:sabres

Receives:
2021 1st round pick
Caleb Jones
James Neal (30% retained) - $4.025 mil cap hit

:edmonton

Receives:
Taylor Hall (50% retained)

Sabres Rationale: Buffalo gets a first round pick in the upcoming draft, Caleb Jones - a young defenseman with top 4 upside, and a retained Neal who they can buyout for cap flexibility in the off-season (would cost $1.3 mil against the cap for 4 years). They collect assets for Hall who likely isn't re-signing anyway.

Oilers Rationale: Edmonton gets a top 6 impact LW to slot beside Draisaitl, McDavid or Nugent-Hopkins and the cap space to re-sign him in the off-season if he is willing. They give up a first round pick, Jones (who they potentially lose to the expansion draft anyway), and get rid of most of Neal's cap hit (buyout would cost ~$570k against the cap for 4 years).

Last edited:

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Could've gone in all other Hall threads.

Neal's buyout is not even 2M per. Holland should just buy him out instead of burning a first to get rid of him especially when the 30% retension is close to the 2M mark.

Not expecting either fanbase to be happy with it so I guess that makes it a fair offer.

Koskinen + Jones makes more sense to me.

Feb 9, 2013
Nope, against giving up assets for Hall. Don't want Hall, hoping the Flames or Leafs sign him to a long and lucrative contract.

So, if not Jones who do the Oilers then lose to the expansion draft? Logic would suggest a better player.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Neal sucks. Zero interest in taking him on for a mid to late first in a bad draft that most teams have been unable to properly scout. Jones isn't particularly valuable either especially with the expansion draft looming. Then throw in Taylor Hall who should be able to get a 2nd + a B-prospect at the deadline without taking a cap dump with term on and the deal looks even worse for Buffalo.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Could've gone in all other Hall threads.

Neal's buyout is not even 2M per. Holland should just buy him out instead of burning a first to get rid of him especially when the 30% retension is close to the 2M mark.

Not expecting either fanbase to be happy with it so I guess that makes it a fair offer.

Koskinen + Jones makes more sense to me.

I agree but not sure if Holland is willing to roll the dice on a Smith Stalock tandem the rest of the way. Also not sure if Koskinen has any value either.

Reactions: TFHockey

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Nope not taking on Neal when we already have anchors in Okposo and Skinner

Nope, against giving up assets for Hall. Don't want Hall, hoping the Flames or Leafs sign him to a long and lucrative contract.

So, if not Jones who do the Oilers then lose to the expansion draft? Logic would suggest a better player.

Neal sucks. Zero interest in taking him on for a mid to late first in a bad draft that most teams have been unable to properly scout. Jones isn't particularly valuable either especially with the expansion draft looming. Then throw in Taylor Hall who should be able to get a 2nd + a B-prospect at the deadline without taking a cap dump with term on and the deal looks even worse for Buffalo.

Both teams hate it? Wow it must be a good deal then! :sarcasm:

I don't think Hall has as much value as people think, especially with his NMC and cap hit.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
This would be a good deal for both teams if Buffalo buys out Neal in the off season.

Buffalo gets a 1st for buying out Neal. 1.3 x 4 for Buffalo and 0.6 x 4 for Edmonton. The rest of the deal breaks down as Jones for a retained Hall which is probably a better offer then the 2nd or late 1st that other teams will offer since Jones could potentially be a 2nd pairing Dman.

Jones is also who Seattle will select from Edmonton so it would be smart to try and get something for him before the expansion draft, even if it’s just a rental.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
If they want Hall, they should just get Hall without trying to dump Neal, which I don’t think Holland would do.

And if a 1st is required to get Hall (which I sincerely doubt), then the Oilers need to look elsewhere.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
If they want Hall, they should just get Hall without trying to dump Neal, which I don’t think Holland would do.

And if a 1st is required to get Hall (which I sincerely doubt), then the Oilers need to look elsewhere.

Outside of these boards I don't think anyone is talking Hall for a 1st.

Neal is a prime buyout candidate. He'll be gone next year and the $2 Million dollar buyout cap hit is reasonable.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
You need to give up a first just to get rid of James Neal. The rest of your offer boils down to Hall with 50% retained for Caleb Jones. No thanks

The Sabres aren't taking on cap dumps when they already have Skinner and Okposo on the books and need to re-sign Reinhart, Dahlin, Jokiharju, a #1 and #2 goaltender, and LHD in the off season

James Neal is a non-starter to any Sabres proposal unless you're taking Kyle Okposo or Skinner back

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
You need to give up a first just to get rid of James Neal. The rest of your offer boils down to Hall with 50% retained for Caleb Jones. No thanks

The Sabres aren't taking on cap dumps when they already have Skinner and Okposo on the books and need to re-sign Reinhart, Dahlin, Jokiharju, a #1 and #2 goaltender, and LHD in the off season

James Neal is a non-starter to any Sabres proposal unless you're taking Kyle Okposo or Skinner back

Why would the Oilers take a WORSE contract back than James Neal? Skinner's is the worst in the league. Jebus man, I can understand why you don't want Neal but you'd have to move heaven and earth to get out from those contracts.

explore

Jun 28, 2011
Why would the Oilers take a WORSE contract back than James Neal? Skinner's is the worst in the league. Jebus man, I can understand why you don't want Neal but you'd have to move heaven and earth to get out from those contracts.

Re-read what I wrote. I wasn't making a counter proposal, just pointing out how homerish OP's offer was considering the RFAs the Sabres need to re-sign along with the holes they need to fill in the offseason

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

James Neal’s contract is buyout friendly, especially with retention. I’m sure Holland would rather buy him out than trade a first just to get rid of him.

Reactions: ivanlwan

explore

Jun 28, 2011
James Neal’s contract is buyout friendly, especially with retention. I’m sure Holland would rather buy him out than trade a first just to get rid of him.

Then why are you including him to the Sabres?

Your offer boils down to:

James Neal (signed until 2023) for a 1st
Caleb Jones for Hall at 50%

That's not remotely something the Sabres would be interested in

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Then why are you including him to the Sabres?

Your offer boils down to:

James Neal (signed until 2023) for a 1st
Caleb Jones for Hall at 50%

That's not remotely something the Sabres would be interested in
Because otherwise he wouldn’t include a first round pick and Jones.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
You can buy him out snd get hit $2M for 4 yrs with a buy out.

Jones is not ED exempt. He’s worthless to buffalo as s LD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad