Proposal: Oilers - Sabres

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Because otherwise he wouldn’t include a first round pick and Jones.

So your big brain move is to acquire a player you think has no value by trading someone "you don't need to trade because he has a buyout-friendly contract" along with giving up a 1st and Jones?

5687866.jpg

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
So your big brain move is to acquire a player you think has no value by trading someone "you don't need to trade because he has a buyout-friendly contract" along with giving up a 1st and Jones?

5687866.jpg
Because if you are trying to send Hall to Edmonton you need equal salary to go back as Edmonton has almost 0 cap space banked. Salary cap rules.
Neal is not a desirable piece but has two years left after this one and not a bad guy to have on a rebuilding team.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You need to give up a first just to get rid of James Neal. The rest of your offer boils down to Hall with 50% retained for Caleb Jones. No thanks

The Sabres aren't taking on cap dumps when they already have Skinner and Okposo on the books and need to re-sign Reinhart, Dahlin, Jokiharju, a #1 and #2 goaltender, and LHD in the off season

James Neal is a non-starter to any Sabres proposal unless you're taking Kyle Okposo or Skinner back

Oilers asking the Sabres to take Neal is dumb. The Sabres expecting anyone to take Skinner is “dumber”.

I would offer:

Chiasson+ Marody + 2022 2nd round pick for Hall (50%).

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Because if you are trying to send Hall to Edmonton you need equal salary to go back as Edmonton has almost 0 cap space banked. Salary cap rules.
Neal is not a desirable piece but has two years left after this one and not a bad guy to have on a rebuilding team.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read on here lately

Oilers asking the Sabres to take Neal is dumb. The Sabres expecting anyone to take Skinner is “dumber”.

I would offer:

I wasn't making a counter-proposal, just pointing out that only a homer would think the Sabres would take back a cap dump signed until 2023 on a team that already had Okposo and Skinner, and needed to re-sign/sign a bunch of key pieces

This offer is something I'd do:

Chiasson+ Marody + 2022 2nd round pick for Hall (50%)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
:sabres

Receives:
2021 1st round pick
Caleb Jones
James Neal (30% retained) - $4.025 mil cap hit

:edmonton

Receives:
Taylor Hall (50% retained)

Sabres Rationale: Buffalo gets a first round pick in the upcoming draft, Caleb Jones - a young defenseman with top 4 upside, and a retained Neal who they can buyout for cap flexibility in the off-season (would cost $1.3 mil against the cap for 4 years). They collect assets for Hall who likely isn't re-signing anyway.

Oilers Rationale: Edmonton gets a top 6 impact LW to slot beside Draisaitl, McDavid or Nugent-Hopkins and the cap space to re-sign him in the off-season if he is willing. They give up a first round pick, Jones (who they potentially lose to the expansion draft anyway), and get rid of most of Neal's cap hit (buyout would cost ~$570k against the cap for 4 years).
Make it a 2022 1st instead. Add a 3rd in 2021. It’s really about the Neal dump.

Traveled

Feb 10, 2021
Nope, against giving up assets for Hall. Don't want Hall, hoping the Flames or Leafs sign him to a long and lucrative contract.

So, if not Jones who do the Oilers then lose to the expansion draft? Logic would suggest a better player.
LOL. SAME.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
This is one of the dumbest things I've read on here lately

I wasn't making a counter-proposal, just pointing out that only a homer would think the Sabres would take back a cap dump signed until 2023 on a team that already had Okposo and Skinner, and needed to re-sign/sign a bunch of key pieces

This offer is something I'd do:

Chiasson+ Marody + 2022 2nd round pick for Hall (50%)

Sabres planning big cap expenditures in next two years? Probably not.
Likely shedding Eichel cap hit in next year.
No one will give up a first for Hall or add a young D so it’s a way to use cap space for futures
But will probably just get bought out by Oil as no one likes taking bad cap and otherwise impossible for Oil to grab Hall

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
LOL. SAME.

We need a goal scorer and not a playmaker. Also Hall would probably not getting much pp time.
Also don’t have any cap and would require Neal going the other way which understandably is not ideal for Sabres.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017

I would offer:

Can’t. Cap space going out must almost equal coming in since we didn’t bank any with LTIR

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
HFBoards trade proposals always ignore the fact that the assets being moved around in these deals cost actual money.

Why would the Pegulas authorize this deal which requires them to spend millions of dollars on an unnecessary buyout to move up a couple dozen picks at best from the expected ask?

James Neal or Mikko Koskinen would cost assets to add to a trade on their own without equal salary moving back the other way. Just look at the names that have cleared waivers this season.

Last edited:

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
HFBoards trade proposals always ignore the fact that the assets bring moved around in these deals cost actual money.

Why would the Pegulas authorize this deal which requires them to spend millions of dollars on an unnecessary buyout to move up a couple dozen picks at best from the expected ask?

James Neal or Mikko Koskinen would cost assets to add to a trade on their own without equal salary moving back the other way. Just look at the names that have cleared waivers this season.

Seriously. They won’t even pay for scouts so I doubt they care to pay millions for a draft pick.

Reactions: TFHockey

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
I really don't get why my fellow Sabres object to taking on Neal and buying him out. If we are doing another rebuild, maintaining the cap floor will be more of a concern than having cap space. Before the Sabres have to worry about having cap space again, Neal's buy out will have passed. The Sabres taking on Neal or a contract like his as part of a deal to jump a Hall return from a 2nd to a 1st, is what smart GM's would do.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
"a top 6 impact LW"

Oh so that's why the Devils got better after they traded him, and Arizona got worse when they acquired him. And why Buffalo instantly got worse when they acquired him, and Arizona got better without him.

Wouldn't take him at max retention for a 7th round pick.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
No way in hell Buffalo is dumb enough to take this. Tons of teams out there wouldn't do Neal + Jones + 1st + 2nd for a 7th.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I really don't get why my fellow Sabres object to taking on Neal and buying him out. If we are doing another rebuild, maintaining the cap floor will be more of a concern than having cap space. Before the Sabres have to worry about having cap space again, Neal's buy out will have passed. The Sabres taking on Neal or a contract like his as part of a deal to jump a Hall return from a 2nd to a 1st, is what smart GM's would do.
Remember how many times we did this back in 2014-2015? We never use cap space in a smart way, our gambling addict owner just want flashy players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad