News Article: Oilers release Burdasov from PTO

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
With the bad blood involving Yak, Slepy, Burdasov do we ever get a Russian forward to come and try it here again?
Could have been cut or let go for a number of reasons. Maybe the language barrier, we saw that problem with pool party. Maybe he wanted too much money, more than KH was willing to give. Maybe he only wanted top 6 minutes and tipp doesn't trust him there after only 2 preseason games.

I would have liked to have hung on to him as well, but it isn't a big loss. I still feel our scoring depth will be lights years better than last year.

I don't think it was a money issue at all, he was willing to even go down and play in the AHL. Maybe language but he adapted to the NHL rink perfectly, after a long-ass flight. Should've given him at least one more game, he did get an assist on that Bear goal and he seemed very apt in his position. When we're bitching about needing a guy like him later in the season I'll be sure to bring up this bad move :D

Reactions: dssource

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Khaira is proven. lmao. Khaira has only ever been here under Chiarellis scorched earth policy of ridding this team of talent for years to the bombed out detonated cinder where guys like Colby Cave, Manning, and Khaira are foisted on the unsuspecting public.

Khaira is, and always has been a complete nothing player.

Much easier on my eyes to have a big body like Burdasov that actually possesses some talent.

Too much to ask for in the name of entertainment I guess. One more season of seeing Khaira hack the puck to bits and do little else.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I don't think it was a money issue at all, he was willing to even go down and play in the AHL. Maybe language but he adapted to the NHL rink perfectly, after a long-ass flight. Should've given him at least one more game, he did get an assist on that Bear goal and he seemed very apt in his position. When we're *****ing about needing a guy like him later in the season I'll be sure to bring up this bad move :D

One-Way contract is what he demanded

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I told you all this would happen. Guys like Granlund and Khaira are a lock because they are proven and can PK. Oilers weren't going to use a contract on an unproven. Kind of stupid that he wasn't signed before camp to give him a fighting chance but it is what it is.

My personal opinion is that he showed off NHL ability and outplayed a few other bubble guys with less practice time, less time to adjust to new culture and less games to show what he's got so I would have given him a contract but I'm not Kenny Holland.
he was holding out for a 1-way contract...which no team was willing to give him
finally had to accept a PTO but by then it was too late

Reactions: CycloneSweep

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Unless he was looking for 2.5M one way deal this is stupid.

If we released him because he asked for a 900k one way deal then it's pathetic GMing

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't think it was a money issue at all, he was willing to even go down and play in the AHL. Maybe language but he adapted to the NHL rink perfectly, after a long-ass flight. Should've given him at least one more game, he did get an assist on that Bear goal and he seemed very apt in his position. When we're *****ing about needing a guy like him later in the season I'll be sure to bring up this bad move :D
This will be brought up in fire Holland thread which will start sometimes in November during a bad stretch

Reactions: Porkleaker

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
One way contract has nothing to do with going to the AHL.

Actually it does. it means he would have been paid an NHL salary while in the AHL which means the Oilers would be taking a cap hit. If he really wanted to he could have taken a 2way contract

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Actually it does. it means he would have been paid an NHL salary while in the AHL which means the Oilers would be taking a cap hit. If he really wanted to he could have taken a 2way contract
You know you can bury up to like 1.015m in the AHL? I doubt he would cost much more than that.

So no, it doesn’t mean anything for going to the AHL.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I doubt it. He showed up to camp in the middle of it. How can anyone make an impression in half of the time unless he scored like a hat trick in the 2 games he played in?

If you had worked in professional hockey for 25 years, you would have a trained eye for talent. He came from KHL, visa problems this and thats. I can actually put that aside, especially when he outplayed a lots of guys in just some week. If they dont like that in the org, than that´s a warning sign for our bottom 6 this season, and its not going to be pretty....
I dont care if Khaira, Cave or Sheahan has played in NHL many games before. If you just collect hard fighters without talent, you will not win many games. Holland let talent slip out of his hand. Im not happy. At all. Granlund better bring it, maybe getting at least a extra zip of half the talent his brother has.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
You know you can bury up to like 1.015m in the AHL? I doubt he would cost much more than that.

So no, it doesn’t mean anything for going to the AHL.

And I think ~1 to 1.5M (or whatever he was looking for assuming it wasn’t outrageous like 4M) is a drop in the bucket for Katz in terms of real money.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If you had worked in professional hockey for 25 years, you would have a trained eye for talent. He came from KHL, visa problems this and thats. I can actually put that aside, especially when he outplayed a lots of guys in just some week. If they dont like that in the org, than that´s a warning sign for our bottom 6 this season, and its not going to be pretty....
I dont care if Khaira, Cave or Sheahan has played in NHL many games before. If you just collect hard fighters without talent, you will not win many games. Holland let talent slip out of his hand. Im not happy. At all. Granlund better bring it, maybe getting at least a extra zip of half the talent his brother has.
Should you be criticizing anyone of their posts or opinions? I’ve seen some of your posts.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Either way, he should have started since the beginning and it didn't pan out. Plus language barrier could be a big thing too. Who knows? Either way, unless he is gonna be a Top 6 20-30 goal stud, I'm not broken up by this.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Plenty of good reasons why they wouldn't take him.

-Can't speak English - questions about coachability
-Not experienced on big ice yet
-Maybe couldn't agree on terms and his agent was being unreasonable - we don't know. I wouldn't pay the guy 1.7 based on a couple preseason games

etc. I agree he had potential. Not enough time to make a decision though, really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad