamamoto are tied in points (3-6-9 vs 2-7-9 is hardly a difference). I would say Yamamoto is more defensively capable than either and he’s also the only natural right winger.

Like I said, these ars slim pickings. This is Holland’s magnum opus.
Holloway has been getting bit minutes on 4th line even when he's dressed. Even at that he's scored a goal on a shot which Yama hasn't all season playing exclusively with the # 1,2 producers in the NHL.

Janmark hasn't been getting hardly any topsix looks all season and has more goals than Yama and was parked in Bakersfield due to cap reasons half the season.

Both Janmark and Holloway are guys that can possess the puck and can cycle in opposition end. Yama has shown time and again that a puck is a hand grenade to him in offensive zone. Him having only 35 SOG all season should be shocking to people considering he's been up with McDrai the whole time.

Reactions: ElysiumAB

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
What do the tickets a couple beers and a pretzel set you back? $500?
I’m sure the night will end up some where around that.

I was at the Suisse Czecha game the other day in Halifax. They have actually reasonable prices. Can of Bud Light was $7.75., freshly popped popcorn , and very tasty and generous size was 5$. Halifax will be a zoo tonight. Its a great party city
That’s fantastic.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I should go to therapy.

There’s no way watching these games on the regular is healthy.
In general you should not be extremely dependent on wins in any sports you watch. For just about every fan, it will end in a loss as there can only be one winner, and the top tier of teams are low in number.

But we are currently in one of the worst spots. We have high expectations with a total flake of a team. It's a rollercoaster begging for stability.

The absolute worst would be if a team collapsed and also didn't have their first. That year that the Leafs traded a first for Kessel and then the pick became second overall must have been well. Stutzle+ for Karlsson must have been bad too

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Holloway has been getting bit minutes on 4th line even when he's dressed. Even at that he's scored a goal on a shot which Yama hasn't all season playing exclusively with the # 1,2 producers in the NHL.

Janmark hasn't been getting hardly any topsix looks all season and has more goals than Yama and was parked in Bakersfield due to cap reasons half the season.

Both Janmark and Holloway are guys that can possess the puck and can cycle in opposition end. Yama has shown time and again that a puck is a hand grenade to him in offensive zone. Him having only 35 SOG all season should be shocking to people considering he's been up with McDrai the whole time.
Hardly any topsix looks? 6 of Janmark's 9 points were playing with RNH and Kostin.

Yamo just scored on a shot btw ;)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hardly any topsix looks? 6 of Janmark's 9 points were playing with RNH and Kostin.

Yamo just scored on a shot btw ;)
Most of that was with that as a third line. I wish we could get this Yama more often. He barely ever plays like this anymore. One could see he was jumping to play on topline but where has this jump been from yama this seaosn?

Also Holloway serving notice why he has to be played in topsix. He's got a howitzer of a shot. What a play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad