GDT: Oilers @ Senators - 4 PM - SN West

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
100%
There was far too much of that against the Leafs.

I thought that Perry might have been the best forward in last nights game.
He is getting better as the season rolls along which really isnt a surprise when you consider that the has only played 40 games (in total) so far this season.
I would leave Perry in the lineup.

Perry doesn't take a shift off.
When the team looks like it's going through the motions, he looks pissed off.

Goes to the paint, acts like he GAF, battles for every puck and covers his ass. He needs to be a regular.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Goes to the paint, acts like he GAF, battles for every puck and covers his ass. He needs to be a regular.
Such a good point and I am quoting for emphasis. :nod:

One of this teams biggest issues is that its best players do take shifts off.
Nurse, Draisaitl and Bouchard are perfect examples.
As you said....Perry is the antithesis of that so keeping him in the lineup on this team is very important.
Not to mention that his net front style of play brings a much needed element.
I would even consider having Perry play on the 2nd PP unit.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014

As you said....Perry is the antithesis of that so keeping him in the lineup on this team is very important.
McDavid took a few shifts off last night too. His defense in some games is not where it needs to be

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Its become stale as their always looking for either Draisaitl or Bouchard and Hyman on a rebound/tip, McDavid and Nuge are not much of a threat for a shot. Their puck recovery is decent with the play back to the point to Bouchard or Nuge which is a shame, as when they get it back their intentions are very clear that teams box out their options and they fail to move the puck quickly to try and move the PKers out of position. Seams to be relying on the past performance that they to don't need to innovate,
Goalie lets in 5 goals in two periods. Lets blame the offense that carries this club and that scored 3 goals which is the average scoreline in the league.

This issue isn't the offense as much as a team having to score 3 or more to survive the level of goaltending Skinner provides.

The Oilers outplayed the Leafs on the whole and their goalie only gave up 3.

Could anybody really avoid the obvious that Leafs are getting better goaltending? Samsonov made several stops we weren't getting until Pickard came into the game.

He can't play regular minutes and he can't play at pace. I'm a Perry fan but the version we have is old Perry. He's slower than Connor Brown. It disgusts me to say that..;)

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
100%
There was far too much of that against the Leafs.

I thought that Perry might have been the best forward in last nights game.
He is getting better as the season rolls along which really isnt a surprise when you consider that the has only played 40 games (in total) so far this season.
I would leave Perry in the lineup.
Yeah, Perry might not be the best example.

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Oilers likely blow out the Sens today. Pisses me off that we constantly sh1t the bed in Toronto and surround that game with much better efforts. Would like to see them do to the leafs what they've done to the Pens, and just fully control that series from here on out.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Goalie lets in 5 goals in two periods. Lets blame the offense that carries this club and that scored 3 goals which is the average scoreline in the league.

This issue isn't the offense as much as a team having to score 3 or more to survive the level of goaltending Skinner provides.

The Oilers outplayed the Leafs on the whole and their goalie only gave up 3.

Could anybody really avoid the obvious that Leafs are getting better goaltending? Samsonov made several stops we weren't getting until Pickard came into the game.

He can't play regular minutes and he can't play at pace. I'm a Perry fan but the version we have is old Perry. He's slower than Connor Brown. It disgusts me to say that..;)
Go on the Leafs site. Lots of posters complaining about Samsonov's lateral movement and one of the reasons he keeps getting hurt. And then blasting their own team for letting up in the 3rd and not generating any chances, while allowing the Oilers to do what they wanted.

Interesting timing to slam Perry too, given that he probably was the best Oiler forward last night.:thumbd:

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
I can't believe people are really blaming yesterday on skinner

Between AHL level coverage and our star defenceman trying to avoid physical contact along the board allowing a tick tack toe play

Even the all star pickard would have been left out to dry on those plays

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oilers likely blow out the Sens today. Pisses me off that we constantly sh1t the bed in Toronto and surround that game with much better efforts. Would like to see them do to the leafs what they've done to the Pens, and just fully control that series from here on out.
I hope the Oilers don't think this. The sens can play with pace and make a lot of plays. As the schedule gets compressed the Oilers are experiencing more fatigure and particularly top players. NHL scheduling is grinding us down right before playoffs. Would actually park McDrai a couple games and I said that last season as well. Make some of the other players rise up. hey Kane, hey Nuge, welcome to 2024, try doing something.

Reactions: Duke74

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I hope the Oilers don't think this. The sens can play with pace and make a lot of plays. As the schedule gets compressed the Oilers are experiencing more fatigure and particularly top players. NHL scheduling is grinding us down right before playoffs. Would actually park McDrai a couple games and I said that last season as well. Make some of the other players rise up. hey Kane, hey Nuge, welcome to 2024, try doing something.
Disagree. I hope the Oilers actually DO think this way and come out like gangbusters from the opening whistle, bear down on their chances and stay with it for at least the first period, and hopefully the second. This will make the 3rd period a maintenance period and allow the stars some rest.

Reactions: Biltmore

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Disagree. I hope the Oilers actually DO think this way and come out like gangbusters from the opening whistle, bear down on their chances and stay with it for at least the first period, and hopefully the second. This will make the 3rd period a maintenance period and allow the stars some rest.
I agree.
Maybe stop over passing the puck along the perimeter on the PP as well.
Shoot more and drive to the net.

Reactions: Biltmore and Duke74

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Sens have offence I don't see a blowout more like a 6-4 5-4 outcome

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Gotta get Skinner going after yesterday

Wouldn’t surprise me if Pickard signs somewhere else next year

Skinner can't handle the pressure of being the main goalie, but can't also can't handle the pressure of internal competition.

He also way out of shape, late on almost every pass, out positioned and on his knees before shot being fired. He had a somewhat decent range of motion a couple years ago but he turned into a less dynamic version of mike smith.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Stretching before the game. And now. Beer time! Miller high life is on the menu

1711311378678.png

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McDavid took a few shifts off last night too. His defense in some games is not where it needs to be
Matthews took almost the whole game off. He was terrible in the first two periods making the wrong play nearly everytime he touched the puck. It doesn't matter as much when you have players that will pick up the slack. We have a lot of players that rarely do that. Its always the same guys.

This year its McD, Drai, Hyman accounting for nearly everything this team gets. What? The others not getting paid?

People (not you) will overcredit players like Brown or Perry etc for doing anything, the slightest bit when in totality those players aren't getting much done at all. Henrique too.

These are our topsix players not pissing a drop: Nuge, Kane, Henrique, Perry, You can't have that many top players flatlining at one time. Not just at one time. Kane and Nuge have been cold for a long time. Henrique joining that. Perry old and slow.

We got roster problems. We got pace problems, and Hollands answer is to make the team much older. That was our TDL, make the club even older.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
The real measuring stick is always how the Oilers do against top teams. These games against bottom feeders don't do much- we'll win most of the time. A few months ago, the Oilers were playing well against top teams like the Rangers, Bruins, Panthers. Post all-star break, the Oilers lost to Vegas, Colorado, and now Toronto. Both in the Leafs and Avs games, we were significantly out-chanced and outplayed, and that's with Toronto missing 3 top 9 players. I think this year's Oilers are worse overall than last year's- our bottom 6 is much older and slower, and Kane and Ceci have both fallen off a cliff.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Draisaitl just seems a naturally bigger slower guy who probably has difficulty playing at the same level of fitness every other day.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
The real measuring stick is always how the Oilers do against top teams. These games against bottom feeders don't do much- we'll win most of the time. A few months ago, the Oilers were playing well against top teams like the Rangers, Bruins, Panthers. Post all-star break, the Oilers lost to Vegas, Colorado, and now Toronto. Both in the Leafs and Avs games, we were significantly out-chanced and outplayed, and that's with Toronto missing 3 top 9 players. I think this year's Oilers are worse overall than last year's- our bottom 6 is much older and slower, and Kane and Ceci have both fallen off a cliff.
Time will tell. The top guys are playing worse this year. But the team was rolling last spring and this year before the All-star, with a pretty pathetic stretch to start the season. There may be some surprises come the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Draisaitl just seems a naturally bigger slower guy who probably has difficulty playing at the same level of fitness every other day.
Possibly but being a pro athlete you would think that he is in pretty damn good shape. That being said he does tend to take long shifts so that big body could become an issue in those situations.

I also think that Draisaitl tends to get frustrated and I dont really care for how he lets that affect his game. He quits (gets lazy and sloppy) when that happens and its something he needs to get out of his game.
If he could channel his frustration and use it as a motivator that would be a major step forward IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad